• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

What Would Be The American Amp Equivalent To The Marshall Jcm 800 2203?

• Thread starter Benjamin isaacs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Is it a good idea

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

Benjamin isaacs

Reaction score
I have a Gordon Smith Graduate (British Guitar) and a Marshall JCM 800 2203, i also have a Gibson Les Paul Traditional and I plan on doing a YouTube video called British rig vs American rig, I want to buy an American amp with us similar to the Marshall JCM 800 2203 in terms I’m numbet if channels, wattage and sound, would the Peavey 6505 be a the best choice or is that unfair? I want this to be as equal as possible, what do you think for the idea for the vid? Do you like it?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I have no idea, but 6505 no, I've heard people compare the Peavey Windsor as similar. I'd be interested in what people say the equivalent is.

Buzzard

Reaction score
mesa stilleto deuce 1, channel 1 crunch does a nice late 70's jmp 2204/2203, channel 2 does jcm800 2204/3. the deuce 1 is more classic vintage ,deuce 2 is more modern. Ive got one. I hear the peavey vtm and early butcher does a great jcm 800 .

Crunchifyable

Reaction score
The 6505 (and 6505+) have a similar tonestack to Marshall, and the rhythm channel sounds a lot like an 800 to my ears. But keep in mind the Peavey's are based on a Soldano SLO which in turn seems like it's based on an 800 with a special lead channel. And I don't think you're aiming to compare Marshall derivatives but the best American "opposite" to the 800.

I'd say the closet American equivalent is an early Mesa Boogie master volume model. Some version of a Mark II maybe. Not equivalent is circuits but in the fact it was an late 70s / early 80s thing with a master volume and a limited amount of gain. Equivalent in the sense of an American contemporary to the British. And also the fact that Mesa was producing master volume amps before Marshall leads something to the fact that Mesa's circuit is probably not a direct copy of a Plexi / 800.

You'd have to find a popular 80s American amp that wasn't a direct copy of a Marshall or a modded Marshall. So IMO that's probably the Mark 2 series Mesa.

As I recall Tony Iommi used them in the early 80s. How's that for British gone American?

The better vintage ones are kind of unobtanium, but the have a John Petrucci Mark II model out that's probably similar to what Iommi played in the 80s.

Last edited:

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Friedman....no brainer. I have my dirty Shirley dialed in as an 800....and it’s better than any 800 I’ve played. Very pricey. The pink taco.....ditto. But very good. Their reputation for great tone is well deserved.

If on a budget, Also look at the Carvin legacy. I have a 2 and 3. Both can be dialed in British. The 2 was co designed with fargen so it has a hint of plexi in it. The 2 can be had in mint condition for 500 Usd.

Talking of fargen....several offerings....might be more plexi than 800.

EndGame00

Reaction score
Fargen Olde 800 and Dual British Classic have the 80’s Mode, which is basically a JCM800 with more gain on tap... Friedman’s own BE and Smallbox 2nd channel is also a modded 800... Look into Splawn’s...

Ghostman

Reaction score
Born and bred in the U.S.of.A!

0l2q9AQ.jpg

AlanH

Reaction score
Why not do what I would call a cross over comparison. Buy an American amp (with an American voicing) and then compare the British and American guitars through it and then do the same through your British amp.

houseofrock

Reaction score
Not sure if this qualifies but the Sovtek Mig 60 is supposed to be a JCM800 clone.
Designed by Electro Harmonix manufactured in Russia.
The Mig50 is more like a plexi I think.

liontato

Reaction score
That's not me, but this is the video that sealed the deal on me buying a Deuce II head! And yes-that's what it sounds like on its own with no help from a boost or overdrive.
That amp sounds incredible for sure. They got that one right.

Buzzard

Reaction score
That mesa stilleto is boosted with a ts pedal I believe.He either states it in the vid or under the comments on you tube. I saw this vid years ago. Imo the amp dosen't need boosting at all,especially the deuce 2.

Latest posts