Weird Noises

• Thread starter usastrat1985
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

usastrat1985

Reaction score
I have a Marshall JCM2000 TSL602. It squeals with the gain on the lead channel turned more than 3. Also, when you start it up and take it off standby it makes crackling/popping noises. It is not a microphonic tube. I have tapped all of them and they made no noises. Any ideas? Thanks.

Trick

Reaction score
Sounds like a preamp tube. Try switching them around or if you have a spare replace them one at a time. As far as that popping is concerned, that can be normal on some amps regardless of brand. You might have a capacitor that has gone out of spec in that part of the circuit that may cause that popping if it wasn't there before.

usastrat1985

Reaction score
is it normal for it to do it for several minutes? i don't know if it ever stops. also, i don't know much about amps, but how can switching tubes around fix the problem?

Trick

Reaction score
is it normal for it to do it for several minutes? i don't know if it ever stops. also, i don't know much about amps, but how can switching tubes around fix the problem?

As far as the popping goes it very well could be a bad power tube or a capacitor problem if it's a constant while the amp is on. The squeal on the other hand could be a preamp tube (the smaller ones) by swapping them out one at a time, you'll find the bad one if that's the issue. A preamp tube doesn't have to be microphonic to cause that squeal.

usastrat1985

Reaction score
well i know i had all the capacitors replaced. so how do i check if if a power tube is bad? also, do i need to get another preamp tube or can i just do like someone above said and switch each of the preamp tubes to a different slot? thanks.