Treble bleed circuit for PRS SE

• Thread starter tmingle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tmingle

Reaction score
I have a PRS SE 245 that, although a great playing guitar, gets muddy really quick when rolling down the volume. Does anyone have any suggestions for treble bleed values?

JohnH

Reaction score
I did some study on these, to see what works best. If the idea is to maintain a consistent tone as you roll down, a resistor in parallel with a cap is best. Resistor is 150k for a 500k pot and 120k on a 250k pot. The best cap value may depend on what level you need. If the ideal reduced volume is on the range 5 to 10 =max, then a 1000pF cap is great. Or try 680pF or 820pF if you usually go lower.

All of these slow down the taper a bit, making an audio volume pot a big more linear.

tmingle

Reaction score
I did some study on these, to see what works best. If the idea is to maintain a consistent tone as you roll down, a resistor in parallel with a cap is best. Resistor is 150k for a 500k pot and 120k on a 250k pot. The best cap value may depend on what level you need. If the ideal reduced volume is on the range 5 to 10 =max, then a 1000pF cap is great. Or try 680pF or 820pF if you usually go lower.

All of these slow down the taper a bit, making an audio volume pot a big more linear.
Thanks John. I believe I found 1 of your write ups on this subject on another forum as well.
It doesn't already have a treble bleed kit?
After fiddling with a bunch of different values it seems to me a 500pf cap is as good as anything.

https://drkevguitar.com/2016/11/24/treble-bleed-mod-roundup/
Thanks

BakedBeans

Reaction score
It doesn't already have a treble bleed kit?
After fiddling with a bunch of different values it seems to me a 500pf cap is as good as anything.

https://drkevguitar.com/2016/11/24/treble-bleed-mod-roundup/
The info in this link is fantastic and thoroughly explores the many possibilities with no hype or myths. If you happen to have capacitor and resistance "decade" boxes, you can use wires with alligator clips to test endless cap/resistor values without having to solder/unsolder a bunch of times to find out what works best for you personally. PS: use care when soldering pots. Always turn the pot wiper to zero when soldering and use only enough heat to make a good connection.

tmingle

Reaction score
I'm going to try the 50's wiring 1st. I wired my other guitars this way & it really helped. The wiring in this guitar was not stock & was a mess!