UPS Danger Awareness

• Thread starter chromespiral
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chromespiral

Reaction score
I found a good deal on a dsl40cr mint. Ships from TX to TN UPS. Here’s what happens if you ship your Marshall UPS and what they do. I called UPS as soon as I got tracking and said I was receiving a package that was heavy,bulky,expensive,and fragile. No need to put it on the truck for delivery please hold for pickup at local UPS hub. I thought that was a pretty reasonable request saving them resources. UPS informed me there would be an additional $8 charge for this apparent strain on their system. This after shipping has already been paid. Otherwise the package would be held for pickup only after THREE delivery attempts. I don’t need anymore shipping and handling thean absolutely necessary and this is a Marshall so I was about to pay the $8 when it occurred to me that I was participating in theft from me. F me? No F YOU!!! kicked in. Then these assholes proceed to do whatever the hell it is they please with my property. I told them I wouldn’t be home and on my camera I see two UPS guys tote the amp up to my door and back to the truck. I’m at work like I said I would be that’s why it would be best if you could just hold it but go on ahead. They lied about the second attempt when they found out it’s heavy. Then on a Fri they lied and told me next attempt would be Mon. I was livid!!! I guess they didn’t want me up in the hub jerking back and forth so after they saw I was pissed and not about to pay the $8 ransom for my property they got some older gentleman busting his ass by himself to bring it on Sat after telling me wait until Mon. He sits this thing down on my porch and I swear it looked like it had rolled down the side of a mountain. The driver has that look like he’s ready to get blasted. Didn’t take it out on the driver he never should have been involved. I signed for it and took pictures. Then I peeled back the loose cardboard and paper to reveal the pristine Marshall dsl40cr all tube 1x12 combo amp unscathed by the grace of God. UPS made nearly 14 billion dollars in profits last year and they want me to pay more to receive my property because they know most people will just pay. Busy working people who can’t sit around waiting on UPS. This was an ordeal. I ended up not able to leave the house all day Sat waiting on them. I would absolutely have refused this package if I could have but it was a Marshall. I’m telling you guys they did their best to put this amp as much risk as possible just to hustle me for an $8 fee with no regard for the inconvenience caused not only for me but especially their employees they allowed to do extra work in vain. Despicable. Not sure if other carriers are different but if you have anything valuable don’t let it fall into the hands of UPS. Hope the Teamsters bust their balls off.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I found a good deal on a dsl40cr mint. Ships from TX to TN UPS. Here’s what happens if you ship your Marshall UPS and what they do. I called UPS as soon as I got tracking and said I was receiving a package that was heavy,bulky,expensive,and fragile. No need to put it on the truck for delivery please hold for pickup at local UPS hub. I thought that was a pretty reasonable request saving them resources. UPS informed me there would be an additional $8 charge for this apparent strain on their system. This after shipping has already been paid. Otherwise the package would be held for pickup only after THREE delivery attempts. I don’t need anymore shipping and handling thean absolutely necessary and this is a Marshall so I was about to pay the $8 when it occurred to me that I was participating in theft from me. F me? No F YOU!!! kicked in. Then these assholes proceed to do whatever the hell it is they please with my property. I told them I wouldn’t be home and on my camera I see two UPS guys tote the amp up to my door and back to the truck. I’m at work like I said I would be that’s why it would be best if you could just hold it but go on ahead. They lied about the second attempt when they found out it’s heavy. Then on a Fri they lied and told me next attempt would be Mon. I was livid!!! I guess they didn’t want me up in the hub jerking back and forth so after they saw I was pissed and not about to pay the $8 ransom for my property they got some older gentleman busting his ass by himself to bring it on Sat after telling me wait until Mon. He sits this thing down on my porch and I swear it looked like it had rolled down the side of a mountain. The driver has that look like he’s ready to get blasted. Didn’t take it out on the driver he never should have been involved. I signed for it and took pictures. Then I peeled back the loose cardboard and paper to reveal the pristine Marshall dsl40cr all tube 1x12 combo amp unscathed by the grace of God. UPS made nearly 14 billion dollars in profits last year and they want me to pay more to receive my property because they know most people will just pay. Busy working people who can’t sit around waiting on UPS. This was an ordeal. I ended up not able to leave the house all day Sat waiting on them. I would absolutely have refused this package if I could have but it was a Marshall. I’m telling you guys they did their best to put this amp as much risk as possible just to hustle me for an $8 fee with no regard for the inconvenience caused not only for me but especially their employees they allowed to do extra work in vain. Despicable. Not sure if other carriers are different but if you have anything valuable don’t let it fall into the hands of UPS. Hope the Teamsters bust their balls off.
You should have had it delivered to a UPS store from the get go and picked it up after work. :shrug:

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Yeah don't order from a company that uses team brown, until it's over.
Save yourself a headache.

I always greet my UPS guy outside,either with a 2 or 4 wheel dolly to ease his stop. He knows to put it in the garage if the weather's iffy. He respects my chit,but prior to that im certain that it's tossed unnecessarily & abused.

Last edited:

chromespiral

Reaction score
Then they delivered the alternator for my car somewhere 20 miles away. I eventually got it. True story. The dsl40cr is insane. Don’t listen to these maniacs. You don’t need to change the speaker or get some rare ancient voodoo butter tubes. Marshall did right with this. All the Marshally goodness you need can be found in this box. And you have outputs for an extension cab if you want to play speaker swap game instead of playing music. Eddie Van Halen would love this amp

Geeze

Reaction score
One word - union. Show me one modern organization in this country that has improved service after being unionized. They don't give a crap and almost can't be fired. Sad thing is large corporations treating their employees like crap - looking at you, Amazon - are opening the door to the snake pit of unionization. And of course, fecal matter flows downhill...

Next word - automation. you think it's kind to your package but it's not. The # of packages UPS moves daily is staggering - 2 years ago our reps boss told us they shipped 5% of the world's GDP. Also 2 million packages per shift at their international sort center in Knoxville.

We ship 6 to 8K packages yearly and UPS is the best of the bunch and the easiest to beat $ out of when things go pear shaped. They manage to lose about 15-20 packages a year.

Oh by the way that BS headline about the average UPS driver makes $171K a year left out a critical word - airplane driver.

Russ

Thevenin

Reaction score
I ship $20-30k of goods on UPS daily with good results. Maybe I'm lucky, but all the UPS guys I work around are dependable and organize the truck with care. The lower paid terminal workers may be a different story. Very few claims over the years. Fedex and DHL may not show up and USPS will leave anything outside. In SE Austin, that item will be gone in 10 minutes.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I worked at an eCommerce store. We used all the major carriers. They are all good.
Do people realize just how many packages travel around the country every day?
Most Americans have zero clue how lucky they are and how bad delivery is in some countries.

The OP got his amp on time and in perfect condition but is too cheap to pay the $8.00 to have them hold it and then starts a whiny thread about it???
Classic example of entitlement mentaslity running rampant right now.

One word - union. Show me one modern organization in this country that has improved service after being unionized. They don't give a crap and almost can't be fired. Sad thing is large corporations treating their employees like crap - looking at you, Amazon - are opening the door to the snake pit of unionization. And of course, fecal matter flows downhill...
Air Traffic Control Union. Over worked and under staffed but they do a great job.
You'll be happy to know unions have been in a steady decline for decades (thanks to union busting gov policy).
You'll also be happy to know child labor is making a come back.
Keep your fingers crossed- maybe we'll get some good old fashioned sweatshops back soon too!
Child labor in America

Those that don't learn from the past are bound to repeat it.

01137v.jpg

Geeze

Reaction score
Air Traffic Control Union
You mean the guys that came after St, Reagan fired the first batch and banned them from ever being rehired? I'll give you that sorta - the old union patco was dissolved and the new crew behaved.

The idea of a union to protect workers is still a good idea, but most of them the power and treasure are the goal and they exist to feed themselves.

Sorry for the thread derail - very glad your amp works!

Russ

Dozer

Reaction score

Every broken item I have received was handled by UPS. Including 2 amps.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
yeah, I have had similar issues with pretty much every shipping company there is... UPS, FedEx, USPS, Amazon delivery... the main issue is pretty much universal across the board... simply put: PEOPLE. DON'T. CARE. - period. you cannot pay them enough to care, especially when one delivery person has a hundred deliveries to make on any given day.

you know how many times I've had someone (take your pick of delivery service) drop my package off on one of my neighbor's porches?? that's probably my biggest issue. and once again, no one company is better or worse than the other. and at my house, and most of my neighbor's houses, our house/street number is very clearly displayed on all our porches and on our houses. they could not be any clearer. once again - PEOPLE DON'T GIVE A DAMN. you have to care to do your job properly.

a few years ago I spent $500 on a guitar for my son's xmas gift, which I ordered through Reverb.com. ... the FedEx delivery person left it on the porch of a neighbor that was about 7 or 8 houses down from me. thankfully, I eventually got it, but nevertheless, I was absolutely furious. and the worst part is that this happens probably one out of every 10 items that I order online. and there is NOTHING anyone can do about it. I've complained countless times over the years, and it just keeps happening. do I have to display my address number with a gigantic blinking neon sign??

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
Either they don't care or they can't read...........
yep, probably both... also, they could have earbuds in, listening to their phone, and are too distracted to do their job properly. it could be a combination of all three. thankfully, in my experience it doesn't happen often, but me and my family on average, are doing an online order probably every few weeks. this happens maybe one out of every 10 orders that we do. there is no excuse for misdeliveries on my street. none at all. if they just look up and pay attention, they will get it right. that's all they need to do... and if the O.P. here thinks that UPS is the only company causing aggravation, and frustration, they are sorely mistaken. EVERY delivery company can be a huge pain in the ass on any given day.