Which Marshall amps (can) use diode clipping?

• Thread starter Roadburn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

robertkoa

Reaction score
I have an ADA MP1 which I will use for Recording into Cab IRs.

I was surprised that the old ADA Depot Mods Guys had Mods for more gain, the unit

has lots of gain.

I was asking them to add the Third Tube to eliminate some of the solid state stuff so the gain would be smoother , more harmonic.

Diode clipping usually sounds harsh to me even before I knew what it was or which devices used it...

Can a third tube be added to an MP1 in place of the Diode Clipper to achieve similar levels of Gain with fatter tones and more even order harmonic distortion, sweeter Tones ?

Last edited:

robertkoa

Reaction score
I have an ADA MP1 which I will use for Recording into Cab IRs.

I was surprised that the old ADA Depot Mods Guys had Mods for more gain, the unit

has lots of gain.

I was asking them to add the Third Tube to eliminate some of the solid state stuff so the gain would be smoother , more harmonic.

Diode clipping usually sounds harsh to me even before I knew what it was or which devices used it...

Can a third tube be added to an MP1 in place of the Diode Clipper to achieve similar kwvels of Gain with fatter tones and more even order harmonic distortion, sweeter Tones ?

djd100

Reaction score
A stock ADA MP-1's distortion generation is all tube (cln and dist), 4 gain-stages, though it does have active EQ with solid state components and buffers, so a solid state tonestack.

There is also a solid state clean channel (ss).

ADA Depot has a 3 tube mod that just increases gain, and some other mods to make it quieter, as well as a mod to convert the last gain-stage (V2B?), to a cathode follower for a more Marshall'ish sound/feel etc.

The new ADA MP-1 Channel "pedal" has the same 4 stage tube channels as the old rack (cln and dist), but no solid state clean channel, no chorus, and no MIDI. I have one on a flyboard, it sounds great!

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
Add JCM600 and JTM60 series amps to the list. Electronically, they are the same. In fact, every PCB in my JCM602 is labelled JTM60.

Latest posts