V30's and greenbacks mixed in 4x12

• Thread starter jtunes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jtunes

Reaction score
I wanna try it but wanna know your thoughts out there on this combo in a 412 , does the V30's overpower the greenie too much?
How does it go a higher volumes? :hmm:

Cheers Jon

wkcchampion

Reaction score
I wouldn't becuase there's too much difference in wattage between the two

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
This is a bit off the posts but what is the fascination with V30’s? If you are going to do an interesting mix why not mix greenbacks with G12-75T or G12- 30H? the V30’s has a very stingy midrange tone like a greenback. Again I think a lot of people listen with their eyes and not with their ears.

jtunes

Reaction score
This is a bit off the posts but what is the fascination with V30’s? If you are going to do an interesting mix why not mix greenbacks with G12-75T or G12- 30H? the V30’s has a very stingy midrange tone like a greenback. Again I think a lot of people listen with their eyes and not with their ears.

Iv'e not had alot to do with V30's over the years , I have played thru a 1960 a box for 20 years and am just experimenting with a few different sounds and Im lovin it!!! The Idea of the V30's to me is to get some mids in the mix of a 5 piece full on loud rock band to really cut thru with my lead breaks when I roll my volume on the guitar up on my 2204... its not a problem with my DSL because of the 2 channels ... If this doesnt work out I wuill put a buffered effects loop in the 2204 and run a level boosted EQ in the loop for a headroom jump...

andylaughs

Reaction score
All depends on your preference ... I've done it and loved it. Who cares about the difference in power handling? Really shouldn't matter as long as you aren't pushing 150 watts through the cab.

TubeStack

Reaction score
When mixing speakers, I don't think the difference in wattage matters as much as the difference in sensitivity, but even in that respect, these two are not that far apart (GB 98 dB, V30 100 dB, unless it's the Heritage GB to which you're referring, which is 96 dB and would likely be too big a gap).

But, as others have said, the V30 and the GB are similar speakers to be mixing, in that they're mids-emphasized speakers and aren't likely to compliment each other well, if one is trying to find speakers that fill out each other's strong/weak points. Although I'm sure somebody somewhere has tried it and loves it, tone is so subjective. :) I would imagine the non-breaking up mids of the V30 would cover up/smear over the breaking-up, crunchy mids of the GB.

One speaker that I've found mixes incredibly well with GB's is a Scumback H75, which is basically a clone of a pre-Rola Celestion G12H-30. I loved these two speakers together in my Z-Best cab. I'm even thinking of mixing two of them with the GBs in my 1960bx cab, although four GBs is a magical thing and I'm not sure if I want to mess with that. But the Celestion G12M/Scumback H75 is an amazing blend, partly because they're so close in sensitivity/efficiency (98dB/99dB), and also because their voicings compliment each other in a really killer way.

Salsg

Reaction score
V30s will help cut thru the mix. If you like the GB and V30 mix, then go with it.
I have used a GB mix with a G12H and it works well, so does a V30 and G12H. I've also used a V30 and G12T-75, and I didn't like that, but I hate the 75s.
V30 and GB are mid rangey, but still different tone.

mtm105

Reaction score
I have Vin30 and GB in oversized 2X12. Mine is direct from boutique manufacturer. (Its actually designed at 32 Ohms.)

Vin30 has a LOT of relentless bark. GB calmy tries to tame it without altering the Vin30's tone and effectiveness. The GB is complimentary. It allows Vin30 to take center stage. Two Vin30's results in too much mid-range.

I've done mixing and didn't like the results if the relationship between the speakers is too wide. WGS Reaper HP and Invader.

shooto

Reaction score
V30/GB mix is a Cameron thing....I have the same but use Emi V12s and Emi GB12s-

really like it...they compliment and give a really 3D sound spectrum

I don't think I could go back to a cab that is all one type of sound...so boring and flat-

Salsg

Reaction score
I don't think I could go back to a cab that is all one type of sound...so boring and flat-

You might if it's a cab of all Celestion Golds. I pretty much mix all ceramic speakers, but no need with the Golds. They have their own richness and complexity.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
no, the greenies will sound audibly louder as they have a higher sensitivity (but closer than v30 and 75's which work well too). personally I like greenies and v30's. I also like greenies and blues.

BowerR64

Reaction score
I only had a pair of V30s at first 8 ohms and the only other set i had 8 ohms was a set of 70/80s the V30s are warm with a very rolled off top end i feel.

The 70/80s filled in all the spots perfect. Then i found another pair of V30s and switched them out with the 70/80s and i miss that edgy top end the 70/80s had.

I gave the 70/80s to my friend when i got the second set of V30s now im kicking myself for it.

What is a good replacement for the 70/80? does the G12T-75 have a brighter top end then the V30s?

The one greenback i have i find warm like the V30s but the midrange in the V30s is better. I paired the greenback with a 1230 sheffield the sheffield is harsh by itself.

I think the V30s and GBs need something with them to fill in the gaps.

just my opinion though.

mtm105

Reaction score
//////////////////this is a NECRO thread, BTW./////////////////////////////

dreyn77

Reaction score
GREAT! another opportunity to talk guitar stuff. ;)

so a speaker which makes all the sound treble and another speaker which makes all the presence sound will together maker a all presence sound with boosting in the treble region.
kinda like a WAH boost effect without the pedal movement. kinda like an EQ pedal with all the trebles with some more power.

it's a TERRIBLE EQ sound. and pointless in a 4 speaker box.

SO 4 of the same speakers is going to get you a big 1 speaker version sound. with natural thrust power built into the sound caused by 4 pushes of air at the same time.

these little tricks are not needed never were never will be from now on.
cause celestion spend 1 million on R&D and superseeded both these designs.

with the coil splits on guitars today these speakers (the greenbacks inparticular) are very mean and nasty to hear.

you should be using the best midrange enhanced speaker called the classic lead 80.
you're kidding yourself if you think the V30's has mids in it's sound.
no! celestion never ever has claimed the speakers do 'mids'.
the presence sound is the 'right here' sound it's not 'mids' as such cause then you'd need trebles and bass in the sound.

there's a few speakers post1990 which claim to have mids sounds.

presence is bright and clear sound not trebles mids and bass.
you'll only hear the bright clear actual sound from one location.

so you have a bright clear sound with a bright speaker cross sound. so you get bright and more bright.
it's no good.

If you're doing lead sounds you really need a speaker which tells you it's offering you a classic lead sound all the time.

If you want the heritage sound you need the speaker with heritage printed on the label. etc...

it's all pretty simple. don't keep dragging the past into today.

you guys should be raving about classic lead speakers all the time. but for some strange reason you're never mentioning them.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
IT'S WHAT I HAVE IN MY CAB...V-30 + GREENBACK = FCKIN AWESOME!!

I have been mixxijg speakers for as long as I have had more than one kind of speaker!!

THE GRENBACK/V-30 MIX IS THE BEST combo/mix I have come across to date!

and what evah ya do don't take the word of online fools on a forum..

try it your self

and by the way here's some dudes that might know a little about such things

-CAMERON-(uses a V-30 & GREENBACK mix)-
-FRIEDMAN-(uses a V-30 & GREENBACK mix)-
-and many more-

go to musicians friend,..pull up the CELESTION section,..see how many speaker combos -they suggest....

Latest posts