Traded my Strat deluxe....(NSGD)

• Thread starter duncan11
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

duncan11

Reaction score
For one of these-

uzb06d2.jpg

jvGBmBi.jpg

It's the Eric Johnson artist model. Got a great price too. Was either that or a Clapton strat, but they were the lower ended ones of the Clapton line (non CS one). The Johnson one, for not being made by the Custom Shop, I was pretty impressed. Pickups sound great, rivaling some vintage ones I've played on. Note the no rear cover, it doesn't even have the holes drilled for it...

QPgT4Po.jpg

Sounds 1000x better than my 06 strat Deluxe which this replaced. Real thin nitro coating too, with some playwear it should break in nicely. And it takes the YJM extremely well. AFD is so-so, but only because it's extra noisy with the hiss compounded by the single coils due to my gain setting.

I couldn't demo it thru a marshall at the store cuz the dealer didn't have a single marshall in the store, not even used. Lots of Fender amps everywhere, I used a 65 deluxe reverb reissue for a bit, but could not crank it to get some little bit of distortion or else I would have been way too loud. Had to endure a fender with a modeling feature (think it was the mustang II or one of the like)

I've played one before in the summer, it was used and red. I like the neck on these, the 12" radius but I am ok with the 7.5" radius an old 58 has. The back shape and shoulders feel like a 58 neck to me but the specs say it's 57 v near the nut (yeah i agree with that) and then it transitions. Very comfortable I must say. Figured this will tide me over till next year when I go for a real 58. :D With the Ed King bust (some forthcoming CC model) the only other LP I'm out for, I'm NGDD for a while (new guitar day done). I can say I got all the LP's I wanted and was out for, I was just lacking a 'good' strat, now that's been filled!

It'll be the weekend before I have a chance to record it, but I was impressed. I know the YJM likes strats as well as LP's but I did find that I cannot use the same settings that I use for my LP's vs. a strat. Had to adjust the mid and treble knobs but can keep the rest the same for the most part. That's a good thing cuz I hate having to reinvent the wheel on my amps when just switching guitars.

poeman33

Reaction score
Congrats. They are nice guitars, but I just don't like that 12" radius, so I have never been interested. It looks gorgeous, that's for sure.

duncan11

Reaction score
Congrats. They are nice guitars, but I just don't like that 12" radius, so I have never been interested. It looks gorgeous, that's for sure.

Thanks. My old strat deluxe was 9.5" radius, and seeing how I play LP's a lot I'm used to the 12" radius. But, what's weird is, I had no issues playing the vintage 7.25" radius! Yeah I noticed the sunburst finish right off the bat, I thought it was a vintage reissue at first.

managainstcatfish

Reaction score
Eric apparently can hear a difference with the backplate removed. I read that somewhere & then took mine off just to see. Honestly, I don't remember what the result was to my ears. If you play like he does, you can do whatever the hell you think is needed. That guy is SO good. Love maple necks on a Strat.

duncan11

Reaction score
Eric apparently can hear a difference with the backplate removed. I read that somewhere & then took mine off just to see. Honestly, I don't remember what the result was to my ears. If you play like he does, you can do whatever the hell you think is needed. That guy is SO good. Love maple necks on a Strat.

I heard the pickups went round and round with him and Fender as well. Fender thought he was screwing with them and sent him back a previous set he declined but labeled as 'new and improved'. It didn't work, he said don't send me stuff I already said no on, or something to that fact. yeah, he can hear it. Yes he admits the battery thing is a bit overblown but when it comes to pickups and wood I think he'd probably be very attuned to the aural differences.

Odin69

Reaction score
Nice strat. I always liked the EJ model. If I get another strat, it will be the EJ model or American deluxe with a v-neck and compound radius?

duncan11

Reaction score
recorded this with an iPhone and my thru YJM.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMkUIfuibfc"]Eric Johnson Artist Model Stratocaster - YouTube[/ame]

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
dude, I am lovin the tone !
I got to have a strat ! congrats !

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
Eric apparently can hear a difference with the backplate removed

the only thing i can hear back there is the springs vibrating. i always stuffed a pc of foam or a sock in the back cavity on strats.

stax

VIP Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the EJ Strat, it is probably the best production guitar Fender makes and is near CS quality. It's a better 57 than the 57 reissue!

poeman33

Reaction score
the only thing i can hear back there is the springs vibrating. i always stuffed a pc of foam or a sock in the back cavity on strats.

AAAHHHHH!!!

Those springs are the sound of a Strat! That's why Eric Clapton doesn't play a hardtail. Those noise of those springs vibrating are part of the magic.

dreyn77

Reaction score
Great buy!
Your amp settings should be the same! for both single coil and humbucker guitars....
the reason for the different tone is pickup polepiece height. your strat has perfect tone, the humbucker does not.