What is the historical timeline for Gibson pickups?

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Can anyone here provide a list of Gibson pickups over the years AND approx. what years they shipped, particularly in Les Pauls?

It gets confusing with all the 490's, 57 Classics, Burstbuckers 1, 2, 3, Pro (61?), Custombuckers, a Tim Shaw way back somewhere...

Tanx.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate that the models aren't consistent. I have a set of 490s that came in my Tribute (which I love) that are not the same as normal 490s. I bought a set of 61s that came out of a 2014 studio that only after the fact I learned that they are not the same as the Burstbucker 61s that came in my 2020 Standard which I love, and now they have changed the name of the Burstbucker 61s to 60s humbuckers or something like that. I give up, I'm done with Gibson pickups. I was only barely starting to like them anyway.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate that the models aren't consistent. I have a set of 490s that came in my Tribute (which I love) that are not the same as normal 490s. I bought a set of 61s that came out of a 2014 studio that only after the fact I learned that they are not the same as the Burstbucker 61s that came in my 2020 Standard which I love, and now they have changed the name of the Burstbucker 61s to 60s humbuckers or something like that. I give up, I'm done with Gibson pickups. I was only barely starting to like them anyway.
As far as pickup consistency, I can say that I burned the original 57 Classic Plus bridge pickup in my 2010 Traditional when I was taking the covers off, and bought a new one at my local shop without the cover. I can't say I ever noticed a difference in the tone. My guess is that each model of pickup is going to be pretty close, because they're all done by machine - they just set up the materials, press the "GO" button, and they all come out pretty much to the same specs.

What's up with the 490s? I have them in a Les Paul, and a Flying V and I like 'em. Some people say they're muddy, but I don't hear that in my guitars. I don't know if there's a 496R? If there is, I'd like to know how that sounds compared.

My two favorite sets of Gibson pickups are:
CustomBuckers - old Les Paul tone, slightly open and airy. Not for metal
490R / 498T - ballsy late 70's Les Paul + Marshall amp tones

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
.What's up with the 490s? I have them in a Les Paul, and a Flying V and I like 'em. Some people say they're muddy, but I don't hear that in my guitars. I don't know if there's a 496R? If there is, I'd like to know how that sounds compared.

490R is pure muddy dog shit. That is the only stock pickup that was pulled out or necessity rather than experimental choice. 490 in a thin hog slab like the SG… in the bridge? Maybe but the LP neck is atrocious. The 498T OTOH was great.

496/500 was a decent V combo. As for the 490/498, it was the standard for post-Shaw LPs from the late-‘80s through the ‘00s… mostly tracking the Henry J trajectory before they started getting exotic with all the choices and historics in the late-00s, going forward.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score

just as a head's up - you could have copy/pasted the text, in the TOC & the forum would make all the times clickable:

0:08 - Intro
0:16 - Brief history of the Gibson humbucker
2:40 - Pickup Shop Collection Breakdown
3:59 - 57 Classic (and variants)
7:17 - Burstbucker Breakdown BB1, 2, 3, Pro and 60's
13:00 - Greeny Explained
14:08 - T Type
15:28 - Dirty Fingers/70's Tribute
17:52 - 490R/498T
20:30 - 496R/500T
22:36 - Custombucker
24:38 - Wrap Up

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I heard that Gibson aftermarket pick-ups are not wax potted, unlike the ones that come stock in their guitars.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
My two favorite sets of Gibson pickups are:
CustomBuckers - old Les Paul tone, slightly open and airy. Not for metal
490R / 498T - ballsy late 70's Les Paul + Marshall amp tones
Sorry no help on the timeline but I agree with this, although I’ve never played a vintage T-Top. The new Custombuckers are amazeballs

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry no help on the timeline but I agree with this, although I’ve never played a vintage T-Top. The new Custombuckers are amazeballs
"New" CustomBuckers? Is there a newer version since 2013? If there is, I'd like to know the difference. They came stock on my 2013 R9, which was first year for CB's among other changes for that year (e.g., no more truss rod condom, alanine dye on the back and sides, etc.).

What do you personally like about CB's? I like their airy-ness and wide range of versatility. My R9 lacks a little low-end and favors top-end bite - an observation, not a complaint. In a live mix, that equals a great LP tone that cuts through a live mix. For once I don't have to cut the bass and crank the presence.

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Reaction score
"New" CustomBuckers? Is there a newer version since 2013? If there is, I'd like to know the difference. They came stock on my 2013 R9, which was first year for CB's among other changes for that year (e.g., no more truss rod condom, alanine dye on the back and sides, etc.).

What do you personally like about CB's? I like their airy-ness and wide range of versatility. My R9 lacks a little low-end and favors top-end bite - an observation, not a complaint. In a live mix, that equals a great LP tone that cuts through a live mix. For once I don't have to cut the bass and crank the presence.
How about "new-ish" haha? I have 3 Historic Les Pauls, an '04 R8, a '00 R7 and a '23 R8. The '23 is the first time I've tried the CB. I find it doesn't choke my top end ("airy" is a pretty good description) but still has a nice midrange grind that some vintage wound humbuckers miss on. I pretty much cut most of my low end so that doesn't really matter to me at all. Both of my other historics had new pickups pretty quickly--pretty sure they were Burstbucker 1&2.

Latest posts