Vintage Sound City 4x10 ?

mr_tornado_head

Reaction score
I am contemplating the purchase of an old Sound City 4x10 (L80). This one has the Alnico Eminence speakers. But I'm going to use it as a player, not a collector.

Has anyone here played through this cabinet? Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the price and whether or not you like 10" speakers. I bought a Marshall 1965 recently because I saw so many great reviews of it, but I was disappointed and returned it. In hindsight, I wish I'd kept it and converted it to a 212.

mr_tornado_head

Reaction score
I'll add: tried several times with the Marshall 1965 and love the concept, but the sound wasn't quite there. My Peavey Classic 410E, however, sounds pretty damn good with my amps.

Amp - Super Crush 100, Hiwatt Leeds 50, Bogner Ecstasy.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll add: tried several times with the Marshall 1965 and love the concept, but the sound wasn't quite there. My Peavey Classic 410E, however, sounds pretty damn good with my amps.

Amp - Super Crush 100, Hiwatt Leeds 50, Bogner Ecstasy.
I'm only just learning that all cabs are not created equal and I'm learning it the hard way, lol..

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating the purchase of an old Sound City 4x10 (L80). This one has the Alnico Eminence speakers. But I'm going to use it as a player, not a collector.

Has anyone here played through this cabinet? Thoughts?
Got pics or any more info on the speakers?
The thing that would worry me the most is needing a matching Sound City amp... :rofl:

mr_tornado_head

Reaction score
Got pics or any more info on the speakers?
The thing that would worry me the most is needing a matching Sound City amp... :rofl:
Years ago l had one of the 120s... Holy Wa, that thing could get LOUD! Yeah, no need at this time to replace it. 😂

mr_tornado_head

Reaction score
Trying to scale the photos down, this is the next thing -

There's about 5 photos, should you a hint.

mr_tornado_head

Reaction score
No, not quite close enough to try. The seller is traveling through Columbus on Sunday and he can bring it down, but I won't be able to play it beforehand.

I think I'm going to pass. I don't want to buy it, not like it, have to buy more speakers, and so on.

Latest posts