• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Thoughts on a tiny cheap practice amp...

• Thread starter Clifdawg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Clifdawg

Reaction score
I've been kicking around my Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2 for almost 5 years now as my vacation/grab-and-go amp. Great little travel buddy, no doubt. But I recently went to GC to get a new strap, some picks, strings, etc. just to stock up, and I plugged into a Fender Mustang LT25 1x8 combo, since I had heard good things about it, and since I've had one of the larger 150-watt 2x12 Fender Mustang combos in the past (fantastic digital amp, btw).

All I can say is... Wow! The LT25 really is a game changer for the sub-200-dollar practice amp market. I was immediately impressed by the clean tones, but after knocking off all the effects and scrolling through some amp models, I landed on the Super-Sonic's "Burn" channel model and holy cow, if that wasn't the best high-gain sound I've ever heard come from a 1x8. In fact, I found it super simple to dial in a couple of great sounds, and even some of the models I didn't care for way back in the "V2" Mustang I had seemed to sound a lot better here. It was crowded and I only got to noodle for about 10 minutes, but a guy looking at buying an amp for his son who was learning told me he was pretty much sold when I started playing. :D

I'm thinking about trading the Blackstar up for it... It's only 12 pounds, isn't much bulkier, sounds much louder, and has some great features, including a footswitch jack for swapping between two presets. Since I play guitar by myself at church and reluctantly lug my 55-lb Marshall DSL40C for an occasional Tele finger-picking song or two, it could be useful for making that a little easier for me, too.

Between the Blackstar and a Wampler Ethereal pedal (which I've fallen out of love with due to the fact that I think my Boss GT-1 does everything it does better... In stereo... With less noise...), I think a trade should cover it. Any thoughts or opinions (good or bad) on these?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've been kicking around my Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2 for almost 5 years now as my vacation/grab-and-go amp. Great little travel buddy, no doubt. But I recently went to GC to get a new strap, some picks, strings, etc. just to stock up, and I plugged into a Fender Mustang LT25 1x8 combo, since I had heard good things about it, and since I've had one of the larger 150-watt 2x12 Fender Mustang combos in the past (fantastic digital amp, btw).

All I can say is... Wow! The LT25 really is a game changer for the sub-200-dollar practice amp market. I was immediately impressed by the clean tones, but after knocking off all the effects and scrolling through some amp models, I landed on the Super-Sonic's "Burn" channel model and holy cow, if that wasn't the best high-gain sound I've ever heard come from a 1x8. In fact, I found it super simple to dial in a couple of great sounds, and even some of the models I didn't care for way back in the "V2" Mustang I had seemed to sound a lot better here. It was crowded and I only got to noodle for about 10 minutes, but a guy looking at buying an amp for his son who was learning told me he was pretty much sold when I started playing. :D

I'm thinking about trading the Blackstar up for it... It's only 12 pounds, isn't much bulkier, sounds much louder, and has some great features, including a footswitch jack for swapping between two presets. Since I play guitar by myself at church and reluctantly lug my 55-lb Marshall DSL40C for an occasional Tele finger-picking song or two, it could be useful for making that a little easier for me, too.

Between the Blackstar and a Wampler Ethereal pedal (which I've fallen out of love with due to the fact that I think my Boss GT-1 does everything it does better... In stereo... With less noise...), I think a trade should cover it. Any thoughts or opinions (good or bad) on these?
You tried it you liked it buy it! :yesway:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
If it were battery powered as well it would be perfect. If that's not a deal breaker get it!

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
I really like the Katana 50 my family got me last year. I took it on vacation with me and it sounded amazing at whisper volume. It may be worth a look if something falls through with the Mustang. The Peavey Vypyr is also a cool little amp. I can't believe how great these cheap amps sound these days. I wish we had the Katana when I was learning to play. Great time to be a guitar player for sure.

scott6762

Reaction score
The Roland cube is my answer. Great sounding little amp with very good effects too. :cheers:

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
A couple of my personal favorites are:

1. Yamaha THR10X
2. Vox Mini 5

The Yamaha has a great "stereo" effect which makes the little amp sound glorious.

The Vox not only sounds great, but the built in rhythm is an unexpected plus. I underestimated the usefulness of a built in drummer. It really improves my playing.

C-Grin

Reaction score
The BE for the win,

But for a "cheap" on the go practice amp I would take the Mustang over the ID core 10 all day, but for even cheaper and super easy to use I would grab the Fender Champion 20.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
The BE for the win,

But for a "cheap" on the go practice amp I would take the Mustang over the ID core 10 all day, but for even cheaper and super easy to use I would grab the Fender Champion 20.

did you see my "ask her if size matters" thread?

Clifdawg

Reaction score

Dude, if they made like a little compact, lightweight 1x10 BE mini, I’d be all over it. As a miniature head, I feel like it’s more of a fun novelty if you have a cab.

I dig the Mustang because it’s small, versatile, and lightweight. Very thoughtfully designed. Not every sound is a winner, but there are more winners than losers. My favorite models so far are the Fender Princeton, the Fender Supersonic, the Hiwatt DR100, and the EVH 5150 III models. I found the higher gain stuff to be harder to dial in (everything is mid-scooped by default; an “overdrive” is a must), but once you get the details worked out, the sound is truly fantastic for a little 1x8 combo.

Crikey

Reaction score
Varies on practice volume but i picked up a 50 watt boss katana
Decent amp

C-4

Reaction score
I tried a Vox VTX20 and found it has a lot of versatility and volume is no problem.

Latest posts