Tsl 60 Vs Dsl40c

• Thread starter bridge500t
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bridge500t

Reaction score
I picked up a used TSL60 last weekend on kind of a steal. Traded a Jet City JCA50 and some pedals I never used for it. After I got it home I played around with the TSL for a while and was enjoying the sound with the stock tubes. I then proceeded to replace the stock pre-amp tubes with Preferred series 7025's in V1-V3, and a Sovtek 12ax7lps in the phase inverter. The new tubes made it sound even better. Then I decided to do a comparison with my DSL40C today to check out the tonal differences. All i can say is that the TSL is good, but it does not hold up to the DSL. The DSL just sounds so much fuller and has more bottom end and even seems to have more power and just fills the room up better. I ran both amps through a 2x12 cab with Eminence Manowars in it. I do have all new tubes in the DSL including new power tubes. The tech that put in the power tubes stated it was actually running at 49.7 watts instead of 40. So now i need to get new power tubes for the TSL since from what I can tell they are still the stock ones and I am wondering if they may be a little week. Hoping the new power tubes will bring up more to the level of the DSL. As for effects, the DSL also takes effects through the loop much better. I generally just use a delay and with the TSL it is ok, but nothing great. The same delay through the DSL sounds great.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
They could be older tubes, yeah. I like the 3 channel capabilities of the TSL over the DSL, depending how you use it. The resonance control on 40C helps at lower volumes, use the Deep switch on TSL. My TSL122 is brutal in a good way at slightly higher volumes, like above 3 on MV. It's a killer, less fizzy, thick and loud. Lots of balls. Did you check bias on TSL, they have external bias points.

bridge500t

Reaction score
They could be older tubes, yeah. I like the 3 channel capabilities of the TSL over the DSL, depending how you use it. The resonance control on 40C helps at lower volumes, use the Deep switch on TSL. My TSL122 is brutal in a good way at slightly higher volumes, like above 3 on MV. It's a killer, less fizzy, thick and loud. Lots of balls. Did you check bias on TSL, they have external bias points.
I need to get a multimeter then I'm going too check the bias on it. I have the stock EL34's from the DSL and they are still good, I might throw them in to see if they help.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
As for effects, the DSL also takes effects through the loop much better. I generally just use a delay and with the TSL it is ok, but nothing great. The same delay through the DSL sounds great.

You are right. I run 3 time based effects thru the DSL40C effects loop. It is a fine loop in that amp.

dreyn77

Reaction score
My understanding of the TSL 60 amp is, it's supposed to be an amp for different styles of music other than powerful music, hence the reason it was 60 watts, and why it's got a cleaner than clean sound.

The idea for the DSL combo is for it to make sound which is different from another DSL model. A warmer sound product, etc...

The TSL's all sound different to the DSL's cause they're going for a different set of sounds. The job of the amp is what created the sound in the TSL models.

So, just compare TSL's to TSL's cause that's what will show you mild changes in sounds.
Comparing DSL's to TSL's is fun but not much can be determined about the products by doing that comparison.
The difference is too great between the designs.

MexicanMike

Reaction score
I have no knowledge of the TSL, but I am very familiar with the DSL40C & it is a killer amp. Unless you are absolutely in financial turmoil, keep both of them. Variety is the spice of life.

bridge500t

Reaction score
I have no knowledge of the TSL, but I am very familiar with the DSL40C & it is a killer amp. Unless you are absolutely in financial turmoil, keep both of them. Variety is the spice of life.
I actually bought it with the idea of flipping it but keeping it does seem like a good idea.

Latest posts