What can you tell me about these tubes in my 1987? 6CA7 / EL34.

• Thread starter TheOtherEric
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherEric

Reaction score
My '73 1987 came with these tubes, which are only labeled: 6CA7 EL34 USA. I don't have any experience with 6CA7/EL34 tubes, so I could use some guidance as to what I have and what folks generally think of their quality. I also don't understand the meaning of the 23.0 and 23.5 markings.

The amp is totally stock, and sounds really good. I have them biased at around 63% dissipation. IMG_8163.jpg

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '73 1987 came with these tubes, which are only labeled: 6CA7 EL34 USA. I don't have any experience with 6CA7/EL34 tubes, so I could use some guidance as to what I have and what folks generally think of their quality. I also don't understand the meaning of the 23.0 and 23.5 markings.

The amp is totally stock, and sounds really good. I have them biased at around 63% dissipation. View attachment 113979
To the best of my limited knowledge, the current production 6CA7 is equivalent to, but slightly different than the EL34.
At certain points in time, certain manufacturers called them the same thing - like the dual label on those.
They are interchangeable in most amps, and those tubes "look" more like 6CA7 than EL34 to me.

Here's some descriptions from JJ:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Eddie Van Halen preferred those tubes in his Marshalls. Sylvania dual getter 6CA7s. The numbers are a reference for when they were matched by current draw. If they're still good running tubes, use them. They're very prized.

TheOtherEric

Reaction score
Those are the real deal Sylvania USA 6CA7's
Those are currently selling for about $500 a pair!!!
Whoa. Guess I gotta research that now, because that would be an attractive price.

Eddie Van Halen preferred those tubes in his Marshalls. Sylvania dual getter 6CA7s. The numbers are a reference for when they were matched by current draw. If they're still good running tubes, use them. They're very prized.
Well, this amp gets me the best EVH tone I’ve ever gotten from many attempts, so maybe that’s not too surprising!

Guess I really got lucky.

yladrd61

Reaction score
I pulled the original quad out of my Music Man HD 130 and they were still operational after running at over 700 V b+ for over 40 years.

Latest posts