Thoughts on 4501?

• Thread starter Matthewthomas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
There’s a Marshall 4501 (JCM900 50w 1x12 Dual Reverb I believe it is)in my area for sale.

I’m wondering what people’s thoughts are about this combo.

My thought process for considering this is to get some variety in tone and I love Marshalls.

I’m a bit limited in my taste though. I don’t play a whole lot of clean tones, but I also don’t play high gain ever. My favourite band/tone is Free/Kossoff, but I like lots of classic bluesrock and rock tones, Bluesbreakers/Beano album to AC/DC, ZZ top, Aerosmith, black crows, etc etc.

I have a JMP 100w master volume 1x12 which is a dream come true and perfect for me, but I also have GAS and would be into some variety for fun, I also have a Friedman little sister and Fargen mini plex mk2, I use them all but the JMP kills obviously. Would the jcm900 be a useful addition? I like a rich Marshall tone that has some flexibility, not looking for anything scooped, fizzy, thin, harsh, etc, which I fear this may be, but I’ve never played a 900. Any thoughts/experiences appreciated, cheers!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
There’s a Marshall 4501 (JCM900 50w 1x12 Dual Reverb I believe it is)in my area for sale.

I’m wondering what people’s thoughts are about this combo.

My thought process for considering this is to get some variety in tone and I love Marshalls.

I’m a bit limited in my taste though. I don’t play a whole lot of clean tones, but I also don’t play high gain ever. My favourite band/tone is Free/Kossoff, but I like lots of classic bluesrock and rock tones, Bluesbreakers/Beano album to AC/DC, ZZ top, Aerosmith, black crows, etc etc.

I have a JMP 100w master volume 1x12 which is a dream come true and perfect for me, but I also have GAS and would be into some variety for fun, I also have a Friedman little sister and Fargen mini plex mk2, I use them all but the JMP kills obviously. Would the jcm900 be a useful addition? I like a rich Marshall tone that has some flexibility, not looking for anything scooped, fizzy, thin, harsh, etc, which I fear this may be, but I’ve never played a 900. Any thoughts/experiences appreciated, cheers!
As far as 900's go, I prefer the MKIII or SL-X. The DR's are full of OP-Amps, so are more solid-state than tube, at least in the preamp section. As far as solid-state preamp Marshall's go, I prefer the JMD:1, due to it's flexibility. Just my take.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Strictly speaking about the stuff that you like to play, its in there, but needs lots of work and lots of twiddling to get it right, and even then...The older models are straight plug'n'rock.

A 2204/1987 would hit it without any effort, or buy a Studio derivate, its good enough if your strictly after the tone and dont play in a loud band or look for old quality components.

For bestest results for your rockstyle putting the master to 10 and using the preamp knob as your volume will lead to succes, and monster earringing... and at the same volume, or even lower a 2204/1987 or JTM will fit your bill way more.

But no shame in buying and trying.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Yes, I think it’s pretty much confirmed what I had suspected, it’s probably not closely enough in line with what I’m after to make it worth it; I should probably stick to more classic options if I want different flavours, like a 1987x or try out the sv20 or the new jtm studio, or get a 2204 or something like that eventually… thanks everyone

Tatzmann

Reaction score
The decision to go straight for the nucleus of pure Marshall sound is a wise one and shows that you are destined for greatness.:p

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Kindoff missed that you already got a 1x12 combo JMP model.

If you want the 900DR experience just buy a Drive or Shredmaster and put it infront.This will even sound better than a standard 900DR i'm afraid, i know my Valvestate 8100 does at most things, and its very close to a Shred frontend.
They cut too much balls early on in the 900DR pre, then emphasized what was left.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Kindoff missed that you already got a 1x12 combo JMP model.

Yes! I lucked out and stumbled across a 2150 model, which I had never heard of; 2 jumpable channels (4 holes) and stock master volume, tonal heaven. I’m sure there’s better stuff out there that I haven’t had a chance to try but man I love my 2150! Still want to acquire different Marshall flavours too of course, as we Marshall madmen do…

Tatzmann

Reaction score
The 2150 fucking rips as any of the tried and true models. I'd wish to have one, but i'm mad too and wan't them all, well not all really, some turn me off way too much. Nothing can beat the sadomasochistic feeling one gets of plugging into something like a "blurred modelname to not summon the lower legions" after rocking a 1959/2203 or something in that vein.

Spooky88

Reaction score
Yeah, the JCM900 series is a bit of hit or miss. I have an el34 50 watt (1992 and older) and a 5881 100 watt combo and the el34 is a much better amp.