Thinking About Buying A Vintage Modern 2466

• Thread starter Cascadem
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadem

Reaction score
Any thoughts? Are 2266 amps as loud as my jcm2000 dsl 50 amp?

Last edited:

Cascadem

Reaction score
Also, what is the gain limit? Do they get as nasty as a 2204???

kustombob

Reaction score
IMHO VM have lower gain than any dsl' They have a great sound for classic rock' southern rock but would need a pedal in front for hair metal and beyond. I would like to have a VM but my 100W DSL H get's that sound on the crunch channel. So I see no need to spend the cash.

Cascadem

Reaction score
Right, but, how loud are the 2266 amps in comparison to the dsl 50 amps?

GIBSON67

Reaction score
My 2266 had original power tubes, but I was able to crank it to max in the LDR mode.
In HDR mode, it gets damn loud even matching my One Wire modded 1987.

I've never tried a DSL50 so I can't compare.

Joe2000

Reaction score
I've owned 2266, 2466 and DSL50...the VM's are a bit lower in volume but its not so much an issue of volume but head room. I feel the 2466 is the pick of the bunch as the 4x kt66's round out the preamp section nicer than the 2266 in my opinion. 2266 is a bit too compressed. Prefer LDR on 2266 with boost pedal. VM is my favourite Marshall...they did a great job with this one.

For what it's worth, sold all and bought Friedman dirty Shirley.

slide222

Reaction score
I brought one 3 months ago I got a very clean condition 2266 Head ,so I could try different 2x12s and it sounds amazing with a greenback mix H /M, and it also sounds amazing with a cannabis rex 2off 50 watts ,just a little softer , and both 2x12's come alive when pushed a bit

not only does the vm have a beautiful clean sound , it also has so much adjustment , and I love turning it up a bit , and get something to push it and it reacts so well

this amp is fast becoming a collectors player - it wouldn't work for metal , but it works for everything else , better for players with a soft dynamic style and love the warmth tube cleans give you

and my 2266 head still has the original tubes in it and it runs quiet and has beautiful tones . but I'm in no rush to change them , my head looks to have had a pampered life and works great to compliment my JTM60 2x12 mini stack , 4 off v30's- this is the amp I use for a sharper angry tone , both channel 1 and 2

Last edited:

Cascadem

Reaction score
I have 2 V30s I would be driving with it, but will probably buy 2 greenbacks aswell kist to have the gb tone or maybe 2 scumback med magnet 65 watters?

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying one too again. I play riding the volume control on the guitar quite a bit and I like the simplicity of the amp. Plus I like Marshalls with KT66 tubes. Gigging I find having more than vintage gain on tap a desirable and usable option. I just wish they were not so big and heavy. Too bad the 2266 doesn't fit into a JTM45 head box.

Cascadem

Reaction score
So, I pulled the trigger and bought a 2007 2266 VM. Has original tubes. Got it for $550 cash.

BowerR64

Reaction score
I dont find the VM good for a heavy distortion sound. Itcan do the gainy stuff but i think other amps are better at it.

Classic stuff on the other hand it smokes, i have other amps more suited for the modern gainy stuff

Buzzard

Reaction score
I have a black 2466 and love it,but it dosen't have the bite that my other marshall's have without using a booster. But I realize it's just the design of the amp ,it's a hot rodded jtm 45 ,so I appreciate it for what it is and don't try to make it sound like all my other el 34 marshall's. Most people prefer the 2466 to the 2266 but has anyone compared side to side ?Theyre wattage is conservatively rated so I thought it might be cool to try a 2266 and drive it harder.

Cascadem

Reaction score
Well, with the volume levels decreasing as to what we can gig at these days. I thoightmaybe the 2266 would fit the bill. I grew up believing in 100w marshalls but what that really equates to today is an amp that sounds awesome as the walls are coming down but withe the 2266 or 50 w stuff I believe it will lend me the ability to crank the amp up more to enjoy THAT sound while allowing others to not be completely offended by the volume of my amp.

shooto

Reaction score
Love mine...went through 4 of them...keeping the 5th...

Not much difference between 50w and 100w volume-wise...like 3db...

100 gives you more headroom and is beefier...and can be made 50w by pulling tubes

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Love mine...went through 4 of them...keeping the 5th...

Not much difference between 50w and 100w volume-wise...like 3db...

100 gives you more headroom and is beefier...and can be made 50w by pulling tubes

Wow, I thought I was bad. I think 3 is the most of any amp I've gone through. I had a 2466 back in 2008, but returned it because of the huge jump in volume between LDR and HDR and I hated the color purple. I've got a black 2466 that I planned on trying to even the two modes out on, but haven't had time.

Just curious, why did it take 5 amps for you to decide it was a keeper?

Derald

Reaction score
I have a 2007 VM 2266 as my main amp. Its 50w but in reality its more like 35w. The reason as I understand it is because a DSL-type is rated 50w "clean", before power tube breakup. Once you start pushing the power tubes, it will run at 75w or even more. Older Marshalls were rated the same way - before breakup. That is why a 1959 at 100w will blow up your 100w speaker if you run it at full volume.
The VM runs at 50w full volume. If you keep the volume in check, and don't break up the power tubes, its about 35w. Whether that is enough power compared to a DSL is up to you.
I run my VM at max volume with the Detail at 10 and body at 5. It has no problems with my 60w Celestion speaker and I don't worry about it blowing up or overheating.

I changed the V1 and V2 pre-amp tubes to lower gain versions (I forget exactly what tubes I used, I think they were 5751s). The LDR and HDR still has quite a jump in volume and gain, but I don't use it as a two channel amp. The original designer (SteveD I believe) stated here and on other forums that the amp was designed as a single channel "vintage" amp with two gain modes (LDR and HDR) so that you have your 'plexi' gain LDR and your JCM800 gain HDR. The point of the two gain knobs is to mimic the 'channel jumping' of older four-hole amps. The VM wasn't designed as a channel-switching amp. The point was to pick a dynamic range stick with it as you would if you had a plexi. If you wanted a JCM800 sound then you change the dynamic range. The theory was that most people didn't need to go from Plexi to JCM in a song, thus there was no consideration for gain and volume differences between the dynamic ranges.

I use the amp as a single channel vintage amp. The 'modern' part of the name comes from the effect loop and master volume. It wasn't designed as a vintage LDR and modern HDR contrary to most peoples opinions. This confusion, plus the two gain knobs, caused a lot of confusion and disappointment in the VM amp, and it didn't sell well.

I believe the VM is the best vintage amp you can get without having to buy an actual vintage amp or reissue. If you go into the VM as a single channel with two gain modes and use the two gain knobs as you would if you jumped channels, you can get amazing vintage tones from the amp. Its definitely a set-and-forget amp.

I run the amp wide open with max Detail and use my guitar to attenuate the gain. I get excellent clean and overdrive tones without any channel switching or boost pedals. I don't play high gain however, maybe AC/DC and Randy Rhodes types of gain.

slide222

Reaction score
seems a lot of love there chuck , including me too and you I thought
I have a JTM60 2x12 mini stack - 4 v30';s and that setup does my dirty aggressive sound with the 2266 head giving me the clean tube beauty , I have had it tru my 2x12 cannabis rex and my 2x12 greenback H/M mix and both respond very well to being pushed which surprized me somewhat , and that's gets me the loverly tube cleans with some bite that I do love

I have a 2x12 with g12 80's in (1981) that I have yet to try , but I know that will sound good as the g12 80's sound good whatever goes tru them

Last edited:

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
I believe the VM is the best vintage amp you can get without having to buy an actual vintage amp or reissue. If you go into the VM as a single channel with two gain modes and use the two gain knobs as you would if you jumped channels, you can get amazing vintage tones from the amp. Its definitely a set-and-forget amp.

So if you already have a JTM45 is the VM worth getting?

Latest posts