To Sell Or Not? Peavey 6505+ Head

• Thread starter Charvel1975
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Charvel1975

Reaction score
Hello everyone ::wave:: So my main live amp has been my EVH 5150 III 50 Watt 6L6 head v2 with the Marshall 1960 cab and simple pedalboard, still have my Mesa Tremoverb head, Marshall Artist 3203 head and matching 4x10 cab, Marshall Code 50 1x12 modeling amp and the Peavey 6505+ head and the Peavey I was using at rehearsals with my other guitarist's Bugera closed back 2x12 cab with Celestion G12K100 and Vintage 30 speakers to his Behringer powered pedalboard with Behringer delay pedal, tc electronic corona chorus, modtone clean boost pedal, behringer tube screamer and my Line 6 relay g30 wireless.

We play classic rock/hard rock/hair metal up through some 90's/early 2000's covers and for some reason I'm just not gelling with the Peavey 6505+, I originally used it some years ago for the modern drop B metal band I was in and figured I'd give it a chance with the stuff I'm playing now in a 2 guitar covers band. I haven't played on my Mesa Tremoverb in a long while and am kinda jonesing to get to playing it again

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
It's always a flip of the coin where you don't know whether it was a mistake/good idea until after the fact. Sometimes you flip a piece of gear and want it back 5 minutes later, and sometimes you feel a sense of relief. The only way to know is to let it go. Though, if on the fence, I'd give it some time and see if your mind changes. I was on the fence about a piece of gear for a while ... when I finally dumped it, it felt like a huge relief. Sometimes it works out for the best, and sometimes not (I still miss a couple of guitars I never should have let go).

RLW59

Reaction score
So you used the Peavey for a few years in a band, then didn't use it much for a while and now that you're coming back to it, it doesn't do it for you the way you remember?

How are the tubes? They don't wear or degrade while they're sitting unused of course. But "the frog in a pot of water on the stove", maybe when you played it regularly the decline of the power tubes didn't stick out to your ears because it happened so gradually. And now that you're listening to it with fresh ears you're hearing how tired the tubes are?

If you replaced the tubes a few times back when you were using it, that's probably not it. Your tastes and needs have changed and you've moved on.

But if they're an older well-used set, maybe pull the 6L6's from your Tremoverb and give them a spin in the 6505+ and see if they bring back what you liked about it.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
So you used the Peavey for a few years in a band, then didn't use it much for a while and now that you're coming back to it, it doesn't do it for you the way you remember?

How are the tubes? They don't wear or degrade while they're sitting unused of course. But "the frog in a pot of water on the stove", maybe when you played it regularly the decline of the power tubes didn't stick out to your ears because it happened so gradually. And now that you're listening to it with fresh ears you're hearing how tired the tubes are?

If you replaced the tubes a few times back when you were using it, that's probably not it. Your tastes and needs have changed and you've moved on.

But if they're an older well-used set, maybe pull the 6L6's from your Tremoverb and give them a spin in the 6505+ and see if they bring back what you liked about it.
^^^Good advice^^^

Give it a go and if it still isn't doing it for you let it go and put the funds to something else cool.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hello everyone ::wave:: So my main live amp has been my EVH 5150 III 50 Watt 6L6 head v2 with the Marshall 1960 cab and simple pedalboard, still have my Mesa Tremoverb head, Marshall Artist 3203 head and matching 4x10 cab, Marshall Code 50 1x12 modeling amp and the Peavey 6505+ head and the Peavey I was using at rehearsals with my other guitarist's Bugera closed back 2x12 cab with Celestion G12K100 and Vintage 30 speakers to his Behringer powered pedalboard with Behringer delay pedal, tc electronic corona chorus, modtone clean boost pedal, behringer tube screamer and my Line 6 relay g30 wireless.

We play classic rock/hard rock/hair metal up through some 90's/early 2000's covers and for some reason I'm just not gelling with the Peavey 6505+, I originally used it some years ago for the modern drop B metal band I was in and figured I'd give it a chance with the stuff I'm playing now in a 2 guitar covers band. I haven't played on my Mesa Tremoverb in a long while and am kinda jonesing to get to playing it again
Plug the Peavey into your 1960 cab and tell us what you think, I think the tone will sound more familiar to you. When you havent played an amp or a cab for a long time your ears have to get used to it again, play it every day for a week or so and it will all come back to you as your ears get used to it and you will remember what you liked about this amp in the first place.

Last edited:

Latest posts