• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Stylus Pick

• Thread starter mcblink
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mcblink

Reaction score
logo.png

So I always saw the ads for these in the back of the guitar magazines and always thought it was kinda gimmicky, but a member here recommended them so I thought I'd give them a whirl. Got a pack of three in the mail yesterday, and there's a basic instruction .pdf on their site, but so far that's all I know about these. Played around with one for a bit, they are a bit smaller than I expected.

They feel weird as heck. I don't really know whether or not I like it yet, as it seems that the desired result is "Reducing tension in the arm, wrist and hand" but so far when I use it, it's only caused me to tense up more. Obviously, I guess, I'm using it wrong.

So, had anyone else had experience with these? Got any pointers? Or exercises? I would like to think that they could really work, but I think first, I need to figure out how to use it correctly.

mcblink

Reaction score
No. I'm sorry, but you are not using those things here.

full

Ah, just kidding. Use whatever works for ya bro. ;)
I don't see the pic, therefore I don't really know what you're talking about.
Never used one before, so...
FWIW I normally use .60 tortex and nothing else and it's been that way for years and years, and that's what works for me. I'm not sure if these will or not.

Last edited:

mcblink

Reaction score
:hmm:

best picks EVER.
You're just the guy I was hoping to chime in here...

So, these are more of a training tool than a pick to actually use for playing with, correct? What am I supposed to do with it other than tremolo pick everything to try and build speed? I feel like I'm actually pretty fast and accurate with my normal pick already, which their site says something like "If you had no problems with accurate gauging to begin with, you are free to enjoy all the high speed picking benefits of the STYLUS PICK."

So, I mean, how do I make this thing work to my advantage? Are there specific routines or something to make the most of it?

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Yeah they've been around for some time too, but like I said, I always kinda figured it was a bit gimmicky but after doinking around for a bit with one I believe I can see the potential in them.

I don't see the pic, therefore I don't really know what you're talking about.
Never used one before, so...
FWIW I normally use .60 tortex and nothing else and it's been that way for years and years, and that's what works for me. I'm not sure if these will or not.
Sorry, I was just makin' a funny.

.60 tortexes are pretty thin, you obviously have a very light touch, light strings and low action. I use the big purple tortexes, 1.14mm. It' unnecessary, but they seem to be the only things that give me the tone and attack I like. I see a lot of Les Paul players who look like they're petting a kitten when they play. I beat the hell out of 'em. But I think I started off early as a drummer, then a bass player, then went to acoustic guitar, then electric, and so my touch ain't gonna be all gentle-like. :D

mcblink

Reaction score
Sorry, I was just makin' a funny.

.60 tortexes are pretty thin, you obviously have a very light touch, light strings and low action. I use the big purple tortexes, 1.14mm. It' unnecessary, but they seem to be the only things that give me the tone and attack I like. I see a lot of Les Paul players who look like they're petting a kitten when they play. I beat the hell out of 'em. But I think I started off early as a drummer, then a bass player, then went to acoustic guitar, then electric, and so my touch ain't gonna be all gentle-like. :D
I like to call it "finesse" lol, I use .011-.048, and low action for sure.

I do get plenty rough at times too though, which is part of the reason I like the tortex so much. I've never had one break. If I get too much thicker though I feel like I'm playing with a board.

I'm not strictly a metal player either though, I really love playing all kinds of music, especially blues.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
I like to call it "finesse" lol, I use .011-.048, and low action for sure.

I do get plenty rough at times too though, which is part of the reason I like the tortex so much. I've never had one break. If I get too much thicker though I feel like I'm playing with a board.

I'm not strictly a metal player either though, I really love playing all kinds of music, especially blues.
Yeah, wow - so you use a .60 Tortex and .011 strings. That's unique. :yesway: I've tried that, but I have to have the heaviest pick because I don't like any floppiness. I have often used 11's tuned down 1/2 step and in that case I use the blue 1.0mm Tortexes. Anyway, I've seen those diamonds around. I think I had one maybe 20 years ago and that upper edge kept catching on my strings. They seem more geared toward players who use that technique where they circle their picking by moving their fingers rather than their whole hand. I move my whole arm. That thing could never work for a guy like me. :D

mcblink

Reaction score
Yeah, wow - so you use a .60 Tortex and .011 strings. That's unique. :yesway: I've tried that, but I have to have the heaviest pick because I don't like any floppiness. I have often used 11's tuned down 1/2 step and in that case I use the blue 1.0mm Tortexes. Anyway, I've seen those diamonds around. I think I had one maybe 20 years ago and that upper edge kept catching on my strings. They seem more geared toward players who use that technique where they circle their picking by moving their fingers rather than their whole hand. I move my whole arm. That thing could never work for a guy like me. :D
Some level of uniqueness has always been one of my goals. I do use lower tunings... One guitar is in E standard, another in D standard, one in Eb standard and one for Dropped-D. Same strings on all of them, obviously the one in E is going to require slightly more effort to fret than the one in D...

I'm not a user of the circular picking, really, I use my wrist mostly, I think. I never had lessons so when I was just learning I did a lot of it by watching my favorites, reading their interviews and stuff.....I suppose in a sense, Hetfield, Hammett and Mustaine taught me to play lol

But then there was guys like SRV who I ended up picking up a few things through watching as well.

I have had the upper edge catch once in a while too, which I guess means I was digging slightly too deep on the attack. I think the idea is to use that to train your hand not to dig that far and thus increase speed??

flyinguitars

Reaction score

I use the same

flyinguitars

Reaction score
What's that, .60's and 11's? If so, do you tune down for the singer?
I actually prefer a little bit lighter like a .58 but the pic printing company only has .60 so I've been using them for a while now. We do turn down sometimes but I prefer to play in standard. I trimmed a clip that I recently posted of some picking on my new kemper.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
What if we wanna know?!?!

just buy a pk. they are cheep. but if your not willing to set down and actually PRACTICE,
then don't waste your time or $$. if you expect instant results, again don't waste your time or money.
you will get out what you put into these things. just like practicing guitar, you get out what you put in.
huge difference between practicing, and jamming/playing.

Latest posts