Vintage Marshall for the studio

• Thread starter Valp
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Valp

Reaction score
Hello, first post and looking for advice.

We have a range of amps at our studio for bands that don't have a good backline. We have a Fender deluxe reverb, Bad Cat Cub, Vox AC30 and Mesa Dual Rectifier. From these we can get a pretty broad range of tone but still there's something missing.

I'd like to add an old Marshall to complete the line-up. I was wondering if I could get some advice from guys that do a lot of studio gig and think of which amp would be the most versatile (and the best value) for studio use.

From limited experience I think we could use a JCM800 2203 or 2204 and probably a JMP 1959 early 70s, but I'm looking forward to have more opinions.

SoloDallas

Reaction score
Hi Valp, and welcome here.

Well, with the premise that I have all of those amps and some more (Marshall) I have to ask you if you guys have live rooms big enough (or that can be setup to withold) the pressure if true Marshall 100 watters.
The discussion - with 100 watters - will most likely run around this.
I use attenuators, that can be set at various degrees of db attenuation, still retaining some speaker movement (recommended).

But anyway, imagining that you guys have this matter already sorted (room-wise), I would go for 1968-1980 JMPs 1959 and one MV JMP (1976-1979) either a 2203 or 2204.

Axis

Reaction score
1987 and 1959 for classic rock/blues stuff (possibly a DSL)
I would probably go for a JVM for high gain stuff.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
Hi Valp, and welcome here.

Well, with the premise that I have all of those amps and some more (Marshall) I have to ask you if you guys have live rooms big enough (or that can be setup to withold) the pressure if true Marshall 100 watters.

a master volume model would sort this...or use distortion pedal...usually in a band situation there is a pretty nice speaker breakup

Latest posts