Tweaker 15 watt head vs Champ X2 head

• Thread starter dexter74
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dexter74

Reaction score
Considering getting one of these soon and looking for opinions. I play mostly classic rock, (Led Zep, Cream, etc.), but also like Eric Johnson's tone. I have pedals to use with it, Voodoo Lab Giggity, Sparkle Drive Mod, echo, reverb, chorus and a fuzz face. This would be for home use only, btw. Would be using a 10 inch Eminence Ramrod speaker in cabinet I have as well. So of the two, which is the more versatile in getting these tones? No place to try a Tweaker around here. Concerns about the Tweaker are many report bad humming issues, made in China, and a little more $$ than the Champ. Concerns about the Champ are it's not really a total tube amp, made in Mexico, (better than made in China?) and need to re bias when tubes get changed. Appreciate any and all opinions.

Cheers.

minerman

Reaction score
Never tried the Super Champ myself, but I do have a Tweaker 15H, & it's a really good little amp. To me, it can do some pretty convincing Fender & Marshall tones, but to me, they're on the vintage sounding side (which isn't a bad thing)....

I bought my T15 blind/without trying, based on clips, & from suggestions from forum members here, & again, it's a really good little amp...

I'd go with the Tweaker myself, again, it can do a pretty convincing Fender sound, plus a few other tones as well....

johnfv

Reaction score
The Tweaker is a keeper. Search around here for the threads, you will find many fans.

Woody_in_MN

Reaction score
I have both. Mainly cause I found a great deal on both. In general I think the Tweaker has a purer tone. But it might come down to convenience. If you are the kind of player that finds a tone and stays there - the Tweaker is the winner IMO. If you like to go from one tone to another fairly frequently - the SCXD2 might be more convenient for you. BTW - I about 1/2 way through programming the SCXD2 with the FUSE sioftware. Stock most of the Fender tones I just don't like - but when I am done I think I will have something useful.

dexter74

Reaction score
I have both. Mainly cause I found a great deal on both. In general I think the Tweaker has a purer tone. But it might come down to convenience. If you are the kind of player that finds a tone and stays there - the Tweaker is the winner IMO. If you like to go from one tone to another fairly frequently - the SCXD2 might be more convenient for you. BTW - I about 1/2 way through programming the SCXD2 with the FUSE sioftware. Stock most of the Fender tones I just don't like - but when I am done I think I will have something useful.

Thanks. And no issues with the Tweaker? It seems purer to me as well. I tried the X2 combo, but it had bad tube rattling so thought maybe the head is the answer. With pedals the X2 combo wasn't quite there for me on ch 2, weird artifacts and fizzy noises (I didn't try the Fuse software however). Channel one was a bit better. Some good sounds with a Les Paul w/o pedals, but the Strat sounded weak to me with and w/o them. Didn't seem to have much volume difference going from 3-7 on channel one as well w/ the Strat.

madDdog67

Reaction score
For the same price of the Tweaker 15, take a look at the Jet City 22H. 2 channel, does everything from slight overdrive to *almost* metal, good effects loop, and sounds great at low volume.

I have a Tweaker 15, it's a good little amp, but I've never really bonded all that well with it. As a matter of fact, it's on my list of stuff to sell in the upcoming Great Gear Purge ® :).

I've tried a ton of small/low watt heads over the last couple of years, and the JCA22H is the best of them by far, imho. Very flexible setup if you keep the gain dialed back on the overdrive channel and run a boost into the front.

The only criticism I have for the 22h is that is doesn't do the whole "clean" thing well...not enough headroom. For everything else, though, this thing rocks.

tom310

Reaction score
Considering getting one of these soon and looking for opinions. I play mostly classic rock, (Led Zep, Cream, etc.), but also like Eric Johnson's tone. I have pedals to use with it, Voodoo Lab Giggity, Sparkle Drive Mod, echo, reverb, chorus and a fuzz face. This would be for home use only, btw. Would be using a 10 inch Eminence Ramrod speaker in cabinet I have as well. So of the two, which is the more versatile in getting these tones? No place to try a Tweaker around here. Concerns about the Tweaker are many report bad humming issues, made in China, and a little more $$ than the Champ. Concerns about the Champ are it's not really a total tube amp, made in Mexico, (better than made in China?) and need to re bias when tubes get changed. Appreciate any and all opinions.

Cheers.

I've owned both. I still have the Tweaker head/cab. I think there's no comparison, the Tweaker wins hands down.

BobV

Reaction score
If you are the kind of player that finds a tone and stays there - the Tweaker is the winner IMO.

That's kind of ironic since it's an amp with lots of switches and tricks. Maybe that helps dial in the tone you like, but you could do that shopping for other lunchbox heads. I didn't think the switches were all that convincing. It does a decent clean Fender tone, but then the Vox gritty chime thing isn't that nice, and the Marshall tones are muddy. Like a lot of Egnator products, it's great on paper. Make sure you hear one yourself before you plunk down the dosh.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
That's a tough one cuz both are nice. I guess it comes down to do the effects and 2 channels of the Fender mean anything to you over a 1 channel straight up Tweaker with an fx loop. Theyre cheap enough, you could order both and try them side by side and return the loser.

dcsocal

Reaction score
I had a Tweaker head for a bit and couldn't warm up to it. Looking back on it now it was nothing a tube change couldn't have changed. To be fair though I was balancing a DSL50, Tiny Terror, and HT5 so I don't think I gave it a fair shake.

Needless to say I have been GAS'ing for a Tweaker once again. At 15 watts it is plenty loud, FX Loop, and it sounds good after playing them a bit more now.

johnfv

Reaction score
...nothing a tube change couldn't have changed...
For a lot of amps rolling output tubes makes a relatively small difference. In the Tweaker where we tend to crank the output tubes pretty high, I have a "four letter word" for you: 6P3S. You can thank Alan (RiverRatt) later...

Riffraff

Reaction score
For a lot of amps rolling output tubes makes a relatively small difference. In the Tweaker where we tend to crank the output tubes pretty high, I have a "four letter word" for you: 6P3S. You can thank Alan (RiverRatt) later...

I AGREE 100%.

I'm kind of surprised someone stated that the switches and controls didn't offer much. I find they are more effective on the T15 than any other amp I have ever owned. Perhaps it is in how you are running it. I tend to run mine in the "CLEAN" mode most of the time and crank & boost it with an OD for heavier tone. I much prefer that over the "HOT" setting.

dcsocal

Reaction score

Where can I get my hands on these?

minerman

Reaction score
Ebay will probably be your best bet, I don't know if Alan (River Ratt) has any more....but, as much as he trades/swaps/sells/wheels/deals, that may have changed, you could ask him....

BTW, those tubes do make a pretty big difference in the Tweaker, I wouldn't have believed it myself until I heard 'em.....

Here's a link, about the first thing that popped up when searching for "6P3S" on Ebay:

4X 6P3S 6L6 6L6GT Tubes 1970'x OTK Same Codes | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

brp

Reaction score
+1 on the 6P3S in the Tweaker.
And I like that it's not a terribly bright amp in the british setting. You can certainly brighten it up with some tweaking in the other modes.

Like Riff Raff, I stay away from the hot setting and use a OFA SD-1 or TS-9 to boost the front end.

minerman

Reaction score
Like Riff Raff, I stay away from the hot setting and use a OFA SD-1 or TS-9 to boost the front end.

Pretty much how I use my T15 too, although at times I do like to use the hot channel/setting, with the gain way down (about 2-3) & boost the front end....

I do have to admit though, I haven't used the Tweaker very much since I got the DSL-1, but I'm doing some recording (on vacation until July 8th), & will most likely fire it up for some different tones/flavors....