Which DSL to go for

• Thread starter daveyboy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

daveyboy

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm at the point of buying either a 20W or 100W DSL HR and am torn.....

Currently I use an AVT 150 through a Marshall 4X12 and have it DI'd into the PA but I'm thinking of upgrading to a DSL and am torn whether to go 20 or 100w - clearly there's a £200 price difference but I'm more interested in what would sound better. We play mainly small venues, pubs or village halls etc. and I'm looking to have the head through the 4X12 and either mic it up or D/I it. I play an Epiphone LP Black Beauty custom (3 Alnico's) - we play mainly light Rock n Roll, typical wedding venue type stuff but I must admit I like to rock it up and shove some KISS or ZZ Top stuff in there every opportunity I get hahaha.

My question is - would the 20 cranked up sound better than the 100 at a lower volume or would the 100 be the better choice ? Also, I spend a fair bit of time home playing and that is what was pushing me towards the 20 but just not sure that would cut it for gigs...

Any comments welcome. Cheers.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the 20 if I were you.

But I'm me, so I'd go with the 100

:headbanger:

Kidding aside, you'll likely be able to crank your 20 into the sweet spot at a fairly comfortable level whereas the 100 watt would likely be drowning everybody else out before the power section starts giving up the goods.

DSLs can sound good at moderate levels, even the big ones. Let your personal taste make the final decision

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Currently I use an AVT 150 through a Marshall 4X12 and have it DI'd into the PA but I'm thinking of upgrading to a DSL and am torn whether to go 20 or 100w - clearly there's a £200 price difference but I'm more interested in what would sound better. We play mainly small venues, pubs or village halls etc. and I'm looking to have the head through the 4X12 and either mic it up or D/I it. I play an Epiphone LP Black Beauty custom (3 Alnico's) - we play mainly light Rock n Roll, typical wedding venue type stuff but I must admit I like to rock it up and shove some KISS or ZZ Top stuff in there every opportunity I get hahaha.

My question is - would the 20 cranked up sound better than the 100 at a lower volume or would the 100 be the better choice ? Also, I spend a fair bit of time home playing and that is what was pushing me towards the 20 but just not sure that would cut it for gigs...

:welcome: to the forum.
I love my 20HR - never played a 100.
The 100 has more channel features, but the same additional features are also on the 40CR.
From what you describe as playing small gigs and at home, seems like the 40 might be worth considering,
You can still run the 40 out to a 412 (or 2) if you want.
Probably plenty of balls for gigs on its own, and I've heard it's also fantastic as a home amp.

steveb63

Reaction score
Can only comment on the twenty watt head, as I've never played the hundred watt. I, however did own the DSL 40C.

Could never get a tone that wasn't "meh" on the forty watter. That's just me, lots of other folks just love 'em.

The twenty watt, with master up past 2 o'clock, and channel volume around 1-2 o'clock sounds awesome. Works very well for my use, recording. A real quality tone, And loud enough for the guys I jam with.

You do have a dilemma, the 100 watt would be my second choice, it's just that the 20 watt head is working very well for me. Most definitely be my recommendation. If you can find a couple to try out. I would say if you can't do a real life trial- go with the 20. There's enough tones in that I feel safe with giving it a great review. It sounds just awesome on both channels, and you get other tones by just spinning the volume on either channel.

Sorry, so long winded.

The 20 is my vote, of course tone is subjective, but for my hard rock to metal tones I say DSL 20HR.

steveb63

Reaction score
To me bigger bottles and iron always sounds more open and bigger, even when turned down.
Agreed.
The new DSL 20 HR uses EL 34's for power tubes.

But if you were to side by side them, out putting the same db's, I agree the 100 watt would sound "fuller"

Never notice it when it's played on it's own, and recorded can't hear it either. But you do have a valid point there.

That's why, in a perfect world, he'd get the opportunity to plug in and try before purchase.

Of course, very subjective things here, this is just my take, YMMV, IMHO etc... but at least we have given him some food for thought.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi all.

If i were a gigging man with a DSL I'd go for the DSL40CR combo, its a full featured middle of the road DSL.

Max Gahne

Reaction score
I have a 20HR and it's very loud even in half power mode. If you have neighbors you aren't going to get to play it cranked at home. But on the other hand it might not be loud enough to keep up with your drummer onstage. The 100 has a lot of features the 20 doesn't have that you might end up liking. For my use the 20 is great but if I were gigging I'd go with the 100.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
Everyone has their opinions. To me with the venues you're playing and the music you're doing, I really don't see where the DSL20HR wouldn't do everything you need. Both sound great and whatever extra ummph in bottom end and thickness in tone, I really don't think you'll miss. Nor the extra volume and headroom. But for what you're doing the DSL40CR seems much better. Why haul the 4-12 around? The single 40 watt combo DSL40CR with the right speaker upgrade and miking it with a Sennheiser E609 or E906 hanging in front at the edge of the dustcap and cone, going to the PA and/or direct from the emulated out and your tone and projection for the venue are covered. And if you wanted more speakers a 1-12 cab is an easy add and easier to haul. And the volume and headroom should be all you need.

iu

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Yup, 40 or 100 for all of the features.

UNLESS you want power tube distortion. If you want power tube breakup then I'd suggest lower wattage.

Edit: where are my manners?

:welcome:

Last edited:

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
I have my 600 inverted.
Once you're familiar with the knob layout, you'll never read the labels anyway.
View attachment 125291

You're right. My 40c has been sitting upside down on the combo shell for months and I have no problems... aside from OCD and the look of the upside down writing. :run::lol:

Last edited: