• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

TSL 60/602 presence problem

JT12345

Reaction score
I have always felt that my 602 is a very dark sounding amp. Got rid of stock wolverines (obvious). Tried many speakers and amps since then, In my case 602 presence knob must be somewhere 8 and 10 to provide that high freq sizzle for tight thrash riffs. All amps i tried (tube and SS) sound normal with presence at noon, moving it close to max is too much (that's how it should be IMO) .

1. Got new power tubes, biased properly. Nothing changed
2. Should I try new preamp tubes? ( stock ones since 2003)
3. My TSL might be broken ?
4. Maybe it is ok and tsl60 should be like this ?

(Sorry for possible english mistakes, eastern european guy here :) )

Last edited:

South Park

Reaction score
You will have to change out the presence cap you blocking to many high frequency’s . If you are looking for a high frequency sizzle try out a amp with el84 power tubes . You can go with a smaller cap . Greetings

JT12345

Reaction score
You will have to change out the presence cap you blocking to many high frequency’s . If you are looking for a high frequency sizzle try out a amp with el84 power tubes . You can go with a smaller cap . Greetings

Have you ever played tsl 60/602 are they generally muffled like this ?

George Dickens

Reaction score
Since 2003? You can try a >new< preamp tube or two, If you been playing it hard and heavy for so long the speaker may just be worn out.
Try it through a new 1x12 or a box that isnt so old. Might sound crispier.

EADGBE

Reaction score
I have two TSL60s. And the presence control sounds fine. I always have them on 10. As far as preamp tubes go try some Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

JT12345

Reaction score
Thanks for responses guys ! Gotta try new preamp tubes

coop333

Reaction score
The wolverines in the TSL 602 are junk as many have already stated. I just put in Vintage 30 celestions and my amp sounds sooo nice now. Prior to changing out the wolverines it seemed like increasing treble and presence did nothing to get rid of the muddy sound. Now it is bright with plenty of treble and presence when needed.

EADGBE

Reaction score
The wolverines in the TSL 602 are junk as many have already stated. I just put in Vintage 30 celestions and my amp sounds sooo nice now. Prior to changing out the wolverines it seemed like increasing treble and presence did nothing to get rid of the muddy sound. Now it is bright with plenty of treble and presence when needed.
My TSL602 is bright sounding with the stock Wolverines.