• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The New Years Rig/Project!

• Thread starter Troy T. Blues
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Hello everyone and Happy Holidays to you all!

Long story short - It took me a while to find, but I recently acquired an early JCM800 1936 cabinet. The one with the top handle. I had a couple of these back in the day, but stupidly sold them. I love these cabs!!! I've been wanting another, especially since I'm fully into Marshall-land. This one came with the dreaded G12-70's, so I put my usual V30's in it. I wished that it had the G12M-65's, but it didn't.

Anyways, 2023 will bring for me a new project. I haven't had a band since 2018 and I'm getting older now, so it's time. I have a great drummer in line and a fantastic bass player, who is an old friend. It will be mostly a writing/recording project, maybe an occasional gig. Now that I have the cab I've wanted (sounds killer and easier for me to transport than the standard sized 1936 cabs) I've been trying to decide on which head to use. It has come down to the DSL100HR and my 1989 2205. At first, I was totally going with the DSL due to it's incredible versatility. I thought that the 2205 sounded just a bit too "metal" for me. However!

I had time this morning and did another comparison with fresh ears and so far, I'm now leaning towards the 2205. I turned the gain down to half way and kicking with pedals if need be, It just sounds great! It sure is an awesome match with that cab too! Any thoughts/comments are welcomed. The genre is blues/rock on the heavier side. Subject to change, but this is where I'm at right now.

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice cab Troy, congrats man! Your 2023 plans sound like lots of fun. So is it just the three of you, a power trio?

Hey man, I see you’re in Connecticut, do you mind posting the town? I’m originally from Danbury Ct., born and raised.

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Nice cab Troy, congrats man! Your 2023 plans sound like lots of fun. So is it just the three of you, a power trio?

Hey man, I see you’re in Connecticut, do you mind posting the town? I’m originally from Danbury Ct., born and raised.
@scozz, yes a power trio. This quite a rare cab to find. So, this project starts in March, after the winter is over and I'm looking forward to it. Me and bass player are handling vocals, but mostly me.

Cool! Yeah, I'm in the Hartford area.

Latest posts