The Official Marshall Studio JTM ST20 Thread

• Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sealysea

Reaction score
How does this amp sound when paired with the JohnH Attenuator? Is it possible to get it cranked past 4 o'clock while maintaining a 80-90 dB level?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
How does this amp sound when paired with the JohnH Attenuator? Is it possible to get it cranked past 4 o'clock while maintaining a 80-90 dB level?
you can get a good cranked sound at conversation levels...

svinyard

Reaction score
I'm positive that is an option. Because I can do that on my SV and the ST isn't massively different. If you need it real quiet, then you bump the amp down to 5w mode (Power Scaling) and it's very quiet. The JohnH M2 will remove approx 31db and works extremely well with these 4 holers.

sealysea

Reaction score
@svinyard @Dogs of Doom
Thanks! One more question, which 1x12 cabinet will be a better match? Should I go for the matching creamback cab or get a 1974CX Greenback? I'm not sure what kind of sound I want, but I like rock and funk.

svinyard

Reaction score
@svinyard @Dogs of Doom
Thanks! One more question, which 1x12 cabinet will be a better match? Should I go for the matching creamback cab or get a 1974CX Greenback? I'm not sure what kind of sound I want, but I like rock and funk.

I was recommended to get one of these instead:

Marshall 1965 cab (a or b...B is better but the aesthetic isn't as good as the slant if that matters)

It's worlds beyond a 1x12 in sound and only like 35lbs and easy enough to move to location (tho not as easy as a small 1x12 with handle). You get some of the 4x12 goodness without the size and weight...it's a good compromise. They sound fantastic with tons of punch which is important for the 20w stuff imo. The speakers are usually from the early 80's and excellent but newer10" greenbacks are great in them too. I got mine in good (not great) condition for about 350$. So worth it. The cab is nearly half the tone...don't skimp unless you have too.

IMG_4749.jpg

Frodebro

Reaction score
Picked up an ST20 combo yesterday, and have had a few hours to goof around with it. I'm running it in 4CM with a Fractal FM9T, and have been working on a few presets for the songs I do with my band.

One thing that I like is that I can dial up the normal and HT volumes quite a bit and get a nice crunch going, but still control the volume with the FM9 in the loop. Obviously it's not pushing the power section at all, but I'm not terribly concerned with that because it still sounds the way I want it to.

When I have some free time this weekend I'm going to mess around with running the Fractal JTM 45 model in place of the ST20s preamp, so I'll have much more flexibility in getting different levels of gain happening without having to mess with the controls on the amp itself. But mostly I'll be using the amp itself with a few pedals to goose it.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
How is the effects loop on these amps, does it work right, is it quiet? I have an SC and the effects loop sucks. I had a combo before I sold it and bought a head version and the effect's loop sucked on it, too. Very noisy on both of them. I'm going to sell my SC and get an ST (for several reasons) and I'm just hoping the FX loop is better on these. :fingersx:

JoRow

Reaction score
I do notice a bit of noise and it does affect the tone. Not too bad, but the FX loop is not its strong point.
The little push button to turn the loop on is kind of crappy.
I don’t know how it compared to the SV or SC loop.
Having said that, im happy with this amp. Probably in no way compares to a real JTM but this thing has its own character and it is very Marshally.
Really good clean tones, and at fairly low volume if needed.
Great with a drive pedal or turn it up with channels bridged.
I have the combo.

Daddydeluxe

Reaction score
Nice cleans, but loud as F&%! through a 1960a 300w even in 5w mode to get driven. Seriously has more balls than the DSL100HR, but I think the master volume helps the DSL get tones at much lower volume. Rockcrusher is necessary. Waiting on St212 cabinet sill and hoping that is a little more tame than the 1960a...

Attachments

• IMG_8619 2.jpeg
    IMG_8619 2.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 4

Frodebro

Reaction score
How is the effects loop on these amps, does it work right, is it quiet? I have an SC and the effects loop sucks. I had a combo before I sold it and bought a head version and the effect's loop sucked on it, too. Very noisy on both of them. I'm going to sell my SC and get an ST (for several reasons) and I'm just hoping the FX loop is better on these. :fingersx:

I’ve been running mine in 4CM with a Fractal FM9, and haven’t really noticed any issues with it.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m surprised this thread isn’t more active, I thought this amp would be more popular.

Could it be the aesthetics,… maybe being 20 watts, just 10 watts less than the 45?

JoRow

Reaction score
A couple of theories on this:

SC20 and SV20 use EL34s, The same tubes used in the amps they are attempting to replicate.

ST20 use 5881 tubes. The JTM45 used KT66 valves which would have been impractical and expensive to use in the studio series.
ST is naturally going to differ quite a bit to the JTM45 which would be the most difficult one to replicate in a 20w studio amp.

Maybe this contributes to the reason why the ST20 is more of its own thing and is not really being compared or talked about in relation to the JTM45.

Or maybe people are just having too much fun playing their ST20s to bother talking about them here!

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
A couple of theories on this:

SC20 and SV20 use EL34s, The same tubes used in the amps they are attempting to replicate.

ST20 use 5881 tubes. The JTM45 used KT66 valves which would have been impractical and expensive to use in the studio series.
ST is naturally going to differ quite a bit to the JTM45 which would be the most difficult one to replicate in a 20w studio amp.

Maybe this contributes to the reason why the ST20 is more of its own thing and is not really being compared or talked about in relation to the JTM45.

Or maybe people are just having too much fun playing their ST20s to bother talking about them here!

Another reason may be that no one can get them here in the US. My SC took about 90 days to get it.

Sweet amp! I love what I have heard so far. They really did a great job with all the Studio Series IMO

goldtop0

Reaction score
As an adjunct to this subject, I bought myself a recently made ' The Guv'nor ' pedal after giving mine away many many moons ago in the late '90s.
Trying it again reinforced my understanding that you can't go past the tube driven overdrive sound from the amp itself JTM45, ST20 or SV20, no surprise with that one at all.

Latest posts