• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Where in #$&!! is any GOOD RUBBER CEMENT!?

fifteenohms

Reaction score
I would like to know where in the crap the good rubber contact cement is at?

I got this nasty old Carvin grey ozite cab staring me down each time I go in the garage:

“Help me.. fix me.”

Not today buddy, because as much as Id like to retolex the thing, I have to find a good glue.

I used to use Red Devil Rubber Contact Glue Adhesive, but Weldwood bought em out.

Then, Peoples Republic of Los Angeles decided to ban high VOC glues so then Weldwood went to neoprene or water-based contact glues.

This trash isn’t even fit to glue paper IT SUUUUUCKS.

And then recently, EPA banned methylene chloride based paint stripper (aka the only stuff that works any decent) so taking down fuzzy ozite-covered cabs is now a murderously laborious affair.

So: can you tell me, WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOOD GLUES GONE?

I will order industrial-sized buckets of it from out-of-state I DONT CARE!

If I waste another afternoon on a retolex job, I don’t think it’s fair to have to fight tacking down onto inferior glue bonds that just don’t stick.

Give me rubber glue, and all that headache-inducing Acetone that goes with it, or I know the job will get ruined -so why do it!

Where can I buy the good old stuff?

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
@fifteenohms

Kind sir type dude!

Look at your post, split apart a few of the longer lines and you got the lyrics for a great song! At least the basis of one. I've already got several different rhythm grooves goin' on my head.... If ya don't do it yourself, would you have any objections to me utilizing some of your words and phrasings in a song? There's a certain rhythmic property that your choice of words created!

Hey I mean, c'mon, after all, isn't writing cool and even sometimes goofy or "tongue in cheek" songs supposed to be at least one goal that almost any player should likely aspire to! If for no other reason than to write the complete song and perform it for yourself, even if you're the only one who ever hears it! Very liberating and great practice for your chops!

Just Sayin'
Gene

Last edited:

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I would like to know where in the crap the good rubber contact cement is at?

I got this nasty old Carvin grey ozite cab staring me down each time I go in the garage:

“Help me.. fix me.”

Not today buddy, because as much as Id like to retolex the thing, I have to find a good glue.

I used to use Red Devil Rubber Contact Glue Adhesive, but Weldwood bought em out.

Then, Peoples Republic of Los Angeles decided to ban high VOC glues so then Weldwood went to neoprene or water-based contact glues.

This trash isn’t even fit to glue paper IT SUUUUUCKS.

And then recently, EPA banned methylene chloride based paint stripper (aka the only stuff that works any decent) so taking down fuzzy ozite-covered cabs is now a murderously laborious affair.

So: can you tell me, WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOOD GLUES GONE?

I will order industrial-sized buckets of it from out-of-state I DONT CARE!

If I waste another afternoon on a retolex job, I don’t think it’s fair to have to fight tacking down onto inferior glue bonds that just don’t stick.

Give me rubber glue, and all that headache-inducing Acetone that goes with it, or I know the job will get ruined -so why do it!

Where can I buy the good old stuff?

It's called industrial contact cement.

fifteenohms

Reaction score
Thanks GB. Just thank me in the liner notes to your next release.. or find me some of that good old rubber stinky stuff!

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Link me my Brothermann...

Z-DJ1vfo5oz.JPG

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Everybody who does CRAP work,
You mean, is going for NeoCRAPene.

"Everybody who does CRAP work,"

:lol::lol::lol:

It's the environmental regulations, people need to move from VOC volatile organic compounds. "Causes Cancer in the State of California..."
We are all required (now) to reduce our toxic exposure.
The Neoprene is not as bad as it sounds.

fifteenohms

Reaction score
"Everybody who does CRAP work,"

:lol::lol::lol:

It's the environmental regulations, people need to move from VOC volatile organic compounds. "Causes Cancer in the State of California..."
We are all required (now) to reduce our toxic exposure.
The Neoprene is not as bad as it sounds.
Rubbish: not my data, not my experience.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
In re-wrapping drumsets, Weldwood contact cement that's available at any hardware store is commonly by casual users, but The Real Shit is 3M brand NF-30. I would assume it can be used on tolex, if anyone knows any different let me know.
I say this because there are certain drum finishes (ie any type of Satin Flame) that are destroyed by Weldwood glue and can only be applied with pva.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Oh yeah, voc respirator is so mandatory with this stuff it's not even funny. I cranked the heat in my apartment to suitable gluing temps (middle of ski season at 9000' elevation) and wrapped an old Ludwig kit. Took the mask off for THREE SECONDS in the hour or so I was working, just for fun, and almost went down. Strong stuff.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
In re-wrapping drumsets, Weldwood contact cement that's available at any hardware store is commonly by casual users, but The Real Shit is 3M brand NF-30. I would assume it can be used on tolex, if anyone knows any different let me know.
I say this because there are certain drum finishes (ie any type of Satin Flame) that are destroyed by Weldwood glue and can only be applied with pva.
*edit* I am starting to wonder if the formula for this hasn't changed, just as the op was complaining of- there is NO WAY the stuff I've used was low odor, no-toxic, green, etc. Tbh, it was about 7 or 8 years ago.

Latest posts