Wall hangars?

• Thread starter Blisster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blisster

Reaction score
I think I need to get some wall hangars to get some of the stands out of my den and keep some of my axes safe and easily accessible. Can anybody recommend what hangars they use? I want something that looks good but that is also nice and stable and will be sturdy mounted on the lathe and plaster walls in my den.
Thanks!
:hippie::headbanger:

brp

Reaction score
I use some Dixon ones cuz they're cheap yet adequately tough for my use.

dix-ssg10-nat.jpg

!B9NWQ!!CWk~$%28KGrHqR,!jIEzNsft5FRBM5G1I%29ES!~~_35.JPG
mine are like this but not with the yellow llogo, mine have gold logo.

6sm.jpg

3sm.jpg

Only one screw, although I replaced the ones that came with them with longer ones. Gotta be sure to hit some studs!

midgo

Reaction score
I use some hangers from the hercules company, very sturdy, and they have arms that come down with the weight of the guitar which locks it in nicely.

By the way brp, your man land is rad!!!

kamran

Reaction score
+1 on the hercules hangers. i have 4 on my wall and 3 more ready to go up.
brp- have you checked if those hangers are nitro friendly? i know a lot of cheaper guitar stands use rubber that can wear down nitro finishes pretty badly, and you've got some nice axes on the wall.

Razzle

Reaction score
Yea I love the hercules slat wall hangers... besides the locking arms, they allow you to adjust the angle (yoke) of the guitar, and you can slide them along a slat board (be sure to use a sturdy one) to get a lot of guitars in a tight space.

Adwex

Reaction score
Hercules

30bcutf.jpg

33c6wz9.jpg

When you place the guitar in the hanger, the weight of the guitar pulls the mechanism down and these little "arms" swing out like a gate, preventing the guitar from falling out.

brp

Reaction score
Thanks guys. (link to more pics in my sig for those interested)

For one thing, there are many reports on the net of people using hangers that specifically claim to not damage nitro finish and yet they have anyway (yellowed binding where hanger makes contact etc.).
These people reporting this say that they called the company to complain and the company said "not the hanger's fault, your finish was not properly cured", so I don't know how much stock i'd put in those claims of "finish friendly hangers".

The only one that really concerns me is the white LP and I've been meaning to wrap some cotton around the hangers just to be on the safe side. I should get on that. No sign of problems so far and it's been on the hanger for a year, for the record.

The Hercules seems like overkill FOR ME at 3 times the price, but if you're concerned and want maximum security from accidental falling out of the hanger as well as the nifty angling ability, they seem great. And better safe than sorry I guess.

jammattjam

Reaction score
I use some Dixon ones cuz they're cheap yet adequately tough for my use.

dix-ssg10-nat.jpg

!B9NWQ!!CWk~$%28KGrHqR,!jIEzNsft5FRBM5G1I%29ES!~~_35.JPG
mine are like this but not with the yellow llogo, mine have gold logo.

6sm.jpg

3sm.jpg

Only one screw, although I replaced the ones that came with them with longer ones. Gotta be sure to hit some studs!

im coming over to jam

rjohns1

Reaction score
I use rubber coated tool hooks from Lowes or Home Depot. They are for hanging tools in the shed, but work great for guitars. And, they are around $5 each.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
Are the wall hangars actually okay for your guitar? I heard they could do some long term damage to maybe the neck or wherever.

LibertyMachine

Reaction score
Hercules

30bcutf.jpg

33c6wz9.jpg

When you place the guitar in the hanger, the weight of the guitar pulls the mechanism down and these little "arms" swing out like a gate, preventing the guitar from falling out.

Oh man......that Goldtop is so sweet.....yeah, I was watchin' your vids, waiting for a close up......but the camera wouldn't zoom in on ya.
What's the specs on this beauty, Adwex?
Yeah.....your Sabbath cover is my fave vid....good stuff,man.

Reaction score
Has anyone else here tried out Grip Studios the one that is a guitar holder in the shape of a hand? I have one of those and have for a bit and it works really well and is pretty cool looking haha

ToneZone100

Reaction score
+1 for the Hercules. I had three but have gone over to a 7 guitar rack now. I'd sell you mine mate but the postage to USA would make it uneconomic.

With regards to the "don't they damage the guitars" arguement, the tension in the strings is enough to keep anything from pulling/ falling apart. I had mine on hangars for the last 3 years with no ill effects. Music stores store guitars on them so I really can't see them doing this if there was any chance of them being damaged. I think the only problem with ANY hanger or stand is if you have nitro cellulose laquer as the foam/polypropelene protection sometimes reacts with the laquer apparently.

ToneZone100

Reaction score
I want something that looks good but that is also nice and stable and will be sturdy mounted on the lathe and plaster walls in my den.
Thanks!
:hippie::headbanger:

Eww! I think you would need to find a beam or part of the stud wall to fix it to. I had mine drilled into a solid wall using wall plugs. Are your walls actually lathe and plaster or plaster boarded? I'm not sure what contruction methods they commonly used in the USA but we generally only have lathe and plaster walls in the older houses. I'm not sure what you could use to anchor one of these to lather and plaster walls. They have 3 screws to attach them and they all really need secure fixings to hold the weight continuosly.

CaptainZero

Reaction score
Eww! I think you would need to find a beam or part of the stud wall to fix it to. I had mine drilled into a solid wall using wall plugs. Are your walls actually lathe and plaster or plaster boarded? I'm not sure what contruction methods they commonly used in the USA but we generally only have lathe and plaster walls in the older houses. I'm not sure what you could use to anchor one of these to lather and plaster walls. They have 3 screws to attach them and they all really need secure fixings to hold the weight continuosly.

The older houses in the US have lathe and plaster. It is still over a stud wall, so you may need longer screws, but you can still attach to a stud. There will usually be a stud on one side of an electrical outlet because the box is nailed to one, so use a small drill bit to try to find one. Ours are either 24" on center or 16", not sure on that for you though.

Blisster

Reaction score

yeah, my house was built in 1938, so it is actually lathe and plaster, with some old knob and tube electircal still remaining as well.

Thanks fo rthe tip!

Latest posts