Which Marshall's have a Plate Driven Tone Stack?

• Thread starter EL34Norge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EL34Norge

Reaction score
I read the Jubilee and JCM 800 2205/2210 are plate driven tone stacks.
I had one on a Splawn Competition and that's why I sold that amp or I would still have it.
Any other Marshalls that don't have a cathode follower into the tone stack?

Tatzmann

Reaction score
If i remember correctly the early version of the 2210/05 did have a cathodefollower valve. But not infront of the tonestack, but infront of the clipping diodes somewhere after the boost eq. So, platedriven tonestacks is correct for all the 2210/05 versions. But that is not a major problem in those. What makes you think that the platedriven eq was the root of your dislike for the Splawn? It has probably too many gainstages for your liking. Can you post a schematic?

Tatzmann

Reaction score
To add to the list: The early 1980's 250w Model 2000 didn't have the cathodefollower valve before the eq, but after it, just like the early 2210/05. An S.G. thing, i assume.

Another one is the 2nd of the two early, maybe never publicly released versions of the JCM900DualReverb. It has an IC-driven tonestack...you'll definately wan't to avoid that one! 😜

EL34Norge

Reaction score
If i remember correctly the early version of the 2210/05 did have a cathodefollower valve. But not infront of the tonestack, but infront of the clipping diodes somewhere after the boost eq. So, platedriven tonestacks is correct for all the 2210/05 versions. But that is not a major problem in those. What makes you think that the platedriven eq was the root of your dislike for the Splawn? It has probably too many gainstages for your liking. Can you post a schematic?
The Splawn needed the Treble off to introduce the mids into the amp and you could use the presence knob in place of treble (kind of). My 2205 was similar to the Splawn, but not as drastic. All the mentioned amps are great amps. I couldn't bond with the tone stack situation is all..
And with the treble up it was difficult for the amp to cut thru the mix live.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
The Splawn needed the Treble off to introduce the mids into the amp and you could use the presence knob in place of treble (kind of). My 2205 was similar to the Splawn, but not as drastic. All the mentioned amps are great amps. I couldn't bond with the tone stack situation is all..
And with the treble up it was difficult for the amp to cut thru the mix live.
That's definitely not the case with the Jubilees.