What is your Number One?

• Thread starter speyfly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

speyfly

Reaction score
Just curious about what guitar you would consider your #1.

For me it's a heavily modified 2011 Blacktop Tele, an amazing guitar. It was a few days after my birthday so I decided to go to our local GC and see if there was anything I liked. Looked around for a while and thought a new guitar might be nice but where to start. Played various Gibson's but I pretty much had that covered. I had just sold a Strat that I had a love/hate relationship with, all ready had a Tele but I noticed a Tele with humbuckers, black on silver, rose wood board, really nice looking guitar. It was sitting in a floor display so I picked it up, sat down, tuned it where it was set at and started playing. Acoustically it had a great voice that projected well, absolutely fell in love with the neck. Never plugged it in and bought it on the spot knowing that I was going to do a full mod on it, and I've never looked back. She's the sweetest playing of all my girls and has a voice to die for.

List Price-$449, paid $399

Mod-
Custom vintage wound Alnico II's
Switchcraft toggle
CT pots
upgraded block saddles
upgraded Fender tuners
installed/removed Bigsby (I'll fix it one of these days)

rock and roll machine.JPG

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
As of right now my #1 is my LP Standard, but I have a Tribute that's slowly but surely gaining ground. As much as I hate to admit it, I think I'm only a pickup swap away from the Tribute taking the lead.

bp741d8.jpg

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm at a tie for 1st place - my Tribute & Studio
I can't say I like one more than the other, but I'd take either over all the rest.
How about a number one amp?
That one - no contest.
lpt.jpglps.jpg

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
My number one is my 1957 gold top reissue LP, see my avatar at left. The backstory is my grade school music teacher had one and I was in awe and always wanted one. Fast forward 30 years later, I saved up the money over the course of a year to order a Standard to find out that there were no lefties available anywhere in the country except custom shop, and Gibson had no idea when they were going to do a lefty Standard run, so I had to save up even more to afford the custom shop. I bought a new 2007 57 reissue sight unseen over the telephone from a dealer on the other side of the country, he shipped it to me and I've been in love with it ever since. No other guitar I own sounds or feels like this one.

Last edited:

Tiboy

Reaction score
I don’t think in terms of prioritizing my gear in terms of favorite. I love all my gear because if I didn’t I’d move it on. Having said that I can say objectively based on play time my most used guitar by far is my Knaggs Kenai soap bar goldtop.IMG_0329.jpeg

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
My #1 for like 15-16 years now is my Gary Kramer Custom. Still all original (outside of the D-Tuna I installed), The thing was absolutely perfect as is from the factory for me. It's extra special since I bought the very last one available from the factory and Leo Scala assembled it and set it up. He is also the one who designed these things. This thing is just so comfy with all of its contours and the neck is perfect for me. Plays and sounds fantastic.

donwagar

Reaction score
My number 1 is my '53 Goldtop. For me, it has the perfect neck shape. I really like P90s. It's exactly the guitar I'd wanted most of my life, including the trap tail (on '52 and early '53 Les Pauls).

I bought it quite a few years ago from an auction. it needed refinishing, it had been stripped and coated with poly.

It's not my #1 gig guitar for obvious reasons. That would be my 2001 '59 Reissue.

full

hsb

Reaction score
My number one is my 1992 Ibanez IC500 reissue, fits my hand like a glove. Did change the pickups from whatever stock ones Ibanez put in it to a SD Distortion in the bridge and a SD Black Winter neck with a black nickel finish.

circles

Reaction score
For many years my LP was my number one (well, only.) until I got this EOB Strat a couple years ago, it has sort of morphed into number 1, what with the trem bridge and Sustainer system built in. I like it. I put locking tuners and a shorter trem arm on it.

6 strat.jpg

Wezie Guitar lover

Reaction score
Just curious about what guitar you would consider your #1.

For me it's a heavily modified 2011 Blacktop Tele, an amazing guitar. It was a few days after my birthday so I decided to go to our local GC and see if there was anything I liked. Looked around for a while and thought a new guitar might be nice but where to start. Played various Gibson's but I pretty much had that covered. I had just sold a Strat that I had a love/hate relationship with, all ready had a Tele but I noticed a Tele with humbuckers, black on silver, rose wood board, really nice looking guitar. It was sitting in a floor display so I picked it up, sat down, tuned it where it was set at and started playing. Acoustical it had a great voice that projected well, absolutely fell in love with the neck. Never plugged it in and bought it on the spot knowing that I was going to do a full mod on it, and have never looked back. She's the sweetest playing of all my girls and has a voice to die for.

List Price-$449, paid $399

Mod-
Custom vintage wound Alnico II's
Switchcraft toggle
CT pots
upgraded block saddles
upgraded Fender tuners
installed/removed Bigsby (I'll fix it one of these days)

View attachment 144924
I have 2 I cannot decide. Custom 77 boutique or Italia Trev Wilkerson brand.

FB_IMG_1688447617150.jpgFB_IMG_1676007431791.jpgFB_IMG_1676007441798.jpgFB_IMG_1676007437936.jpgFB_IMG_1676007445460.jpg