• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Vintage Modern, what tubes are what? Trying to find the "extra tube"

• Thread starter shredless
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shredless

Reaction score
So I understand that the HDR adds another 12ax7 to the mix
which tube is this?

Im assuming v4 is PI, and its not v1.... so is it v2 or v3?

My problem with the amp is LDR sounds stellar....I love the tone, but Im looking for a little more gain. However when I turn on HDR, the tone sucks
it becomes raspy and annoying.

Id like to roll that tube and see what I can do to remedy the situation

anyone know which one it is

shredless

Reaction score
found it, finally

V1a - Detail side of input stage
V1b - Body side of input stage

V2 - HDR gain stage (both sides are paralleled). Not used in LDR.

V3 - Final gain stage and cathode follower (for the tone stack)

V4 - Phase Inverter

BowerR64

Reaction score
Let me know what you decide to do to get more gain out of it, i like mine set at about 9:00 on both detail and body anything over that sounds weird.

When i bought mine the guy had a weber power soak and a jet city one and i tried it threw both of them cranked the master up to about 1:00 and that sounded really good which is why i bought it.

I havnt had the money yet to buy one yet though.

The amp i had before the vintage modern was a bugera 1960 and it used this cheap effects loop volume control box the previous owner bought. I was able to crank the masters up to 1-2:00 using that little box which lowered the send and return level that worked a little not quite ast good as the power soak though.

Grogshla

Reaction score
have u considered using a overdrive pedal? LOL much simpler than mucking around with tubes.

BowerR64

Reaction score
have u considered using a overdrive pedal? LOL much simpler than mucking around with tubes.

I have tried an older tube screamer but it didnt seem to improve mine much. Maybe i should give it another run.

I still think a power soak would sound better. Maybe both