Vintage 30's in a Vintage Modern/1960 B cab?

• Thread starter jtunes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jtunes

Reaction score
Hi I am currently running a modded 2204 thru an orange 412 and it sounds awesome .. the only thing is the cab weighs a ton and my back and shouldrs ( need shoulder roconstruction ) and a hernia are making the cab almost imposible to play out with ,
I I have been offered a Vintage modern straight cab unloaded that I can put the Vintage 30'e in out of the orange cab .. this would help my ailing body .. but would it sound ok?
anyone tried the celestion V 30's ( not the marshall branded ones) in a marshall straight cab?
Did it sound good .. did the lighter wieght cab contstuction cause it to loose all the bottom end and become crappy sounding?
any feedback would be great ..

Cheers J

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I would think it would sound just as good, and it would be just as heavy. 4x12 = 4x12 basically. Not much difference either way. WHy not get a 2x12? My thoughts...

Beccaio

Reaction score
OP...never picked up an Orange cab....are they really that much heavier than a Marshall?

What about getting a DSL 401 that can be mic'd?

J:wave:
I would think it would sound just as good, and it would be just as heavy. 4x12 = 4x12 basically. Not much difference either way. WHy not get a 2x12? My thoughts...

Led4thehed2

Reaction score
Yeah man, the Marshall cabs with Vintage 30s still tip the scales at around 90 pounds. They're heavy mothers and definitely not meant to be carried on your own, especially with the health issues you described. Sounds like the largest thing you might be able to handle on your own is a small 2X12. The 1922 2X12s are about 40 pounds, but I don't really hear people rave about them. The 1936s are 55 pounds, but people seem to be rather fond of them.

As far as the sound goes, plenty of people like the V30s, or the V30s paired with something else. The V30s crunch really nicely and the mid frequency they highlight really stands out and cuts through. They're definitely not known for a strong bass frequency, so some people pair them with a G12T-75 for that reason. If lugging a 4X12 is killing you, try to find a small extension cabinet and get a friend to help you carry it. Isn't that what friends are for?:naughty: Take care

jtunes

Reaction score
Thanx guys for the replies , The Orange cabs are around the 50kg or 115pounds v the Marshall Cabs that are around 36kg or 70 to 80 pounds .. The orange cabs have thier handles lower to the ground than the marshall which means that you have to get down lower to just even pick them up over a crack in the street ...
I guess that it would sound similar .. I will give the X pattern 75's a shot if its too bright and directional ..
Whats the best way to Mic a box with one mic in an X pattern configuration ?

Cadblaster

Reaction score
I switched to 2x12's for the same reasons. Also added a spacer block with large casters to help raise the cab, so I don't have to bend over so far to grab the side handles. Weight is 50lbs. Mixing speakers to get plently of bottom end, but only mic'ing the V30 for gigs to cut thru the mix.

Fe911

Reaction score
I'm with you on the shoulder, but not as bad. I have a big metal plate where my collar bone kind of is. Right where a guitar strap causes it to really irritate.
Bad thing about going from a 4x12 to a smaller cab is that it doesn't sound as good. Something about that big box and four speakers just sound right with a Marshall! A 1936 is close, I have a 1966a that is pretty good too, but not quite there. But I'll always take that out over the 1960.
As far as speakers go, it's simple with a 2204. Just get 65's. I've tried pretty much all celestions and eminence's. And they even work really well in open back cabs. There is nothing better for that amp! They came with my 2104, and they sounded perfect in the combo. Better than my 25's and 30's, x pattern in a 1960. Way better than v30's in another cab. Then I got a 4x12 with them and even better! I bet they would sound great in any well built, closed back 2x12 with your amp.

diesel king

Reaction score
In my opinion cab construction and size make a big difference and orange 4 x 12's with V30's sound way better than the Marshall equivalents. Orange cabs are heavy as fuck, but then a Marshall 4 x 12 is still surely gonna be a bitch to haul around with a bad shoulder too no? Good luck anyway man

DenverRob

Reaction score
I play my 2204 through a Marshall 1960B straight cab with V30's and it sounds great to me. Bottom end is firm. Now, the Vintage Modern cab is different. Designed for Greenbacks and the VM amp. Don't know if that would make a difference. But sounds like you need a roadie. Tell your singer he needs to help out LOL.

jtunes

Reaction score
I play my 2204 through a Marshall 1960B straight cab with V30's and it sounds great to me. Bottom end is firm. Now, the Vintage Modern cab is different. Designed for Greenbacks and the VM amp. Don't know if that would make a difference. But sounds like you need a roadie. Tell your singer he needs to help out LOL.

I am gunna do it.
I'll let you know how things go.
Cheers
Jon

jtunes

Reaction score
OK I have done it , the other guirtarist in my bands thinks Im nut's swapping an orange cab unloaded for a VM cab unloaded but .. I will save on chiropracdtor bills in the long run .. :D

Initial impressions from the V30's that came out of the orange cab and put in the VM< b cab ... alot more bark and in your face ness!!
\I pulled my old trusty DSL out that I upgraded OT'and choke thanx to JCM from here a couple of years ago, ( sounds killer ) and its a match made in heaven:slash:

I caulked the baffle edges and upgraded speaker wire to 14guage and ..holy fuck!!
More definition and punch .. bottom end is percussive and not overely chewy .. mids are evened out .. next is to wire it up to a single 16 ohm input and fuck that dodgy marshall platic pcb board swithing assembly off ( i re did all the soldering on it just because it looked weak )
I love this cab .. was gunne put some t75's or g30h anniversaie in X pattern in it to beef up the bottom end but I rhink Ill run with all V30's for a while ( just love the way they sit in a band mix :dude:)

I report back some more when I get a few more gigs underr the belt with this rig

jtunes

Reaction score
Update , got a clip from my samsung galxy phone .. real sloppy playing but you get the idea of the cab .. the phone was on voice recorder about 3 feet infrtont of the cab .. the level was about just above bedroom .

This rig sounds ripping cranked up , these vintage 30's rock!! and my little ceriatone 2204 is a monster amp!!

Ceriatone 2204-Gibson les paul mick B 12k A2 bridge by jon field on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Ill get to some decent ones soon when I get the proper recording gear.

Cheers

Latest posts