Two modded Marshalls vs. a JVM 205

Eddylenz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I finally have the equipment and enough space to do proper videos again and started it off with a comparison between my two Bogner modded Marshalls and my stepdad's JVM205, which has 6L6 tubes.
For this first video I'm using my silent recording Ownhammer IR setup, but I'm planning on doing a video with my old 1960BV cab too.

In my opinion, the IRs change the Bogner's sound for the worse and the JVM's sound for the better, which is funny. This puts them almost on the same level in this comparison, but I still prefer the modded ones. I'm excited to hear how they compare though a miced cab.

What do you think?

jchrisf

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I finally have the equipment and enough space to do proper videos again and started it off with a comparison between my two Bogner modded Marshalls and my stepdad's JVM205, which has 6L6 tubes.
For this first video I'm using my silent recording Ownhammer IR setup, but I'm planning on doing a video with my old 1960BV cab too.

In my opinion, the IRs change the Bogner's sound for the worse and the JVM's sound for the better, which is funny. This puts them almost on the same level in this comparison, but I still prefer the modded ones. I'm excited to hear how they compare though a miced cab.

What do you think?

Eddy, I posted your video yesterday in a thread I created.. Being a subscriber to your channel I saw it as soon as you posted :)
https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/jvm-vs-dsl-for-hot-rod-jcm-tones.116119/page-2#post-2035491

Just curious, can you just swap to 6L6s in the JVM without modding anything? Also, you have such great talent at modding amps and playing in the style I love what would you recommend for a bedroom amp that can achieve these tones? Unfortunately you are across the pond and it'd be too expensive to send something to you or anyone else for that matter but it seems I have narrowed it down to a DSL, JVM or some kind of modded Ceriatone. I like those hot rodded Marshall 80s hair metal tones from Ratt to Dokken to Queensryche to even Poisen and Firehouse.. XYZ.. I could go on.

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
You can swap EL34 to 6l6 as long as there is enough adjustment for appropriate bias current.
This applies to the JVM series and the 2555x.

Eddylenz

Reaction score
Eddy, I posted your video yesterday in a thread I created.. Being a subscriber to your channel I saw it as soon as you posted :)
https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/jvm-vs-dsl-for-hot-rod-jcm-tones.116119/page-2#post-2035491

Just curious, can you just swap to 6L6s in the JVM without modding anything? Also, you have such great talent at modding amps and playing in the style I love what would you recommend for a bedroom amp that can achieve these tones? Unfortunately you are across the pond and it'd be too expensive to send something to you or anyone else for that matter but it seems I have narrowed it down to a DSL, JVM or some kind of modded Ceriatone. I like those hot rodded Marshall 80s hair metal tones from Ratt to Dokken to Queensryche to even Poisen and Firehouse.. XYZ.. I could go on.
Thank you for the share and the kind words! I'd probably go with a JVM or a Ceriatone in that case.

Rudy v

Reaction score
You dont have the punch fore a high gain sounds good but for my its a bit low you still in controle of your amp and sound a bit like cardboard nice but not for myself

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me the first amp sounds best and the JVM sounds kind of choked. The first amp has an open clarity to it that really works!
Yeah, I agree about the Jvm. It just doesn’t seem to keep up tone wise with the other two imo. Slightly thin sounding in this comparison to me.

Great comparison Eddy.

NoelH

Reaction score
They all sound great. I think I lean toward the Bogner-modded Marshall with the chicken head knobs. That has that sound that tells me it feels good to play. I'm betting it's really touch-sensitive. But 205 sounds great too.

Eddylenz

Reaction score
They all sound great. I think I lean toward the Bogner-modded Marshall with the chicken head knobs. That has that sound that tells me it feels good to play. I'm betting it's really touch-sensitive. But 205 sounds great too.
Yeah, it does feel good to play.

The Dose of Harmony

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

What do you think?

Hey Dude !!!
Its that Traditional ProIV with 57’s ?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
To learn more about impulse responses, I suggest Googling for the term. You'll get many informative articles. Basically they're a short swept audio tone, which sounds like a chirp, that is derived from running a reference (flat response) audio sweep signal through a speaker/cabinet combination and the result is captured with a high quality microphone. Thus, the frequency response of the speaker/cabinet is captured in the IR. The IR is analyzed by the software in the digital preamp and the output frequency response is adjusted so as to match the impulse response.

So, the IR allows the digital amp to emulate the sound of the specific speaker/cabinet that the IR was captured from.