• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

vintage G12-65's

• Thread starter wiredog73
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wiredog73

Reaction score
hey guys! first of all, i'm a newbie when it comes to marshalls so bear with me. i bought a 1982 jcm800/2210 model half stack for $1000...love the head, but didn't know what speakers were in the cab (labeled jcm800) so i finally open it, and they are celestion G12-65's....

1) are these good speakers? they sound fine when i play through them

2) the fact that they are 15ohms....is that normal? because i was expecting 16 ohms...

again, i'm new to this so forgive me if these questions sound silly. any wisdom will be appreciated!

Attachments

• speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 73

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Is a red Ferrari good? yes! Are vintage 65's good? yes yes. Keep them for your JCM800, they are perfect. If you want to sell them, I'm only a phone call away.

Vintage are 15Ω, thats normal. No problem there just use them as 16Ω speakers.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
The G12-65's are my favorite Celestion. They do a lot of styles very well. You lucked out when you got them. They are highly desirable on the used market.

Note: I noticed that there wasn't any screw hole in your center brace. Does your cab have a screw going into the center brace? If not, you need to put one there.

wiredog73

Reaction score
marty..thanks for the advice..i guess the marshall guys were sloppy that day..no drill hole...but i will put one on!

trigmachine

Reaction score
I think they're great speakers and if Robben Ford likes em they cant be bad!

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine isn't screwed either.
I just put a couple of layers of duct tape on the end of that center pole to create more pressue with the pole and back panel to assure no vibrations.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Hmmm...good point. I screwed mine down but now there's a screw in the back of my cab. I wonder if some cabs rattle if not screwed down?

richedie

Reaction score
G12-65's can be a bit harsh. Something like Splawn Small Block 65s are warmer.

If you are going to get them, get the Heritage version, they are smoother.

Clammy

Reaction score
The G12-65's are my favorite Celestion. They do a lot of styles very well. You lucked out when you got them. They are highly desirable on the used market.

Note: I noticed that there wasn't any screw hole in your center brace. Does your cab have a screw going into the center brace? If not, you need to put one there.

The screw through the back into the center brace is something fairly new. JCM 800s didn't have it.

Cheers!
:dude::dude::dude:

Axeologist

Reaction score
Man I wish I was lucky like that. When I buy used I usually find out down the road that someone has jacked something up or replaced something with cheap crap. G12 65's? uh, ya that's good stuff.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
Did any JCM cabs come with G12-65s? Or was he just lucky? :)
If they did... then what's the model?

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Did any JCM cabs come with G12-65s? Or was he just lucky? :)
If they did... then what's the model?

They did. They were the better cabs. The others being G12M70's and then 75's of course.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a cab where the centre brace is screwed to the backboard.

Any 1960 cab in the last decade has had the center brace secured by a screw. Older ones did not have it.

It makes sense, I do it to any cab I work on. If there is enough sound pressure inside a cabinet it can move that rear baffle enough in some cases to make noise against the center brace. :)

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
My cabs back plate is preety scratched up, hard to read, but the wattage written on the plate is 280 watts on these cabs, and its a JCM800 cab.

Latest posts