vs8080 only working when standing on the side?

mats

Reaction score
I just got a vs8080 and it has got the weirdest problem I have ever seen. When placed upright the diods that indicate which channel is being used start to flicker after a while and simultaneuously the sound goes on and off. Here's the weird part..... when i place the amp on the side, it works again as normal. I have changed valve and fuse but problem remains. Anyone has seen this before or have a clue what could be the problem?

Adieu

Reaction score
Something's loose

Gravity is making it looser upright and/or reseating it on its side

Check jacks pots grounds power switch etc. Look for loose connections. Does it have ribbon cables i forget? Check if those are seated properly. Etc

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I just got a vs8080 and it has got the weirdest problem I have ever seen. When placed upright the diods that indicate which channel is being used start to flicker after a while and simultaneuously the sound goes on and off. Here's the weird part..... when i place the amp on the side, it works again as normal. I have changed valve and fuse but problem remains. Anyone has seen this before or have a clue what could be the problem?

A loose solder connection, a corroded connection, a loose part that broke on the circuit board...
Happens all the time.
Nope, it's not really unusual at all.
Probably 1/2 the amps fixed out there are broken connections from transporting, etc...

South Park

Reaction score
I had had the some thing with my 2204 clone when I put the stand offs on the circuit board . It only worked upside down . So it has no stand offs . Something with the magnetic field is not right

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I've had the same with early Playstations too.
Only worked upside down after a while.

A mate had a VCR that someone over watered a plant on?!
He dried it out, and it still worked each time he used it, but only after he'd picked it up and walked round the room twice!