What music opinions did you think were normal until the Internet told you they were "wrong"?

• Thread starter Cysquatch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cysquatch

Reaction score
I've always found it funny how people online seem to suddenly develop new, "correct" opinions on things as they spend more time online engaging with discourse about them. Obviously, more critical discourse is always good for an art form, but I also wonder how many unique voices have been lost to the collective. As such, I was examining my own opinions and how they've changed over time or how I was surprised to find them considered "wrong" by the online monobrain. I'm curious to see what thoughts, feelings, or opinions you guys have encountered this phenomenon with.

For me, it's liking Judas Priest's Point of Entry. It's not my favorite of their catalogue or even near it, but it's a solid album and I've always enjoyed its almost laid-back 70s arena rock vibe as a contrast to their more complex and aggressive work on either side of it. But, apparently it's pretty well hated as a commercial move by the band. While, I can't deny it's certainly a more radio-friendly turn by the crew, I don't think that inherently makes it worse. And I LOVE the original cover art, which is apparently widely accepted as absolute crap. Poke fun all you want, but it's such a cool, abstract image that sets a specific mood perfectly for me. Honestly one of my favorite covers of all time.

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I loved and still do Point of Entry. Catchy songs. Rockin fun...

The internet said to use ONLY time based effects in loop thus the addition of an EQ UP FRONT for my Jubilee didn't really add any volume for a solo boost.
This forum helped by saying to experiment with stuff, no right or wrong.
Loop EQ can almost add another channel to any amp.
Just an example.

The interwebs also make it seem like I should like GnR in spite of Axl's off key caterwauling.
Nope.
Not gonna happen.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My opinions are formed by my tastes, not the internet, music included.

I love Point of Entry.

Heading out to the Highway has been one of my Amplifier test riffs for decades.

Imo British Steel is equally as "poppy" if that even makes sense. I love Both albums.

Of course what do I know...I love April Wine too. Go ahead. Bash me. :D

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
My opinions are formed by my tastes, not the internet, music included.

I love Point of Entry.

Heading out to the Highway has been one of my Amplifier test riffs for decades.

Imo British Steel is equally as "poppy" if that even makes sense. I love Both albums.

Of course what do I know...I love April Wine too. Go ahead. Bash me. :D
Amen!! Agreed 100%
💯

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, are we going the wrong way with this? What did we believe until the internet told us we were wrong...I think we are...lol..either way I stand by my contention Oasis ain't no Beatles. :D

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Wait, are we going the wrong way with this? What did we believe until the internet told us we were wrong...I think we are...lol..

That's the way I took it. I think the OP meant thinking something is great/normal and then finding out the majority thinks the opposite, but there are many instances (at least for me) where the internet debunked popular belief...like my truss rod comment. I remember the first time I tweaked my truss rod (long before the internet) and when I told my buddy his eyes got real big and he literally thought I ruined my guitar. lol

Last edited:

Whizzercone

Reaction score
I remember when they claimed that. :lol:
In 1995, I went to see the new Beatles at the Masquerade in Atlanta and what I saw instead was a boring band that played the same mediocre song 15 times. They even played I Am The Walrus and made it sound the same. They were like grandpa's AC/DC before AC/DC was grandpa's AC/DC. I'm done...

wmachine

Reaction score
I really don't understand the question. Honestly. Maybe some of it is me, maybe some of it is my age, meaning to times I grew up in. Like prior to the internet. All of my opinions have been normal at he time, And I really didn't give a sh*t what others opinions of what I thought at any time. To me, Rock music had a basis of not giving a sh*t what others may think of their music. Non conformity. Rebellion.
The internet doesn't tell me I'm wrong. In fact I'm relieved I don't see things the same way the internet does. My honest reaction is "Who gives a sh*t"? I Sorry, no offense to the OP, but that's my honest answer. My apologies if I totally missed the question.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oasis Definitely aren't Lennon and McCartney.

And I liked them Gallagher guys better when they were smashing watermelons with big hammers.

Cysquatch

Reaction score
I really don't understand the question. Honestly. Maybe some of it is me, maybe some of it is my age, meaning to times I grew up in. Like prior to the internet. All of my opinions have been normal at he time, And I really didn't give a sh*t what others opinions of what I thought at any time. To me, Rock music had a basis of not giving a sh*t what others may think of their music. Non conformity. Rebellion.
The internet doesn't tell me I'm wrong. In fact I'm relieved I don't see things the same way the internet does. My honest reaction is "Who gives a sh*t"? I Sorry, no offense to the OP, but that's my honest answer. My apologies if I totally missed the question.
The question isn't whether you gave a shit, because I sure didn't and don't. But more whether you've experienced that phenomenon of "oh, I thought that was normal. Huh."

I suppose to further articulate what I mean from the original prompt, what made it so weird was the fact that my sphere all dug it to some degree or another. My best friend and I loved it in high school, even tried to find posters of the cover. So to me, it was like "well yeah, it's a good album, of course I like it." But suddenly seeing a broader paradigm that's inverse to that thought was just really strange and I think a unique experience to a certain age that straddles the pre- and post-internet worlds. That sudden exposure to a much wider sphere of opinion is fascinating. I just find that to be an odd eccentricity of our time and place.

Cysquatch

Reaction score
That's the way I took it. I think the OP meant thinking something is great/normal and then finding out the majority thinks the opposite, but there are many instances (at least for me) where the internet debunked popular belief...like my truss rod comment. I remember the first time I tweaked my truss rod (long before the internet) and when I told my buddy his eyes got real big and he literally thought I ruined my guitar. lol
Meh, either way really. Just that experience of realizing your idea of a "normal" thought, opinion, whatever was apparently abnormal according to the unfathomable depths of internet hivemindery. See my above clarifying reply to @wmachine; more than anything just that sudden exposure to a different accepted paradigm.

giblesp

Reaction score
One of the first scenes I was into as a teenager, was the UK 'Indie,' scene of the early 90's. The Stone Roses, etc.

The Britpop that came after, was terrible.