What are peoples views on orange amps?

• Thread starter Procter2812
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an AD30 single channel (Its a clone though), and It does have more mid range to it.
I run the head through my 1960 cab with 2 75s, and 2 V30s.

I like to play some stoner stuff. Sometimes I 'drop tune to X crap' (not really drop tune, but DOWN tune), and I enjoy it very much.
Put a big muff in front, and day-um.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
I really love the old Oranges, but don't have much love for the new ones. I've gotta play one of those thunder/rockerverbs. My favorite Orange is a early 70's OR-120 :dude:

impetus maximus

Reaction score
what defines stoner rock? every rock concert i've been to had a sweet aroma
iiXS2.gif

i like what Sabbath has done with Orange amps.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrUmO8PeLEA]Black Sabbath - Paranoid/Iron Man (Music Video) - YouTube[/ame]

Saw Clutch and Tim was using an Orange amp that sounded killer.
i've seen him use an Orange 2x12 with a Marshall that sounded awesome as well. :dude:

/max
fist.gif

newbies

Reaction score
I had a orange rocker 30, seriously a cool amp however it wasnt a marshall. As awesome as it was it still didnt have the tone i was chasing. The let down with that amp that affected a few people i know who also owned one was the lack of effects loop. Didnt bother me as I use effects outfront, but to some it would be a deal breaker!

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Moose Hut Studio - Amherst, VA 24521 - USA
I demo'd (not owned... because I demo'd) several Orange amps at GC and came away with the same impression as David. Harsh, edgy - have to crank to get anything other than a boxy tone and seemed to be a one-trick pony.

I need a variety of tones for the work I do. Maybe if they're broken in; maybe with the 'right' speakers; maybe with the 'right' pedals... but I was in the market and wanted to like them due to the hype. I want my amps to produce the sounds I need. I use pedals as effects only - including OD. Most of what I like is straight amp, and I just couldn't warm up to them.

Different stokes, maybe.

JayCM800

Reaction score
I've played some models (Rockerverbs, Thunderverbs). Always went in thinking "Orange is quality stuff, it's gonna be alright"...but nothing's like a Marshall. I like the looks of them. Very original and distinctive. But they're not for me!

acidvoodoo

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger and got me the new Dark Terror, should be here tuesday:dude:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvHukr9KQ3g]Orange Dark Terror Amplifier - YouTube[/ame]

word to mouth

Reaction score
Hi,

I play in a 3 piece alternative/indie rock band with a singer and i play a Rockerverb 50 MKII with an orange 2X12 cab since 3 years now and i can't think of anything else to replace it with. My approach on guitar is atmospheric chordal structure and/or punchy leads and riff so i need versatility and a warm darker sound.

The amp is loud as f@#$K live. The clean is not glassy but warm and clear with bells like overtones. The gain is from slightly overdriven, crunchy, heavy overdrive to saturated overdrive and more. BUT both channels don't sound like any other amp out there. They have their own identity.

*The gain channel do become fuzzy or "large" when the gain is at max for exemple but there is nothing a good overdrive or EQ won't fix.
In my case (50watt) for my band, i don't need an extra tight gain so it's fine with me but i do own a lovepedal overdrive to tight it up a bit when i go into leads.

With no mic I can overplay the drum at just about 7 on my clean channel. At practice it's always at 3 or 4 max on both channel.

It takes very well modulator pedals on both channel and it's extremely rugged and reliable.

The amp look simple but each knob has a very wide range. So from let say for exemple from 6 or 7 on the knob, there is a very big change whether your turning the gain, treble,mid or base. You have to tweak the amp. The knobs are big so they looks like the set up is simple but no it's more complex then it looks if you want a great tone and clarity.

The only thing which i don't dislike but notice is that the amp (or maybe its my set amp/cab) but the amp has a natural heavy bottom end. Even if the base is roll off. I like it but my bass player doesn't :D

Examples of different orange amp player;

Omar Rodriguez ( The mars Volta, Bosnian Rainbow) has and is using orange through out he's career and he's a pretty versatile player.
He sound a bit Vintage prog maybe but definitely not stoner rock...

Jim Root ( slipknot) uses orange as well and has a wicked tone and clarity within a metal band.

Madonna's guitar player Monte Pitman and herself have been using stacks of orange amps live. You can't beat versatility when you gig for Madonna!!

Tree different players, tree different styles and tree different set up...

My story about Orange amp.

Enjoy!

Valvelust

Reaction score
what defines stoner rock? every rock concert i've been to had a sweet aroma
iiXS2.gif

i like what Sabbath has done with Orange amps.
Black Sabbath - Paranoid/Iron Man (Music Video) - YouTube

Saw Clutch and Tim was using an Orange amp that sounded killer.
i've seen him use an Orange 2x12 with a Marshall that sounded awesome as well. :dude:

/max
fist.gif

haha...Sabbath didn't really do anything at ALL with Orange amps, they used Laney's! The Orange you see there was stage performances from the Beat Club who endorsed Orange!

Deatharmonic

Reaction score
Well I have a orange TH30, with 2x12 celestion V30, I need a really good clean sound, i wasnt sure about the clean cause the demos in the internet all sucks so much =), but I hv to tell, that clean is amazing (using my hall of fame reverb), it really pwns my fender reverb delux away, u just need to know how to use the amp correctly, and many people dont know. when u turn up the volum fender starts to become a little bit dirty compared to orange, really happy with it = D