What is....

• Thread starter Nic9981
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nic9981

Reaction score
.... the ONE amp you wish Marshall would build?

Mine would be a 2204 clone with 2x6v6's pumping out around 15 watts with either a pentode/triode switch to drop the output to 7W or YJM/AFD style power scaling (bypassible).

Other than that it would be exaclty as an 80's JCM800 single channel amp, giving you the chance to run it cranked as nature intended at pub gig volumes!

Perhaps it could be the start of a mini series of 15W 'real-world' heads; a 1959 15W, a JVM 15W. In fact, perhaps that would have been a better anniversary range than the bloomin' 1W jobbies.....

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
A JVM4 with 6550's, EPA, noise gates in place of the reverb, auto bias, and tighter and less gainy OD2. :)

Or, a 3-channel Marshal Mosfet with a 400W Mosfet power section in place of a 100W one, MIDI capabilities, noise gate for the OD channels, a better clean channel, the overdrive channel would be the same, and the 3rd channel would be like the OD2 of the JVM, just will less gain, tighter low end, and a mid sweep feature like on the 410JS.

So, pretty much a solid state JVM. :lol:

12barjunkie

Reaction score

Mine would be a 2204 clone with 2x6v6's pumping out around 15 watts with either a pentode/triode switch to drop the output to 7W or YJM/AFD style power scaling (bypassible).

Other than that it would be exaclty as an 80's JCM800 single channel amp, giving you the chance to run it cranked as nature intended at pub gig volumes!

Perhaps it could be the start of a mini series of 15W 'real-world' heads; a 1959 15W, a JVM 15W. In fact, perhaps that would have been a better anniversary range than the bloomin' 1W jobbies.....

+1 I couldn't have said it any better!

flyjones

Reaction score
Mine would be a 2204 clone with 2x6v6's pumping out around 15 watts with either a pentode/triode switch to drop the output to 7W.

Here is the exact amp you have described. It's not a Marshall and it's a little pricey but it sounds great in the demo video.

Empire Amp - 65AMPS // the unmistakable sound of a generation

flyjones

Reaction score
There are also rumors going around that Marshall is coming out with a 15 watt DSL. Not exactly an 800 but it might do the trick.

Nic9981

Reaction score
There are also rumors going around that Marshall is coming out with a 15 watt DSL. Not exactly an 800 but it might do the trick.

I know there is - I started the thread on here about it!!! =D

Anyway, this one was just meant to be a bit of a fantasy realm :naughty:

Fe911

Reaction score
How bout a class 10 with a single el34 instead of the el84? And maybe the 2204 tonestack with a master volume? Single g12 speaker to taste...

hbach

Reaction score

Sounds like the stuff Guitar-Rocker is building. His work he has posted looks really neat and the soundclips were nice too.

microhead

Reaction score
here's an out of the box one, maybe. combine digital circuits with a tube amp like this: (and it might not even be possible, but...)

take something like mentioned above, the standard, a jcm800, but make it a 20 watter or so, BUT: choose some of the legendary tones associated with it like joe perry, slash, kk, etc and use logic circuitry to over-ride the tone settings when the "classic" tones are engaged. use the chips to decide how the all-tube amp is set, not to model the tone without tubes. maybe even a 5 watter single end dealie but instead of only a gain knob, add a click-knob with like 8 options, 1 or 2 user ones, too.

microhead

Reaction score
here's an out of the box one, maybe. combine digital circuits with a tube amp like this: (and it might not even be possible, but...)

take something like mentioned above, the standard, a jcm800, but make it a 20 watter or so, BUT: choose some of the legendary tones associated with it like joe perry, slash, kk, etc and use logic circuitry to over-ride the tone settings when the "classic" tones are engaged. use the chips to decide how the all-tube amp is set, not to model the tone without tubes. maybe even a 5 watter single end dealie but instead of only a gain knob, add a click-knob with like 8 options, 1 or 2 user ones, too.

well, this sounds a bit CODE -ey, huh?

:D
:hmm:
:applause:

and yup. i'm a douche.

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
1) Put Bugera's infinium technology in all of the tube heads so you can use any octal base power tube.

2) Agree with the Jubilee wish, and add pre-amp/buffer to effects send

maxxi

Reaction score
JVM 410H with:
-reverb
-noise gate
-built-in boost
-choke
-satriani crunch channel, rest normal JVM voicing
-mid shift on clean channel and OD channels
-negative feedback control
-midi
-EPA
-auto bias(including the use of any octal based tube, or mix tubes)

I know Marshall already makes amps with these features, but it would be really cool to see them all in the same amp :D

spacerocker

Reaction score
JVM 410H with:
-reverb
-noise gate
-built-in boost
-choke
-satriani crunch channel, rest normal JVM voicing
-mid shift on clean channel and OD channels
-negative feedback control
-midi
-EPA
-auto bias(including the use of any octal based tube, or mix tubes)

I know Marshall already makes amps with these features, but it would be really cool to see them all in the same amp :D

Yes - my wish list would be similar, except

1) JCM800 flavoured Crunch channel (brighter than JVMH or JS version), but with more gain than 800.
2) OD channels with lower plate resistor values (as per JS) but H voicing
3) Micro adjustment to even out volume differences between modes (would have to be trim pots on the back, or somwhere to avoid upsetting the "too many knobs" merchants!:rolleyes:)

Fortunately for me, my modded JVM does just about all of the above - but it would be nice to see Marshall do a stock version with these features/voicing!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
A Vintage Modern but with EL34's.

Can't you get it modded for EL34s? Probably isn't difficult.

Also, my suggestion 4 years ago still is similar to what I had in mind.

A JVM4 with 6550's, EPA, noise gates in place of the reverb, auto bias, and tighter and less gainy OD2.

In this case, there would be a clean channel, a crunch channel, an OD1 based on the OD2 of the standard JVM with less gain and a tighter sound, and an OD2 based on the lead channels of the JVMJS. Kind of based on the JVM4 but without all the modes, since they wouldn't really be needed. Still would have 6550s, EPA, noise gates, auto bias, MIDI, etc etc. I'd also include a slave output to run into an external power amp, similar to the Laney GH100TI and Mesa Mark series amps.

EDIT: Or the OD1 channel can be the same as the OD2 on the JVM, but with a switchable mid boost ala a Tubescreamer to tighten things up.

Last edited: