• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

TSL 122 upgrade/repair

• Thread starter Drewser141
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drewser141

Reaction score
Aloha,

New poster, longtime marshall lover. I recently blew the PT in my TSL122. I ordered a new one from Paul at Mercury. I thought that as long as I'm in there I should drop in a new OT and choke (also from MM). My question is this: what else should I do while I'm in there. I was very happy with the sound of the amp before it blew so I'm not looking to soup it up anymore than the OT/PT/choke will already do. I just want to head off any potential problems before they happen.

Mahalo for all replies.

Drew
76 Strat
06 Les Paul Supreme
Broken TSL122

trigmachine

Reaction score
if its pre 2006 you may want to replace one of the boards (i cant remember which one) apparently they're notorious for for going tits up. Mine is getting done just now it has something to do with plate voltage and massive bias drift. Im also getting the fx loop converted from paralell to series

plexifier

Reaction score
Don't bother with a new OT if you're happy with the current sound. I wouldn't recommend MM for an OT anyway.

Drewser141

Reaction score
Not in the UK so the repair yourself option looks attractive. Lots of great info! Mahalos to all. One more question, How can I tell what build my board is? Ser# 2004-05-2953B

Drewser141

Reaction score
I might have figured it out, could it be version 10 (set of numbers on the top)? and if so how much of this mod is already done? It looks like it has the new type resistors & R66 & R70 are 5k6 already. Maybe this will help the next guy too.

Lederstrumpf

Reaction score
I might have figured it out, could it be version 10 (set of numbers on the top)? and if so how much of this mod is already done? It looks like it has the new type resistors & R66 & R70 are 5k6 already. Maybe this will help the next guy too.

As far as I know, it was only the batch of version5 mainboards that were made of the wrong material, so your version10 mainboard should not have this issue.
I cannot confirm this, however.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Most important fix for that amp would be the Ground/negative buss on the speaker out jacks.

Do a search for it here at the Forum. Or someone else here might hopefully chime in with the link.

And as for the expensive Mercury output transformer, if you like the tone with the stock Dagnall OT, you might not think that Mercury is worth the $$. At least that is what I have read about quite a few people's experiences on the web.

Good Luck, and Welcome to the Forum!

:wave:

Drewser141

Reaction score
Thanks Rickylee, I saw that one first. I wasn't going to do the OT but got a good deal on the package of PT/OT/Choke and since I'm into overkill...

I'm just thinking about the heat problem that seems to be inherent in the design of packin everything into the TSL122 box. When the PT fried, the front panel was too hot to touch-- it never got this hot before. So, how about adding a fan to suck out the heat? To add to my concern I saw a picture of a badly fried ver. 10 board when the R6 cooked (Laurence Wilkens). Too much heat, bad resistor?? Dunno but I'm tryin to avoid that too. So, to fan or not to fan...

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't that mod for the DSL's?

Yes. It applies to the DSL100/50 amp as well as it has the same rear PCB speaker out circuit.

I have not looked at other models of DSL or TSL, but it might apply to some of those as well.

Lucifuge

Reaction score
Oh, OK... Guess I should check if my TSL has it as well.... I have read about it, but I figured it was just the DSL's that needed that mod....

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
my buds tsl60 head has an arrangement like the dsl401.

its contigent on your connection to chassis ground via plastic connectors and nuts. its a cheap out from marshall.

hardline the speaker outs to ground. its just the smart thing to do while your in there.