Want to buy a SC20H but....Effects Loop?

• Thread starter hifiman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hifiman

Reaction score
I bought and love my ST20H but was thinking of also adding a SC20H. What concerns me are the number of comments mostly in 2020 and 2021 about volume drop ands other issues when the SC20 Effects Loop is engaged. Also read that Marshall was aware of the issue and fixing the problem under warranty. Again this was a couple years ago. Does anyone know if the SC20H issue has been corrected with later Mfg dates? I use the Effects Loop all the time and do not want to buy a head if it has a known issue. Thanks

PelliX

Reaction score
Do you reach around to the back of your amp mid song to toggle your loop on and off?

That is the only way this is an issue. The only way.

So I thought, but there's another one - read on :)

Also read that Marshall was aware of the issue and fixing the problem under warranty.

Yes, I also have the service bulletin including the parts that get changed (just a couple of resistors OTOH), if you're so inclined it's really quite easy. I can gladly share the info, no problem.

Does anyone know if the SC20H issue has been corrected with later Mfg dates?

Yes, the 'loop level being lower' issue was addressed in later revisions of the board. I'd have to dig on the forum here, but I spoke to a bloke who had a 'fixed' one, new in box, no signs of post production solderwork.

I use the Effects Loop all the time and do not want to buy a head if it has a known issue.

If the volume level is your only concern, as @tallcoolone said - who cares. Set the volume as desired and go for it. Also, the volume *difference* diminishes the more you ramp up the master.

Now, there is another issue, and that's the lack of a proper buffer when using unbuffered effects - toggle a true bypass pedal in the loop and it will pop loudly in some cases. There are relatively easy fixes for this (including just using a damn buffer or buffered pedal externally ;) ). Rack gear in the loop is practically never a problem. Put in a Fuzz Face and ... yeah, ugh.

Apart from that the loop works just fine.

Calebz

Reaction score
The effects loop is only switchable with the little button on the back. If you actually use the loop, there is no reason to ever disengage it, especially in a live setting.

Unless of course part of your stage show is dicking around with the rear panel of your amp in the dark in the middle of a set. In that case, I can see how the loop could give one cause for concern.

LCW

Reaction score
Yes, I also have the service bulletin including the parts that get changed (just a couple of resistors OTOH), if you're so inclined it's really quite easy. I can gladly share the info,

Yes please. PM if you’re not wanting to share in this thread.

PelliX

Reaction score
Unless of course part of your stage show is dicking around with the rear panel of your amp in the dark in the middle of a set. In that case, I can see how the loop could give one cause for concern.

Read my post; depending on what you run in the loop, there *could* be a problem. Nothing that can't be resolved by using a proper buffer though.

Yes please. PM if you’re not wanting to share in this thread.

fx_loop_fix1.png

fx_loop_fix2.png

I'm under no contractual obligations to keep this information private, so have fun. :)

Calebz

Reaction score
Read my post; depending on what you run in the loop, there *could* be a problem. Nothing that can't be resolved by using a proper buffer though.

View attachment 138444

View attachment 138445

I'm under no contractual obligations to keep this information private, so have fun. :)
We posted at the same time. I was really only addressing the volume 'issue'. I'll happily leave everything beyond that to your expertise🙂

PelliX

Reaction score
We posted at the same time. I was really only addressing the volume 'issue'. I'll happily leave everything beyond that to your expertise🙂

Ah, sorry, mate! Even if it had have been chronological, I think I came over a bit blunt. All good, no offense! :cheers:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my SC20 in January 2019, right after they came out at NAMM. I use chorus, delay, eq pedal, all in the loop, and a looper.

I set the button on the back panel to activate the loop, and it’s been on ever since.

There’s no reason to turn it off, it’s not manufactured to be switched on and off while performing, there no footswitch, sooo.

The slight loss of volume only occurs at low volumes, by 4 or so on the master, it’s gone. For me being an at home player, it works, it’s an advantage, it’s like a little attenuation.

Last edited:

adam183

Reaction score
out of curiousity at what time in production did this issue come factory revised?
thanks

Kutt

Reaction score
out of curiousity at what time in production did this issue come factory revised?
thanks
As far as I've seen it was never corrected at the factory. The fix can be implemented upon request of the customer with an authorized repair center.

Or, of course, you can fix it yourself if you're so inclined.

LargeBoxSmallBox

Reaction score
I bought and love my ST20H but was thinking of also adding a SC20H. What concerns me are the number of comments mostly in 2020 and 2021 about volume drop ands other issues when the SC20 Effects Loop is engaged. Also read that Marshall was aware of the issue and fixing the problem under warranty. Again this was a couple years ago. Does anyone know if the SC20H issue has been corrected with later Mfg dates? I use the Effects Loop all the time and do not want to buy a head if it has a known issue. Thanks
If you're thinking of getting an SC20H, don't hesitate, forget the loop thing and just get it. You will not regret it. Great amp! Mine was excellent with the stock Marshall-branded tubes, and got even better with NOS tubes. It stands up well with my vintage Marshall amps. To me, the amp is a keeper.