Time for a new Marshall...Suggestions

• Thread starter Cardiac Tom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cardiac Tom

Reaction score
Still have not gotten a new head yet...

I have been out on the road for work pretty much since I decided to pick one up...I'm in the communications field and the FCC Mandate regarding narrowbanding for radio users kicks in at the end of the year...so, I am extremely busy...

The good thing is, I am getting tons of overtime, so picking up the new head will not put that big of a dent in my finances :naughty:

I would assume with the new bride that cash is tight. I think your initial thought of the new DSL100 is a good one. Loads of gain and simple to set up and go. The new DSL100H WILL do metal. (6:14)

You will have two channels if you want to switch. At $899 it is a steal. Buy it from a local retailer who will accept returns, this way if your don't like it after a few days you can return it. I don't think that will be the case.

It is not that bad...I have discussed it with her and we compromised...

When I brought up the three heads I am considering, (DSL100, JVM205, and JVM 410) I showed her all the vids and talked price...She said no on the 410 (lol) and was fine with the other two...she knows the band is a big part of my life and she is involved as well (a cute chick at a merch table at a show will move more product...ha ha!) so she doesn't have a problem with it...

shades of blue

Reaction score
I have thoroughly enjoyed my DSL100H. I got caught up in the UK vs Vietnam debate and almost didn't buy it, but I'm glad I did, and for $750 new, I couldn't possibly resist.

Cleans are nice, Classic Crunch is straight up bluesy and sweet, and the Ultra gain is capable of AC/DC to full on Metal. Definitely the most versatile amp I've ever played. If money was no object, I'd own either a JTM45 or 1987x, but this can deliver those tones for well under $1k.

Here is a sound clip. This is the Ultra Gain channel with the gain at noon and the guitars volume rolled back to about 6-7. NO EFFECTS!!!

MP3 Player SoundClick

8CCD83F6-B300-4CC6-8598-E0C409FA5888-1242-00000084EBFA49C2-1.jpg

Cardiac Tom

Reaction score
Sounds good! Thanks for that...

As I was saying before, a buddy of mine works at GC and has one is stock (or at least he did a few weeks ago) and would give me a good deal...Just have not had the time to get up there...

shades of blue

Reaction score
Sounds good! Thanks for that...

As I was saying before, a buddy of mine works at GC and has one is stock (or at least he did a few weeks ago) and would give me a good deal...Just have not had the time to get up there...

I put some JJ's in it to tame the brightness, and I also have a new set of Creambacks sitting until the Christmas tree. The amp is bright, but if you don't mind running the treble really low it can deliver such a sweet tone.

I used to A/B between a Two Rock Studio Pro and a Dr Z Carmen Ghia, but this new DSL has really made me happier than either of those amps did.

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
Something with thinking about for low tuned death metal sounds is the Zakk Wylde approach. That dude has some really low tunings like A and stuff on some of the BLS albums. He uses old jcm800 2203 amps with either a zw44 or a boss sd1 pedal and Les pauls with appropriate gauge strings on them. I have a 2203 and many Les pauls too. I will state my opinion that there is something wicked crushing about the 2203 used for that stuff that no boogie or even new marshalls can match. There is just something brutal about those six knob plexi style amps that just destroy and do it with tone! They are a must have for anyone who wants to beat some ass with their guitar.

Latest posts