Time for a new Marshall...Suggestions

• Thread starter Cardiac Tom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cardiac Tom

Reaction score
Hi all,

Back from sabbatical...been really busy so my internet time is way down...

Anyway, the last few weeks have been extremely busy for me...lots of band stuff going on, work has been crazy, wedding plans, and so on...Needless to say I am kind of bummed out, physically and mentally exhausted, or just going through a mid life crisis...

I think that is the justification I need for a new Marshall head...:)

I have been using my JCM900 4100 head since I bought it back in 92 or so...I will keep it as a back up since I have always been relatively happy with it...

I am a fairly simple player...Gibson Explorer plugged straight in. I play death metal, so I don't need crazy effects...just gain and power...but I play a lot and gig frequently...

Been looking into the new DSL 100H...doing a search, I see a few of you have one and are happy with them? I have a buddy that works at GC and would hook me up with a good price...

I guess I am just looking for some opinions. The JVM looks awesome, but the price, not so much...I like the versatility, but I don't think I would need what it offers...

Any suggestions would be helpful. I may drop the hammer on this as soon as tomorrow...My buddy does have one in stock, so I will try it out prior to my decision...Cheers and thanks in advance.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Marshall JVM210. Has all you'll need as a death metal guitarist since you don't ened all the 410 offers.

Otherwise, used Marshall 6100LM or 2203KK.

Cardiac Tom

Reaction score
Marshall JVM210. Has all you'll need as a death metal guitarist since you don't ened all the 410 offers.

Otherwise, used Marshall 6100LM or 2203KK.

I want to go new at this point...I look for used stuff here and there though and if I come across something, hopefully will have the funds...

I haven't even considered the 210...just looked it up and that seems like the ticket...Thanks...

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Go Retro. If you like the. 900's then you will LOVE the Jubilee's or JCM 800 2205/2210 circuits. You might want to back earlier to the Master Volume cascaded gain 2204/2203 or Non-Master Volume, Non-Cascaded gain of the plexi type circuit in a 1959/1987.

New amps are cool too. I just have a ear for the loder stuff. Kind of like having an old corvette too, I can work on it lol.

David :cheers:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Someone here did some demos of the 410H's OD2 channel (which is the 210's OD channel) doing some death metal. Can't find it, though.

EDIT: Heres a couple using the OD2

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkWS3GvPQgg&feature=plcp[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pavaiB4dlU[/ame]

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Get a 2203x, doesnt get any simpler. If you dont like pedals then get a gain mod on it.

Although I am very interested in the DSL100H, but have yet to try one.

Cardiac Tom

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far...very helpful.

The 210 seems to be the way to go...Still going to try that new DSL, but I'm digging the extra versatility as a future option as I dabble in other types of rock and metal...Should go with the 410, but to be honest, I don't really want to blow that much coin right now...

And I am a different death metal player...we tune to A# and my other guitarist has a mesa triple rec, who plays more on the low end side of things...throw my bass player in the mix, and it is just way low...so I play on the mid/high side...compliments the sound nicely...In other words, I go for that classic metal sound as opposed to the mudslinger chunk sound that people associate with death metal...

Far Rider

Hendrixian
VIP Member
Reaction score
As an owner of the DSL 100H, I can heartily recommend it. Great amp. Great price.

Cardiac Tom

Reaction score
Long time, no hear Cardiac!

Cheers! I know...I finally started working again last year and I am so busy, the last thing I want to do is sit on a computer in the evening...I do need to come here more, something I will work on!

why not a boogie?

Not really a fan...I think they are over priced and over rated. And, in death metal, a lot of people have them. Sounds same-same. Quite a few people I know have problems with them. I know I have had to walk my guitarist through several of his issues over the years. I have used them several times on fests or on tour, and don't have any complaints, I have always just been a Marshall fan.

As an owner of the DSL 100H, I can heartily recommend it. Great amp. Great price.

Not that I am jumping the gun, but knowing my friend has one in stock and will give me a good price is really weighing on my decision right now. I got a decent job, so I can always save some money and get a JVM down the road...and I am always keeping my eye out for used stuff. Just right now, I want something new, and to be honest, I want it right now...lol

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Well, if you ever snapped and decide to go Boogie again, try a Mark series. I always thought of those as Mesa for Marshall fans.

Username2

Reaction score
I would assume with the new bride that cash is tight. I think your initial thought of the new DSL100 is a good one. Loads of gain and simple to set up and go. The new DSL100H WILL do metal. (6:14)

You will have two channels if you want to switch. At $899 it is a steal. Buy it from a local retailer who will accept returns, this way if your don't like it after a few days you can return it. I don't think that will be the case.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TTq2w4-JeA"]DSL100H Product Demo - YouTube[/ame]

V-man

Reaction score
There are many good choices.

The top "straight in" amps that are still obtainable new are the JVM and the 2203KK.

As simple as your approach is, much of the JVM would be lost on you, so a 210 may be the better selection for JVMs. I will tell you this though... the 2203KK is the motherfucker. Imagine a plug and play amp that has its own boost and noise gate (one of the best made), so you have everything you need for the style and the sound is ridiculous.

Rahlstin

Reaction score
Ive been running a JVM410H for a year now with a 1960A loaded with 25w G12m's in a working band and it will do everything plus anything else. Amazing amp.

dreyn77

Reaction score
you do realise this DSL is made in Vietnam?
the cosmetics are cheap!
Your mate wants to give your money to the Vietnamese so they can Bail out their fishermen from the chinese jails. china is claiming Viet waters are china's Now, and are going round arresting fishermen.
Don't help the next world war!
get yourself a nice 1959SLP and a boost pedal and you won't look back.