What Do You Push Your Dsl20 With?

• Thread starter Shreddy Krueger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shreddy Krueger

Reaction score
Just like it says on the tin: what do you use to push your DSL 20?

Mine gets kicked in the front end of the red channel with a Wampler Tumnus, a Ghoul Jr., and a Black Country Customs TI Boost. I can cover a whole lot of territory with those three. Tempted for some kind of an EP boost, maybe Xotic or Dunlop, just to fatten things up for Zep and 70s rock.

I still haven't found a way of getting Hendrix chewy clean tones out of this amp, but maybe I should be looking at the Studio Classic to take me there with the low input and some single coil vol roll off.

Last edited:

Armando

Reaction score
I push the green channel with this variety:
Way Huge Havalina Fuzz, Friedman Be-Od, Wampler Tumnus deluxe and Mad Professor Ruby red booster.
I love any of them. And I cover a wide variety of sounds.
In the red channel I only use the Friedman Be-Od as a booster.

Shreddy Krueger

Reaction score
I push the green channel with this variety:
Way Huge Havalina Fuzz, Friedman Be-Od, Wampler Tumnus deluxe and Mad Professor Ruby red booster.
I love any of them. And I cover a wide variety of sounds.
In the red channel I only use the Friedman Be-Od as a booster.
How does the BE OD sound and feel on the red channel? I'm not a fan of the green on the 20, way too bright and brittle for my tastes, but interested in how the red channel responds to high gain dirt pedals.

Armando

Reaction score
How does the BE OD sound and feel on the red channel? I'm not a fan of the green on the 20, way too bright and brittle for my tastes, but interested in how the red channel responds to high gain dirt pedals.

The Friedman in the red channel pushes it like a booster and gives it a little bit of color but it respects the character of the amplifier a lot, normally I use the red channel with the gain at 6 o'clock and the gain of the friedman also at 6 o'clock maximum. Normally at 4,5.

That shine of more you remove it with a good change of valves and speaker, I adore the green channel now even in total clean. And for blues the green with the Tumnus it is spectacular.

Shreddy Krueger

Reaction score
The Friedman in the red channel pushes it like a booster and gives it a little bit of color but it respects the character of the amplifier a lot, normally I use the red channel with the gain at 6 o'clock and the gain of the friedman also at 6 o'clock maximum. Normally at 4,5.

That shine of more you remove it with a good change of valves and speaker, I adore the green channel now even in total clean. And for blues the green with the Tumnus it is spectacular.
Thanks man, any advice on replacement tubes to warm up the green channel? It's practically unusable for my tastes at the minute, but honestly, the red more than makes up for it with character and gain. I should state that I'm using the head version into a 2x12 with Vintage 30s. Home playing only, so I rarely push the master beyond 9-10 o'clock on 20w mode (which is still pretty loud).

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score

Can you show us a picture of your gain knob in the 6 o'clock position? :coffee:

Antmax

Reaction score
I use one of those Mullard 12AX7 reissues and that did a good job or warming mine up and giving it some body in the clean channel. PI changes things a little too. I'm not really settled on that yet. Got the Original Marshall JJ that was in V1 in V2 now and a Mullard CV4004 reissue in the PI.

Segeborn did a pretty good preamp tube roundup that covers quite a lot of ground where different 12ax7 compatible tubes are concerned.

There's also a good comparrison chart that compares lows, mids, highs, gain and microphonics between different tube brands at:

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech-corner/12ax7-comparison-current-made-tubes

I have an old Hardwire CM-2 up front. A transperent tube screamer type OD with seperate low and high knobs and a modern/classic tone toggle switch. Works well and lets you thicken up the tone a lot if you want. Also a Suhr riot distortion that plays great in the clean channel. I don't use a lot of pedals, but I also have a Hardwire RV-7 in the loop which also thickens the clean channel nicely if you turn up the level to about 10 o'clock and has a really nice Spring reverb for more traditional clean playing.

Last edited:

Armando

Reaction score
Thanks man, any advice on replacement tubes to warm up the green channel? It's practically unusable for my tastes at the minute, but honestly, the red more than makes up for it with character and gain. I should state that I'm using the head version into a 2x12 with Vintage 30s. Home playing only, so I rarely push the master beyond 9-10 o'clock on 20w mode (which is still pretty loud).
I use Vintage 30 too.
V1 TAD RT010 Tube 7025 High grade.
V2 Mullard Reissue 12AX7
V3 Ruby 12AX7 AC5 HG
2 TAD EL34B-STR
The winning combinación.

Latest posts