The YJM-100

• Thread starter DSL100 Dude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rich24a

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, gman! :wave: Congratulations on getting the YJM, how come you returned the AFD100?

gman4

Reaction score
rick24a;

the afd was the original amp i had been tracking for over the past year or so, and was very much looking forward to getting that first....

presentation-wise i was very impressed with the packaging, presentation, etc. it did look like marshall put some decent effort into the product. unfortunately, when i set it up, no matter what guitar or setting i tried, it just came out very very thin and icy sounding....

to be honest i was shocked.... i had done so much research and listened to various clips and such and i couldnt believe just how much of a, hmmm, 'non-rock sound' it was.... and so trebly and icy....

having said that, obviously there are those that just love the damn thing and i think that's great.... i really, really wanted to like it....

gman4

Reaction score
ok for dsl100.... just to prove i'm not at home 'really' playing with the saturation knob on my peavey bandit 65 lol....

here's a quick iPhone pic.... when i was a/b-ing with the jvm....

Attachments

• IMG_1175.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 19

bbjones

Reaction score
Got mine last week. Put the deposit down back in February... that was a long wait but worth it :)

I know how much I was looking forward to getting mine so here's some pics, assuming you care about the packing and stuff :p

(hope this works this being my first post here...)

back.jpg

boost.jpg

boxend.jpg

boxlogo.jpg

buildsheet.jpg

certificate.jpg

bbjones

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I've lurked for ages since I'm always interested in plexis or vintage marshalls since I do a lot of AC/DC covers. The YJM100 was like a dream amp! :)

I tried to split the pics up but looks like the second post got ditched by moderators or something...

I'll post more pics if this post makes it through

The size difference between a JCM800
compareback.jpg

comparefront.jpg

Can't miss this cover
cover.jpg

Close ups are always fun
coverlogo.jpg

More back panel
fxloop.jpg

outputs.jpg

sigs.jpg

Floor control... this thing sucks since the lights are all off to the right, going to cause big problems on stage I'm thinking...
footswitch.jpg

And finally, the halfstack, RI greenback 4x12... play a fullstack live of course :)
halfstack.jpg

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
AWESOME PICS!!!!

That is one fine sexy amp ya got there. Any chances at all of getting a peek under the hood?

Congratulations dude! :dude:

bbjones

Reaction score
I'll see what I can do. With the extra cabinet size I imagine there are lots of parts in there :p

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
Floor control... this thing sucks since the lights are all off to the right, going to cause big problems on stage I'm thinking...
footswitch.jpg

rest assured, once you have the hang of it you'll be comfortable with that... the JVM's footswitch has 7 leds on the right and somehow you learn to recognise the "codes" you're getting

Mats A

Reaction score
rick24a;

the afd was the original amp i had been tracking for over the past year or so, and was very much looking forward to getting that first....

presentation-wise i was very impressed with the packaging, presentation, etc. it did look like marshall put some decent effort into the product. unfortunately, when i set it up, no matter what guitar or setting i tried, it just came out very very thin and icy sounding....

to be honest i was shocked.... i had done so much research and listened to various clips and such and i couldnt believe just how much of a, hmmm, 'non-rock sound' it was.... and so trebly and icy....

having said that, obviously there are those that just love the damn thing and i think that's great.... i really, really wanted to like it....

Wonder did you only use the #34 mode? I read some guys say the AFD sounds thin. My AFD playing a Les Paul is rather fat sounding. I´ve recorded and compared it to a Vintage Modern, JVM, Plexi Reissue and a DSL and it is almost the ballsiest sounding of them all.

TPR

Reaction score
Jeebus. The box says "Two Person Lift". Ya gotta hire a roadie every time you gig with it?

drewz120

Reaction score
What company did you order it through? I still waiting on SW

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
Wonder did you only use the #34 mode? I read some guys say the AFD sounds thin. My AFD playing a Les Paul is rather fat sounding.

same here... actually, when setting the EQ indepentendly for each mode, i prefer #34... but maybe that's because i combine the AFD poweramp with the JVM poweramp...
anyway, the AFD100 records extremely well... i've heard a clip where santiago plays a lead part on a couple of tracks from a spanish metalband, where he was using an explorer, straight into the AFD100 with a 1960 V30 loaded cab... sounded really really good... he's one hell of a player as well...:)

gman4

Reaction score
Jeebus. The box says "Two Person Lift". Ya gotta hire a roadie every time you gig with it?

LOL.... ironically, and surprisingly, i find it easier to deal with than my old JVM....

but that's "out of said box"....

carrying it from my car into the house "inside said box" alone i must have looked like a bad outtake of Jim Caviezel staggering through the streets with his cross in 'the passion of the christ'.... it really was that comical....:)

gman4

Reaction score
oh i tried every combination of mode, setting, cab/speaker, guitar, etc. etc.

and every clip i had heard/seen online had for the most part come across really well....

funny, one of my techs just laughed it off to the fact that it had 6550's in it and he "knew" i would hate that tube going in.... perhaps he was right.... i thought there had to be something wrong with the amp, because regardless of what i would think of the tone, it just was shockingly soooo thin.... that it wasnt about one's preference and being finicky.... i was so disappointed because i really was looking forward to that amp....

ironically, in the end, for me at least, i found the clips of the afd were far better than what i experienced live with it, and the yjm clips were far INferior to what i have experienced thus far with the amp and really dont do the thing justice.... go figure....

gman4

Reaction score
ok, some random thoughts on owning the YJM.... (otherwise i'm never going to get this done if i try to properly write an opus....lol) and it IS 3:30 am where i am.... lol

1. the thing is LOUD.... like, really, really LOUD. with the attenuator at half, the thing can rattle windows and split dry wall LOL. i cant even imagine using an original as in the 1960's dimed in anything smaller than a large field in upstate new york....

to which i must say the attentuator works great. at lower levels i can get a great tone and wail away for hours. the only problem is that the amp is like an elite sports car where when driving it, you think youre crusiing comfortably only to find the gauge at 180 km/hr.... lol this amp does that to you.... you keep letting the attenuation creep up and up until you realize youre one session away from joining pete townsend in perpetual ear ringing mode.... and this has proved problematic when i'm playing my vibro-king now: i have found the volume on that amp has gone up since getting the yjm.

2. tone: is awesome. as much as i enjoyed my JVM, this is in a whole different league. whereas on the jvm one can cover sloppy playing, this amp has such articulation that it can expose your bad playing, which is a good thing, because it forces you to be a better player, and when you are, the results are magnificent. also very articulate in note separation and chords simply come alive without turning to a distorted mush in the high and low registers....

3. 50/100w switch: what a great feature. there is a noticeable volume and tonal difference between the two settings. the 100w is a more classic rock sound and i find the 50w more spongy and better for van halen and such....

some have complained on youtube etc. that the amp (100w) settings are cold and devoid of feeling, which at first pass is a fair observation, but after playing around with it i see a huge value to the tones, and remember most of the clips so far are people playing solo.... i could see this easily cutting through a mix with full band.

4. the sound gets better with more speakers (lol) most of the clips are one stack only, but put 2 in there and wow.... just thickens things up....

5. layout: i know there has been considerable discussion over many forums for months on the vintage/modern layout of the amp, and people opining whether or not it makes any sense.... rest assured it actually does. i would say pretty much all of the concerns about layout and access are unfounded, now that i have given the thing a couple of weeks. here's why.... once you set the back parameters, really other than twiddling around with the attenuator/50-100 option, you really dont need to be back there. and funny enough, once you get used to it, you can actually just reach over and grab the right knob/switch intuitively without even looking. it really is that easy. so no need to turn the amp around on stage. put it this way, if you were a pianist playing a 100k$ steinway piano, you wouldnt be complaining about the lack of multiple sounds coming out of it.... it's a steinway with 'a' sound. this amp is the same. once you find your personal sweet spot, you really dont have a desire to mess with it. it's a beautiful marshall, not a line6 with 300 preloaded sounds. the only thing you would have to memorize would be different tonal settings coming off the front panel for different guitar/pup combinations obviously. but past that, once you have found your sound you really dont need to be fiddling with the amp. you just want to play.

6. effects: so far, it responds to various effects running in front and through the loop very well....

ok, that's it for tonight. sorry for the rambling, but i wanted to get some points out there after using it for the past few weeks.... hope any of this helps....

Latest posts