Vintage Modern

• Thread starter dax_the_ax
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dax_the_ax

Reaction score
I'm new to the form, hello everybody I just picked up this sweet deal for $550 at a pawnshop, purple hundred watt what do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 40

BowerR64

Reaction score
$550. is a heck of a deal!

try the LD (low dynamic) mode with detail at 3:00 and body at 12:00 thats my favorite setting. Add a TS to the front for a little more dirt you can kick in and out.

dax_the_ax

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I know these didn't get a lot of hype, but I love the KT66 setup and fourth tube. Kind of like an SLX with reverb. I just wish I could go from nice clean to killer overdrive with the foot pedal.

thunderkyss

Reaction score
Great score. As far as not getting a lot of hype, I think it was more about timing. Right after the Vintage Modern, they came out with a bunch of stuff that kinda took attention away... the RR, Kerry King, AFD.. & they just kept coming & cim8ng.

But I think the Vintage Modern is definitely one of the better amps they've put out ever...

Sournote

Reaction score
Congrats, The VM was an amp I really would have liked to see if I got along with. The DSL40 didn't do it for me and I don't have the budget for the higher end Marshall heads.

If Vintage Moderns were commonly available around that price I'd almost certainly have one, despite the fact that even 50 watts is overkill for me, but around hear they sell closer to $800.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I know these didn't get a lot of hype, but I love the KT66 setup and fourth tube. Kind of like an SLX with reverb. I just wish I could go from nice clean to killer overdrive with the foot pedal.

Congrats on a smoking deal!

Please remember that the VM is a one channel amp.

The way to get clean on a VM is the same way you used to do it with a JCM800... back off your guitar volume. :yesway:

The Low dynamic range is not a clean channel. It's a JTM circuit.

If you would like to have a clean channel (or whatever other channel you may need) use a multi FX in the loop. Program whatever pre-amp on your fx unit and use the loop to get to the power section. See picture below.

six%20cable_zpsfswdydkh.jpg

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Great deal on a great amp. I'm going to bite the bullet and sell my JCM2000 DSL100.....My 2466 has put it out of business and I just don't use it anymore. :shrug:

67mike

Reaction score
Great deal on a great amp. I'm going to bite the bullet and sell my JCM2000 DSL100.....My 2466 has put it out of business and I just don't use it anymore. :shrug:

Really, the vm is that much better than a jcm2000 dsl????

Joe2000

Reaction score
Better is way too subjective for form a conclusion. The amp might not be your cup of tea.

But maybe better means 'feels more like an older marshall'(which people associate with 'betterness') :)

67mike

Reaction score
Better is way too subjective for form a conclusion. The amp might not be your cup of tea.

But maybe better means 'feels more like an older marshall'(which people associate with 'betterness') :)

Is teh Vintage Modern worth buying if you already have a JCM 2000 DSL 100 watter? I guess that would be a better question.

Joe2000

Reaction score
Is teh Vintage Modern worth buying if you already have a JCM 2000 DSL 100 watter? I guess that would be a better question.

For sure! The DSL is spawned of the Plexi>JCM800>DSL range.

The Vintage Modern is JTM45>Vintage Modern.

So they are different DNA and compliment each other well. You'd pretty much cover most historical Marshall sounds if you had those two amps. Maybe except for a Jubilee.

But I think you really gotta play it before hand if possible as some people cant get along with the KT66's. They find them 'flubby' or lacking tightness compared to EL34 Marshalls.

Also, depends what kind of music you play. But if you like 60's, 70's and some early 80's classic rock then its a great amp.

They sound good through greenbacks and V30's(IMO).

67mike

Reaction score
For sure! The DSL is spawned of the Plexi>JCM800>DSL range.

The Vintage Modern is JTM45>Vintage Modern.

So they are different DNA and compliment each other well. You'd pretty much cover most historical Marshall sounds if you had those two amps. Maybe except for a Jubilee
But I think you really gotta play it before hand if possible as some people cant get along with the KT66's. They find them 'flubby' or lacking tightness compared to EL34 Marshalls.

Also, depends what kind of music you play. But if you like 60's, 70's and some early 80's classic rock then its a great amp.

They sound good through greenbacks and V30's(IMO).

Can you get by with g12t75s????

Joe2000

Reaction score
Can you get by with g12t75s????

I think now we can start using the word 'better' :).

I didn't like them with the vintage modern. IMO the G12T75 are better suited for modern sounding amps. Although I dont use them with my DSL, I think they do sound good with DSL's (and JVMs').

But its not really the right speaker for the vintage modern. It wont sound bad, but I dont think you'd be getting the best out of the amp.

jack daniels

Reaction score
I think now we can start using the word 'better' :).

I didn't like them with the vintage modern. IMO the G12T75 are better suited for modern sounding amps. Although I dont use them with my DSL, I think they do sound good with DSL's (and JVMs').

But its not really the right speaker for the vintage modern. It wont sound bad, but I dont think you'd be getting the best out of the amp.

Gary Moore used G12T-75's with his DSL's. A lot of guys that have these speakers prefer the early 90's versions (or even earlier). Many will say that the G12T-75's are "scooped" however my early 90's quad are not that way at all.

Latest posts