The Thing About Rockstars

• Thread starter Ghost
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
I hope it’s not because you look like mick jones, lol
LOL! I look just like Mick Jones right now.

No, as far as I know we are not doing "the look" thing. It hasn't been discussed to my knowledge, but I draw the line there. I'm already on the fence about playing someone else's music, I for damn sure am not dressing up like them too. No chance.

Ghostman

Reaction score
Hey, I'm opened minded and willing to try anything. I already play in two original material bands. I think I have room in my soul to try this and still feel like I'm being a creative, original person.

But no, there's no way it's going to work.
well one thing about Punk is it feeds off of hate. So it may just work out better than you expected. :D

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
utbQ-Ar-Dc73FRm20LJ7PSA09pQluHXbqonJe9ekGSyqBn2jJd3VNwOClk-jeF3lpPT1wxP7MZAulAlNE-Z_WvzIpUrHwmJIqrcbGoQ=w226-h309-nc

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Typiical EL Bastard o - thread destroyer does not like some one disagreing with them and tries to start a flame war lol. Im not bitting :)
And I thought I was imaginig this. Lmao
We all know only one person can be right.
l5z87.jpg

Last edited:

tone seaker

Reaction score
Where the Rock Rolls Hard and the Blues Rains Down
Lol put it on your ignore list. I’ve got 2 on mine and it makes the forum so much better.
There are two of them (possibly alts) and for some reason they are allowed to run wild over thread after thread here with pages of useless argumentative rehtoric. they have run lots of people off :(

Its shows true colors when you ask one of them (bastard boy) to post some of there supposed clips and they put a link in there signiture like I have in mine, but when you click on there's there is a giff of Jack Nickleson shooting the finger at you. They probaly dont even own a guitar since they have never posted any gear and troll different forums starting trouble all over the internet.

Gona try the ignore thing again but it makes the threads not make since :(

Last edited:

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
As to the original post, there's no predestined thing about becoming a "rockstar"IMHO..It's a matter of having the raw talent, unyielding drive, the willingness to work your ass off to become a better player, and a lot of luck to boot. Having a certain "look" sure as hell don't hurt, but it's not a prerequisite to achieving success in the world of Rock & Roll..

A case in point is a very successful pro player I know, he was very good when he was playing in local clubs in my hometown back in the day..One night he was asked to sub for another player who couldn't make it to a gig, and the manager of a well-known country musician was there seeking out a new guitarist..He offered my friend the gig, he took it and never looked back..Along the way he befriended some other well-known guitarists and eventually moved into a spot playing guitar for one of the most well-known southern rock bands in R&R history, as well as other now-famous side projects..But the one thing I noticed following his career is that he never lost focus on what he does-He loves playing guitar with a passion and has always moved forward and strived to become a better player, which he has done very, very successfully.

I know other players, one in particular who is a mutual friend of ours, who is just as good..In some regards even better in that he can play pretty much anything you can throw at him..Jazz, classical, you name it, along with being able to read music and charts like a pro.

He never became a "rockstar", but he has had a very successful career anyhoo through a combination of gigging locally and teaching guitar.

A very good read is the book "Guitar People" by Willie F. Moseley..It's a compliation of interviews he did with pro players for Vintage Guitar magazine..A recurring theme I noticed was how a lot of them, like Billy Gibbons, were the kids of professional musicians or entertainers, but an even more recurring theme was how they were nurtured and encouraged by their parents, rather than being yelled at to "Turn that damn thing down!" from the next room because Mom or Dad can't hear the freakin' TV.

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
That is one factor with guitar playing , you are dedicated to a work ethic at some point. You have to put time on the fret board. I am getting to old to be good and I say that not so much of age but the time I wasted up until this point.

Take a look at bands like Rush and Iron Maiden. Tireless touring early on helped make them a success.

Ghostman

Reaction score
That is one factor with guitar playing , you are dedicated to a work ethic at some point. You have to put time on the fret board. I am getting to old to be good and I say that not so much of age but the time I wasted up until this point.

Take a look at bands like Rush and Iron Maiden. Tireless touring early on helped make them a success.
and then you read about guitarists like Vince Gill who practices for eight hours a day.

Eight.

Eight hours a day! holy hell.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
I heard about Dime standing in front of a mirror for hours, his brother would ask him when he was going to learn to play the thing!

EVH was said to have sat on the bed with his guitar for hours on end, everyone would go out and he'd be sitting there, they got home and he was still there.

Dedication.