What Overdrive pedals do you use on the clean channel?

• Thread starter Darrenw5094
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Darrenw5094

Reaction score
Satriani has used Marshalls for ages, apart from the PSX years, but he has always used just the clean channel with and overdrive. The Boss DS-1 (shudder), but not the stock one. I went out and bought the DS-1, not realising that it was modded to sound useable.

Anyway, what overdrive/distortion pedals do you use in front of your Marshall?
Mr. Wilder won't be interested in this one.:fingersx:

wkcchampion

Reaction score
Absolutely NONE.
pedal = transistor device = lack of dynamics
no pedal = valve overdrive = the tone we all want.

Best pedal is (for vintage crunch) master volume on 10!

plankbadger

Reaction score
The only pedal that I found that was pretty good was the Ibanez Metal Charger.
However, it's hard to find an unmodified one because some people try and change them into a more tubescreamer sound.

Darrenw5094

Reaction score
Absolutely NONE.
pedal = transistor device = lack of dynamics
no pedal = valve overdrive = the tone we all want.

Best pedal is (for vintage crunch) master volume on 10!

Yep. I don't use one as i have the JVM, but i woudn't mind throwing in one for a change. Better than changing to Mesa and then realising that you should have stayed with Marshall.:lol:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use OD pedals on a already breaking up valve amp. Never on a clean only channel. It just lacks feel relying too much on the pedal only in that sense. The DSL's Crunch channel is perfect for OD boosting. I'm sure the JVM's can benefit from an OD as well. I'm not a purist. There are plenty of valve amp users that use pedals to boost.

Transparent OD
Route 808
Boosta Grande
OCD
Bad Monkey

dugger

Reaction score
I use a Tonebone Hot British distortion pedal on my 3203 "clean" channel. I have to...the distrortion channel stinks. Together with a blackface bassman, run in stereo ,it's sounds good for now.

7daysofhell

Reaction score
Most of the time its my Boss GT3. Before that it was the SD1. I should really upgrade to the GT10, trouble is for that price I could get a canny guitar. Lol...I used to have a DS1 . I bought it when it came out Sounded great through an old Proamp I used to have 6L6's in that.

dugger

Reaction score
Clean channel? What's that? I never knew such a thing existed. Can someone please enlighten me? :D

Jon...don't you go for that surf sound sometimes? Kinda a clean Strat, Dire Straits, Eric Johnson type thing? I have to in my band.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew this thread wasn't for you.:lol:

6101, JVM and a few others have a channel with NO overdrive.

How does JS get such a great tone from a modded poxy DS-1?

I think his great "playing" is covering up his mediocre tone...:p

lucidspoon

Reaction score
I use a Boss SD-1 on my crunch channel for when I need a harsher overdrive and don't care about dynamics, or on the lead channel for when I want to destroy the crowd. :lol: I really only use it for parts of 2 songs, but it was worth the $40.

rjohns1

Reaction score
Blackstar HT-Dual on clean setting with the volume up. Kicks the yellow channel of my 6100 into sweet valve crunchies. Tubes into tubes are where it's at.

poeman33

Reaction score
I use the DS-1 for leads on my Class 5 when I am playing it at lower volumes. It doesn't sound as bad as people make it out to be, and serves the purpose. I am considering the Keeley mod though, as it does lose quite a bit of the mojo the Class 5 has without it.

core

Reaction score
I'm currently using the Boss SD-1 Overdrive, Gain 0, Vol 10, Tone 5, on both channels of the JCM900 4100 and it gives it a nice extra edge. B channel gain noon, A channel gain maxxed.

I also use a Dimebag Wah pedal with the dial cranked forward, volume up and pedal down. This also gives it a nice edge with rhythms similar to the SD-1 and then you get that extra cool wah tone in your solos with increased sustain.

As soon as it arrives I'll be switching to a Morley Distortion/Vol/Wah pedal and set it up similar so I just have it all in one deal. Clean on Gain up on Volume. For me I really like the sound of solos with a wah all the way down because it's still retaining all the Marshall gain and tone. It screams!

I've tried using the gain from the SD-1 UP with the gain on the amp clean and it loses all of it's thickness and character. Sounds awful and stale.

trobdcso

Reaction score
I use Boss OS2 on the clean side when I want to push it.

rjohns1

Reaction score
The dual is the one with od and dist?

Well, sort of. It has two channels, green and red. Red is molten hot, you can go from 80's metal, to almost death metal levels of gain. The green channel has two modes: clean and crunch. If I run the crunch mode, I get classic rock distortion, ala a cranked 2203/2204. If I run the clean mode, and crank the gain, it goes into a slight bit of overdrive, especially if you have hot pickups. In addtion, the volume knob has quite a bit of volume boost, at halfway, you can match the levels of the unit off to the unit being engaged, and crank that puppy up, and you get one helluva boost. With true bypass, this pedal is insane. With my 6100 and this pedal, I have the equivalent of 12 channels.

Latest posts