Tone Tubby Speakers For Marshall 4x12?

• Thread starter PHUSION974
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PHUSION974

Reaction score
I'm running a Marshall 1959 Plexi reissue with a Marshall 4x12 W/ G12t-75's.
I've been real interested in Tone Tubby speakers, mainly the 40/40 or Alnico Red.

Any of you guys have experience with Tone Tubby?
I'm open to speaker suggestions and other brands as well.

Thank you

jack daniels

Reaction score
I have a X pattern of TT 10" hemp cones w/2 ceramic (green) and 2/alnico (red) in my real deal 66' Fender BFSR amp and a 12" TT hemp cone alnico (red) in my real deal 66' Fender BFDR amp. I can't recommend them highly enough. SVVA (South Valley Vintage Amps) www.svvintageamps.com/ carries TT's and currently has a sale on the TT 12" hemp cone ceramic (green) for $129/speaker. A quad of the 12" TT hemp cone ceramic (green) would be great in a closed back 4x12" cab. Also another TT dealer who is having a TT sale is www.siegmundguitars.com/. Apparently 'Los Lonely Boys' now load all of their cabs with TT hemp cones. Tone Tubby now has more lines of speakers to choose from https://tonetubby.com/

Last edited:

PHUSION974

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Jack Daniels!
You think that would be a good match for my setup? 2 40/40s and 2 Alnico reds?

jack daniels

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Jack Daniels!
You think that would be a good match for my setup? 2 40/40s and 2 Alnico reds?

It certainly covers all the bases from blues to classic rock to power crunch. The ceramics give you the tight crisp bottom end and the alnico's give you the smooth creamy high end and the combination of both offers the perfect amount and range of mids. With the present sales that SVVA and Siegmund's guitars are having on TT speakers you need to strike while the iron is still hot before the sales go off.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Also if you prefer something more along the lines of a Celestion G12M (25W) and G12H (30W) type of mix, then (2) 30W/per TT Chicago Blue alnico and (2) 25W/per TT San Rafael ceramic 12"s would be complementary as well. The price for this combo of hemp cone speakers would save you even more.

mtm105

Reaction score
I have Hempbomb.

One red 50w alnico hempcone speaker, and one Green 40w Ceramic hempcone speaker 2x12 Semi-Open back Cabinet.

The only issue I see is that it's manufactured is with 1/2 open back.

Clapton does all Alnicos (two 212s). Rather expensive. With that said Alnicos may be for Combos or open backs.

I do not know which tone is better. Alnico is sorta quiet with DELICIOUS tone. while ceramic is LOUD & PROUD.

I suggest contact manufacturer via .com or Facebook.

4X12 with Cermaic can't go wrong. Like Vin30's after 3 day crack binge.

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-16_9-44-32.jpeg
    upload_2016-6-16_9-44-32.jpeg
    5.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

PHUSION974

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back guys.
Really appreciate it.
Looks like im gonna give svvintage amps a call and see what they have in stock.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Your most welcome. You'll love hemp cone speakers. Many at first thought it was all hype until they tried them, now there's a large roster of professionals who use them (just look at the artist endorsements).

mtm105

Reaction score
the hemp hype, I believe, started after Ken Fisher of TRAINWRECK fame studied vintage speakers. He said that the fiber on the paper in the vintage models are longer than more modern production material.

Hemp replicates long fiber similar or identical to vintage paper.

TT's 40/40 ceramic ROCKS. Not sure which speaker Metallica uses.

If I were to go with a 1X12, it would definitely be Alnico

Last edited:

jack daniels

Reaction score
Sigmund's Guitars also offer a 3 day break-in period ($20 charge)
the hemp hype, I believe, started after Ken Fisher of TRAINWRECK fame studied vintage speakers. He said that the fiber on the paper in the vintage models are longer than more modern production material.

Hemp replicates long fiber similar or identical to vintage paper.

TT's 40/40 ceramic ROCKS. Not sure which speaker Metallica uses.

If I were to go with a 1X12, it would definitely be Alnico

You're unconsciously regurgitating what i've said in other posts which is Ken Fischer was asked by Celestion to analyze the old Blue Dog speakers to see why they were and still are in such demand before Celestion reissued their first reproduction of said speakers. The only thing that Ken could determine was the longer wood fibres found in the paper cones from (old growth wood) much like the vintage guitars of the early eras. Modern speaker cone production and modern guitar production comes from trees with 'new growth' wood with much shorter wood fibres. It just so happens that hemp (at least as far as speaker cones go) have longer fibers like those of the old(er) vintage era paper speaker cones which most likely has something to do with why hemp cones sound so good.