What amp should I get next?

• Thread starter Maggot Brain
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neikeel

Reaction score
I am not sure what you have already
But I suggest something usable and flexible
Princeton RI
Marshall SV20 and matching SV212
would both be on my consideration list

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
If 1500 makes the difference between success and failure, there’s a problem.

May as well be happy till the failure.
Rick I gotta agree. He didn't say he wanted to spend all his savings on toys.
We don't even have kids to leave anything to so no point having too much $ sitting around.
At the end, he with the most toys wins! :D

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
First of all do buy an amp!
and my recommendation is the ENGL Fireball 100!
It can do plexi style gain to crazy metal gain.
The clean channel is really really good as well.
go to 3:30

Last edited:

jchrisf

Reaction score
Get something you really want with a great resale value... then if you get tired of it, you can sell it and get something else you want.

But I do believe we are getting ready to hit a recession and I'm hoping things will come down in a year or so.. so I am waiting unless I see great deals.. I've already seen amps are not selling as quickly or for as much as they use to

ampeq

Reaction score
@Maggot Brain I ordered a Ceriatone about a month ago. I was told 37 weeks is the current wait time.
That's not as bad as I thought. Last I talked to Nik it was pushing a year. What model did you order? I do know the smaller amps like the 2202 and other 20w units take less time to get than the big ones do. I just got 2 100w units in, Chupa & KK, and the KK took a lot longer even though I ordered them at the same time.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Get something you really want with a great resale value... then if you get tired of it, you can sell it and get something else you want.

But I do believe we are getting ready to hit a recession and I'm hoping things will come down in a year or so.. so I am waiting unless I see great deals.. I've already seen amps are not selling as quickly or for as much as they use to
smart man. i would shit myself to buy a $1,500 amp today only to see the normal price a yr from now at $1,000
your pissed and your stuck with it. prices on gear just like everything else is soon to take a fall.
i dont buy high and sell low.

Glasellland

Reaction score
keep your money in your pocket. "a fool and his money shall soon part".
sell an amp to buy an amp. the economy is going to hell in a hand bag at the moment.
Sorry, the US economy is quite strong, the only issue is inflation, worse everywhere outside the US. There are currently two job openings available for every unemployed person (3.5% UER currently). There is ‘fear’ being stoked about a recession soon, coming from increased cost of borrowing instigated by the Fed raising interest rates to quell inflation, but that’s not a reality or even a near eventuality.

As to the new PRS HDRX 20, GET ONE NOW! I saw they were only $800 & found one in a shop 44 miles from me. I had cash from sale of an expensive vintage amp I wasn’t using and couldn’t resist this bargain. The Hendrix 20w amp totally delivers that clean, hollow, girth, hairy, smooth mellow Jimi tone. It‘s voiced very differently from my Ceriatone 2061 Lead & Bass, even though that amp is a kind of Plexi. The PRS doesn’t look as cool as Nik’s builds (the dorky signature doesn’t read graphically at all) but it’s well worth the $850 I paid with tax.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Sorry, the US economy is quite strong, the only issue is inflation, worse everywhere outside the US. There are currently two job openings available for every unemployed person (3.5% UER currently). There is ‘fear’ being stoked about a recession soon, coming from increased cost of borrowing instigated by the Fed raising interest rates to quell inflation, but that’s not a reality or even a near eventuality.
yeah ok.
im not gonna ruin this thread by going into that.
everybody everywhere is feeling the crunch.
believe what you will.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not as bad as I thought. Last I talked to Nik it was pushing a year. What model did you order? I do know the smaller amps like the 2202 and other 20w units take less time to get than the big ones do. I just got 2 100w units in, Chupa & KK, and the KK took a lot longer even though I ordered them at the same time.

JCM 800 2204 model, with bright switch and buffered loop.

Wildeman

Reaction score
Didn't Jimi play a Supro Thunderbolt early on? Yeah, get one of those..

Bull Rock

Reaction score

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
yeah ok.
im not gonna ruin this thread by going into that.
everybody everywhere is feeling the crunch.
believe what you will.
Where are you located? There’s jobs everywhere, I’m in freaking West Virginia and even fast food places are paying at least 13-15 an hour, warehouses and security guard jobs are almost 20 an hour. Everyone is hiring. If you can find a job here it’s because you don’t want to work.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
smart man. i would shit myself to buy a $1,500 amp today only to see the normal price a yr from now at $1,000
your pissed and your stuck with it. prices on gear just like everything else is soon to take a fall.
i dont buy high and sell low.
They will fall. Some. My bet is more than a year. How far they fall? Who knows? My guess is never that low.
But you can enjoy the amp now and buy it because you want it not as an investment.
Personally I have never purchased any gear as an investment. If OP wants to and has the budget, who are we to advise him to not buy it at all?
If one waited for a 2203 to drop from like $1200 in 1983 they would still be waiting and miss out on 40 years of fun.
While the economy goes up and down, generally goods get more expensive long term.

I paid $1250 Cdn for my 25582x12 50 watt Jubilee in 1987. Did price go up and down since? Probably. Didn't look or care. 35 years later glad I have it. Saved money from today too.