What Amp Should I Go With?

• Thread starter Ghost
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
@OP: Congratulations on the impending NAD.

Someone here once said, "Buy once, cry once." If you get exactly what you want that will help you do what you need to do, then you'll probably be very happy with what you get and probably won't have to go through tons of other gear and spend more money.

Requesting pics when the amp arrives. Enjoy.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Splawn.....not to be negative...but had one...tried like hell to work with it......sold it. It was a competition 50 Head. Bottom line, every Marshall tube head I’ve had sounded better. I just picked up a 800 clone built by guitar rocker.....that thing blows the splawn competition away. The Splawn had something in the mids I could not dial out. Took it to my tech, swapped tubes...rebiased it a could of times. IT WAS subtle but it was there. The dirty sound just did not please me. It literally had nothing on my 2203X.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
Splawn.....not to be negative...but had one...tried like hell to work with it......sold it. It was a competition 50 Head. Bottom line, every Marshall tube head I’ve had sounded better. I just picked up a 800 clone built by guitar rocker.....that thing blows the splawn competition away. The Splawn had something in the mids I could not dial out. Took it to my tech, swapped tubes...rebiased it a could of times. IT WAS subtle but it was there. The dirty sound just did not please me. It literally had nothing on my 2203X.
I agree with all of that. I see why some people like them, but I don't get along with them very well.

chiliphil1

Reaction score

My exact experience. Scott splawn is a very nice guy, he helped me over email when I had a small problem with my nitro but I traded that head straight up for a 2203x and never had a second thought.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My exact experience. Scott splawn is a very nice guy, he helped me over email when I had a small problem with my nitro but I traded that head straight up for a 2203x and never had a second thought.

I'm still trying to get over you passing the 2203X Marshall on. I found it was your best tone. However ear tastebuds vary and I can't fault you for getting where you need to be.

Ghost

Reaction score
Scott told me over the phone that his 50W amps do not sound as good as his 100W amps.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott told me over the phone that his 50W amps do not sound as good as his 100W amps.

Have you got the amp yet? No I didn't start from beginning and I know you want this amp to work. Did Scott say why the 100 watter sounds better other than more headroom and bottom which is common...

Ghost

Reaction score
You guys are making me upset for buying this amp. First everybody's like "get the Splawn. Get the Splawn." I buy it, then everyone's like "Ehhh...Those Splawns...They're not that great."

Nitrobattery

Reaction score
You guys are making me upset for buying this amp. First everybody's like "get the Splawn. Get the Splawn." I buy it, then everyone's like "Ehhh...Those Splawns...They're not that great."

Depends on your tastes/style. The Quick Rod is possibly my favorite amp I've ever played.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
No one said that. Some of us said that they're not our cup of tea for our own personal tastes, but that doesn't make them not good.

Besides, we're not playing your amp. You only have to please yourself, not us.

Derek S

Reaction score
This is why I was asking on the previous page what the amp was mostly going to be used for - never saw an answer, left it alone...but IME, the QR is a killer high gain amp that just happens to not be as suited for lead playing as much as rhythm, at least the one I owned for several years was. I found it too stiff and dry when playing melody and lead to really let your playings personality come through enough. Let me put it another way, there are better options if you're stepping up front on stage and getting your melodic Satch on. Now if your crunchin' out Lay It Down type rhythm all night, the Splawn is fantastic. I simply got tired of experimenting with pedals and what not trying to add more sponge/chew factor (again, when playing single note stuff) that I had to sell it off because that is an important part of my playing and the Splawn was the least 'touch sensitive' amp I ever owned (by far). Too bad to, because yeah, the core tone itself is great. To be fair, I had a 2010 model - they may be totally different in feel now. Anyway, good luck, it's still a great amp with plenty of boo-teek vibe! 0.2c

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
I simply don't need it. I found the amps I really wanted before the Splawn got here. (They take 3 months) I bought a new Carvin V3 and a Marshall 410h which gives me everything I wanted, or will. The Splawn is neat, but I can do all the sounds it has as well. Splawn would not take it back, I ordered every option in it along with the 4-way foot switch and upgraded speaker. If your interested let me know, if it's a Streetrod you want you won't find a better one and it's ready to ship now.

flyinguitars

Reaction score
I’m into the same music/sound as is my son. We were checking out a used one at GC and it sounded great. Some guy was walking back and forth as we were jamming on it. My son put the guitar down and walked over to me in a different area of the store and we talked about buying it....it was used and a great price (can’t remember how much but it was a deal). So, i said “what the hell, let get it”....we walked back over to see it gone, and the stalker guy literally walking out the door after paying for it...haha

Latest posts