What was the first song/piece of music you tried learning

• Thread starter Slowerhand
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Slowerhand

Reaction score
Was on Youtube today listening to music and one thing led to another and I wound up listening to the Yardbirds "Heart Full of Soul". This reminded me of when I first picked up the guitar. I never learned the chords when I first started but instead tried to learn the solo. I practiced and played that solo so damn often I even used it to tune my guitar's strings to the notes of the solo because I knew what they were supposed to sound like lol. playing it now it seems so easy but back then...lol. Anyway what was your first song/music piece/ part of a song that you learned? Have you tried playing it recently?

Cheers,
Mike

Lowlife

Reaction score
When I started my big goal was the first solo in "I could have lied" by Red Hot Chili Peppers...and since this was back in '93 various metallica and slayer things

bvoris

Reaction score
My cousin taught me this song on my Fender Squire Strat through my 10watt fender amp
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTuD8k3JvxQ]Alice In Chains - Them Bones - YouTube[/ame]

GIBSON67

Reaction score
House of the Rising Sun...I remember learning that one, too.

Wild Thing was my first real jam song and Purple Haze was the first song I sat down and learned all the way through.

33KHD

Reaction score
Don't remember first song...first solo was Snowblind. Yeah...pretty basic but I sucked....

poeman33

Reaction score
I can't remember. All I remember is that my older brother was trying to learn guitar and was frustrated with it. He had a borrowed guitar and tons of song books. I pick up the guitar and a song book and learned a song by looking at the chord diagrams. Pissed him off to no end that I did it so fast. I have no idea what song it was...American Pie or something...maybe earlier than that.

V-man

Reaction score
First thing I learned was One, by Metallica... the song that was responsible both for starting my playing and ending theirs. The next was Crazy Train.... something I still struggle with over 20 years later

Lucifuge

Reaction score
The first song I learned all the way through on acoustic long before I had my first electric guitar was REM -Driver 8. The first song I learned on Electric guitar was Lil Devil by the Cult.

The Cult - Lil' Devil - YouTube

That was the first song I learned to play and sing all the way through...:thumb:

Surprised it wasn't a SD song...:cool:

Reckless_Life

Reaction score
For me it was "Apache" by The Shadows.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNAyPK2O4fk[/ame]

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Both my brothers and dad all had guitars around the house, so naturally I picked them up to fool with. Me being a lefty I would hold their guitars upside down but it didnt stop me from learning Smoke on the Water, then Paranoid and Sunshine of My Life. I played like this for 10 years until I was 16 and realized I should buy a lefty guitar and really learn to play. First songs I learned were Heart of Gold and then Purple Haze.

So the very first song I learned then was Smoke on the Water.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
Come as you are. Then I started getting lessons

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
This is the first song I learned on guitar (still enjoy playing it to this day) ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSDNA5xB_-I]Billy Squier - Lonely Is The Night (Studio Version) - YouTube[/ame]