• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

To restore or not to restore ?

• Thread starter Richman1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Richman1

Reaction score
My 1972 head box is all beat up and ripped and torn to hell and back....I've heard that some people like them that way... I was considering new tolex and restoration or buying a replica head box...It's like a worn out pair of jeans. It kind of looks cool....Can't make up my mind on this matter....All my other heads and cabs are mint condition. any advice ?:cheers:

AtomicRob

Reaction score
If you want a fresh looking head box, just buy a repro box and leave your old box as is. Otherwise a re-tolex will only lower the value of a vintage amp.

A beat up looking amp does have more mojo. Just think of the almost 40 years of stuff that has built up on that amp, you can't just peel off all that history...

chuckharmonjr

In Memorandum
Reaction score
About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
Rockbert is absolutely right. There's a guy in florida that sells exact repro boxes complete with everything but the Marshall logo (and he pre-drills the holes for it) for around 250 on Ebay. 250 for a perfect box, 20 bucks for a logo, 10 minutes working 4 phillips head screws...you got your old box with character and battle scars, and ya amp looks showroom new. Sweet deal I'd say.

Richman1

Reaction score
If you want a fresh looking head box, just buy a repro box and leave your old box as is. Otherwise a re-tolex will only lower the value of a vintage amp.

A beat up looking amp does have more mojo. Just think of the almost 40 years of stuff that has built up on that amp, you can't just peel off all that history...
The more I play that amp, the more that look goes with the magical tone that amp produces. It sounds amazing. I may look for an old basket weave cab to go with it.

Lanhamkevin

Reaction score
I agree that you should leave it alone. Kinda like the first qustion that most people ask, can you tell me about the amp. To me its more than "is it original" but tell me about those scars. Kinda builds the character.

If you do decide to refinish, keep the old stuff if you can get it off in a few pieces (good luck).

ptrickamp222

Reaction score
I do not know how tore up your tolex is but on my 50 watt 72' Metal Panel was used also. The trick is to use wood glue and blue painter's tape. I glued down the torn tolex, used a tooth pick to use just the right amount as not to have to clean up much. Then put the blue painter's tape on it for at least 24 hrs at room temp. Then remove the tape, it pulls off super easy. My 72 looks from a few feet away looks great now. You have to walk up and really look to see all the old tears. I now do not even notice the once torn tolex. Also does not lose value on a retolex. Or like you said if it's really bad there are alot of bad cabs out there that would love to sit under it!!!:naughty:

Adwex

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd go with a replacement box and keep the old one intact....or just use it as is.

That amp has history, are you the original owner?

Got a pic?

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
if you want a fresh looking head box, just buy a repro box and leave your old box as is. Otherwise a re-tolex will only lower the value of a vintage amp.

+1000

janarn

Reaction score
To restore or not to restore?

107904_s.jpg

Fullversjon: Viser bilde - sportsfiske.nu

107905_s.jpg

107906_s.jpg

107907_s.jpg

NO

Bunnest

Reaction score
that looks like a '67 reverse log JTM to me...a real nice piece...DON'T CHANGE A THING...

Bunnest

Reaction score
oH JANARN, shoulda figured...another one of your monsters....

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I'd wipe down the case with Armor All and call it day. I like beat up, but it's gotta be clean:)

kanders1

Reaction score
Why, that's merely a flesh wound!

The only thing I know about antiques is that you never, EVER refinish them.

johnfv

Reaction score
There is a long story on my '68 Plexi Tremolo 100. The original owner had it recovered in the 80s with what was available at the time: black tolex, big logos, black grill. I've had the amp for 25 years and decided to return it to a more vintage style. I got a new cab for it... Purple!

If it had been original I would have left it alone but I simply bought a new cab, the old one is still intact.

Plexi1.jpg

PurpleMarshall.jpg

Bob at Sourmash did a great job! All I did was add the logo of my choice - http://www.sourmashguitarcabs.com/

Latest posts