TSL60...even worth it?

• Thread starter Tatzmann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Eyeing one of the little TSL's, pretty sure i can get it for way under 200, problem is if it's even worth that much, or would i get more cheap fun out of a new pickup or something?

PelliX

Reaction score
I'd get it, presuming the guts don't look like it's seen a few fires and "that kid down the road" attempted to fix it at some point. TSL's can sound really, really good.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Okay, let's start the haggling.

... presuming the guts don't look like....

It does have a little "9-pin port" installed at the back, a vga-type connector or something similar.
Have no clue why, but it's located besides the footswitch-connector, maybe as a secondary connection for a different footswitch. But it comes with the original FS.

PelliX

Reaction score
It does have a little "9-pin port" installed at the back, a vga-type connector or something similar.

9 pin across two rows, upper having 5, lower having 4 would make it a D-sub 9, a.k.a serial port. Perhaps somebody hacked a little MIDI into it. After all, MIDI is unidirectional just serial data. Could also be a bunch of bias test points for some homebrew meter/test lead, haha. Sure made me curious now!

Have no clue why, but it's located besides the footswitch-connector, maybe as a secondary connection for a different footswitch. But it comes with the original FS.

Also a possibility, again we circle back to MIDI. Post gutshots when/if you have 'em!

Basket Case sounded kinda cool. I don't care for Green Day, but the Dookie album had a handful of real rocking tracks.

Kuga

Reaction score
Eyeing one of the little TSL's, pretty sure i can get it for way under 200, problem is if it's even worth that much, or would i get more cheap fun out of a new pickup or something?
No bias issues on the TSL60. I had one. Parallel FX loop it's rare. I didn't like It. I moded It to work like a booster. But a TSL100 it's better IMHO.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Can't beat that price, I really liked the TSL60 when I had one. Parallel Loop was a weak point, IMHO.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
T
Did you have a 2000DSL too? If so, how close
were the DSL and the TSL60?

Since i already got 2 2000DSL100's.

TSL 60 head? Or combo?
The TSL sounds more.. old school? I dunno. Less fizzy to me. I absolutely love mine but I do higher gain stuff. Tighten it up a lil with an OD.
If it is a combo the Wolverine speakers in the 602 2x12 are just atrocious. Lifeless and bland.
I prefer the TSL to the older DSLthus I still have my TSL

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
T

TSL 60 head? Or combo?
The TSL sounds more.. old school? I dunno. Less fizzy to me. I absolutely love mine but I do higher gain stuff. Tighten it up a lil with an OD.
If it is a combo the Wolverine speakers in the 602 2x12 are just atrocious. Lifeless and bland.
I prefer the TSL to the older DSLthus I still have my TSL
Jethro hit it on the head between head or combo. I tried to get the combo version to sound some sort of good but it just wouldn't. Stay away from that one. Those wolverine speakers are sad man. Gave a Marshall a black eye.

Kuga

Reaction score
Did you have a 2000DSL too? If so, how close
were the DSL and the TSL60?

Since i already got 2 2000DSL100's.

No. Just I can speak on TSL100 or TSL60. Both are different. The TSL100 it's brighter sound than a TSL60.

JSutter

Reaction score
I had a DSL100 and a TSL60. I liked most of the tones from the DSL but wanted independent EQ controls for more balanced clean to dirty sounds. The TSL was better in that regard. The parallel loop ruined the amp for me; I should have modded it.

The biggest difference is the DSL can do clean to medium gain on the green channel. The TSL is just clean. If you live on DSL green you may be disappointed with a TSL.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
I had a DSL100 and a TSL60. I liked most of the tones from the DSL but wanted independent EQ controls for more balanced clean to dirty sounds. The TSL was better in that regard. The parallel loop ruined the amp for me; I should have modded it.

The biggest difference is the DSL can do clean to medium gain on the green channel. The TSL is just clean. If you live on DSL green you may be disappointed with a TSL.
Thx mate!:yesway:

I live on the red side lead1 (gain at about 3 to 5) when i play the DSLs, never jived with the green side.

Is the TSL60 crunch/lead sonically about equivalent to DSL red, or more thick like DSL green?

Still trying to feel out how much i want to pay, it has what appears to be another two holes drilled at the back, but its kindoff hard to see, may just be bit of ducttape.

Kuga

Reaction score
The TSL100 clean channel it's way better than the TSL60 clean channel.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Be sure you can live with (or mod) the parallel loop.
It's TBE killer if it's anything like the one I had in my old DSL401.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
I use an efx loop maybe once every 5 years just to remind me why i never use efx when playing, so this is no problem for me. I do believe it is quite crappy, this parallel thing, since i saw a couple of these models were the owners installed switches in the back that switch between parallel/serial loop config. and all you guys state the same. Why did they do it in the first place parallel?

Kuga

Reaction score
Why did they do it in the first place parallel?
I don't know but the problem for me was volume balance between channels using the FX loop. Clean channel just have the master volume pot but crunch/lead channels has volume channel pot plus the master volume pot.

Latest posts