What Amp Should I Go With?

• Thread starter Ghost
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost

Reaction score
So you bought a demo that's already been made and you're upset about how it looks? Lol.
The deal was he was going to put it in a JCM800 style box for no upcharge. I told him I wanted it to look just like a JCM800, and he puts that grey basket weave grill cloth on it? He had to go out of his way to do that. It wasn't already on it. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Ghost

Reaction score
which really isn't that complicated
Anything above saying my ABCs is too complicated for me. I'm not a technical or mathematical person. My brain zones out the second someone starts talking about that kind of stuff.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
The deal was he was going to put it in a JCM800 style box for no upcharge. I told him I wanted it to look just like a JCM800, and he puts that grey basket weave grill cloth on it? He had to go out of his way to do that. It wasn't already on it. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Some 800s had that shit that turned brown, so just take it and live with it.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Anything above saying my ABCs is too complicated for me. I'm not a technical or mathematical person. My brain zones out the second someone starts talking about that kind of stuff.
Fair enough. If cab has stereo mono switch, run it mono and make sure impedance switch is set to 16 ohms. Do same with amp, impedance at 16. If set to stereo, cab is expecting 2 inputs, 2 speakers on each at 8 ohms per. So you can also run one side only in stereo at 8 ohms and get 2 speakers. Make sense?

Ghost

Reaction score
Okay, so here's my first impression of the amp:

Visually, these amps are eye-candy. They are beautiful, well-built amps. and the quality is obvious as soon as you unbox it. As for the sonic aspect of the amp, it is definitely a monster, especially when paired with the 1960a Marshall cab with GT12-75 speakers. It has an aggressive overdrive which, despite it having a great tone, is slightly difficult to dial at first. I went through all 3 gears, and I actually like the 1st gear the best. It just seems to scream more than the other two higher gain gears, and if you crank up the gain, it is just as saturated and "80s-metally" as the other two. Perhaps I need some more time jamming and experimenting with the amp, my guitars, pedals, and the knobs on the amp to really see what the other two gears can do, but I found them to be slightly duller and muddier on the bottom end, and slightly more thin and brittle on the highs than the 1st gear (almost like a half-chocked wah wah pedal). This could have been due to the old string on my guitar though. I had the amp set on half power all night and experimented with higher stage-level volumes as well as bedroom volumes. So far I love the amp, and I know I'm going to get a killer tone dialed with it.

The setting I arrived at for the tone I liked the best were as follows:

Presence: 2 o'clock
Bass: 1 o'clock
Middle: 11 o'clock
Treble: 2 o'clock
Gain: 3 o'clock
Mode: 1st gear

Latest posts